Off topic posts from old thread

Old 06-13-08, 11:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just another instance where threads should be closed after a year.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-08, 04:25 PM
To the right person, DTamm's contribution would be invaluable. Personally, I'm glad the thread was still open. In two more years someone else might stumble across this subject and leave another gem of information.

jc

Old 06-13-08, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
It's the old debate. Being able to open and view is one thing, but I've seen threads (in my short time here) go 5-10 replys, even though it was old. Thats what the new post button is for. Info is always good, don't need a question to post that.

Old 06-13-08, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
As far as old threads go there is no debate about their value.

Anyone who is inconvenienced or bothered by the age of a thread need not post to them.

Old 06-14-08, 05:31 AM
greg - You misunderstand the frustration. Your "don't post to them" doesn't address the problem. It's not a matter of posting to years old topics, it's reading them because the forum view doesn't indicate the date of the OP and the software doesn't archive correctly.

New members come along, find a post 5 years old and resurrect them. The dusted off post then shows up as a new topic and the rest of us waste time reading them.

I still don't understand why it's so difficult to archive old posts and make them read only but obviously member complaints fall on deaf ears.

Old 06-14-08, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Anyone who is inconvenienced or bothered by the age of a thread need not post to them.
I agree

The dusted off post then shows up as a new topic and the rest of us waste time reading them.

if you have a interest in the subject how have you wasted time ?

or like Greg suggests scroll on

I just don't see this as a issue

Old 06-14-08, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs down

These off topic posts have been split off of this thread.

Complaints about closing older posts do not fall on deaf ears.
We have been hearing them......much too often!

As much as we have been hearing them they are not a valid complaint.
There is a potential for new information to be posted to an old thread and the posts that members make are not only for the benefit of the original poster.

I agree that there are members who are not familiar with forums but as much as they are capable of noting a posting date, experienced members are just as capable of noting the date and either politely responding with a mention of the date or just performing that "time wasting" second click to make the thread go away.

Old 06-14-08, 06:17 AM
nap
when youopen a post to reas it, the very first post is dated (as are all the posts) so if you continue to read an old thread where somebody has been necroposting, it is because youhave failed to notice the date.

If it is that important to you, make that your first action; read the date of the first post and if it is ancient, ignore it and move on. At that point, when another person posts to it, you should be able to recognize the title and simply ignore it.

Old 06-14-08, 06:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now I know why Oneofamill posted to an 8 year old post in the tool section intentionally. Bait, hook, set, land.
I do understand, as the topic piqued my interest, since I just found 3 nice chisels at a garage sale that needed TLC, but were expensive when retailed. I got them for $3. So I clicked on it. I could have ignored it once I saw the OP date, since nothing I had to say would have added to it.

Last edited by chandler; 06-14-08 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 06-14-08, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
forum view doesn't indicate the date of the OP and the software doesn't archive correctly.
First of all, the software does archive correctly. It was in the archives somewhere, but when someone does a search and brings up an old thread and replies to it, it then brings it back up to the top of the list.
Second, it does indicate the date of the OP, which would be stated on the very first post. Next to each new post, on the left hand side, there's a box with a check mark inside (if you hold your cursor over it, it says "go to first new post") so if you click on it, it will automatically take you to the newest post. If it doesn't take you to the very first post, then that's a clue it may be an old thread. That's when we need to scroll up and look at the date. Only takes a second to do.

Old 06-14-08, 01:30 PM
It doesn't bother me. And sometimes it's a new answer to an old question, as others have said. BUT.. it may still be a valid question to somebody now. Just because OP solved the algae problem in his pond 3 years ago doesn't mean I don't have one now.

Maybe they could make the software show thread titles that are over a year old, but which have new posts, in red or some other color, just to make some people happy.

Search this Thread