new forum colours

Old 06-18-08, 06:59 PM
new forum colours

I don't like them. Is there any option to pick different colour scheme?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-08, 07:12 PM
I was just looking at User CP and I don't see anyway to change them

I dont care for them

Old 06-18-08, 08:33 PM
its gotten darker , not to bad now I could hardly read it before

Old 06-19-08, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Already beating the web people about the head and shoulders. DIY.com is a work in progress.

Old 06-19-08, 05:04 AM
why not post a announcement before doing something like this ?

(btw I like the way it is now )

Old 06-19-08, 07:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
why not post a announcement before doing something like this ?

(btw I like the way it is now )
The real question is WHY should they post a announcement before doing something like this? It's their site, they can do as they think is best. As you would, if this site was yours or any personal site you may already have...???

They don't need our approval. You don't need our approval nor anyone elses approval to paint your house or car, etc a different color. So why should they need ours to change the sites colors?

Nor they do not need to ask any of us before hand. It's their (the owners) site, not ours. All we need to do is be thankful this site even exists and we have the privilege of being a member of it....

BTW:
Thanks for the compliment....

Old 06-19-08, 08:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Already beating the web people about the head and shoulders. DIY.com is a work in progress.
Yes. You certainly are beating the web people up over a few minor color changes.....

On a positive note: Yes. You're correct. DIY is a work in progress. Change is inevitable and we all have to accept it. Even if that means we have to "GRIN" & "BARE" it...

Old 06-19-08, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
A little bright for my eyes, but it could be worse. Ever try to read white lettering on a black background in a magazine? Now thats something I don't understand!

But can someone tell me whats wrong with the ad's on the right, they intrude over into the right side of my reply window? Not when reading posts, just on the reply page. Heck, before they didn't even show up. Do I need to go over to Firefox? I'd rather not..
And, yes, I do have it open full screen.

Old 06-19-08, 11:11 AM
I don't mind the color change at all. I do miss the forums index that used to be in the box at the top of the page.

Old 06-19-08, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Change is good. And to think that some think I'm a fuddy duddy. No match for the pros.

Old 06-19-08, 12:00 PM
Besides changing the colors, did they do anything to enhance user member features or is it just cosmetic. Maybe while they are making changes they could get rid of that ridiculous 180 seconds between posts rule.

Old 06-19-08, 09:44 PM
Its a format change. Contents the same. Whats the big deal?

Old 06-20-08, 05:48 AM
Post Tech Notes

Staff members, admins and techs, try very diligently to get the software codes we write or changes we make on our web sites, right the first time. Often times the results work out right the first time. Occasionally, they do not.

At those times when such changes are made, it would be much appreciated if the posts made contain specific details about the problem(s). Generic descriptions or none at all are not helpful to any of us. Nor are any insulting or derogatory statements and comments made welcomed or appreciated....

*Updates and changes made are done so without prior notice or member approvals. They also happen in packets. Small amounts at a time for many of they more complex changes. Kindly allow time for each change to fully take effect before posting a problem.

Some changes that have happened in the past are invisible. Some are very noticeable. Each noticeable change effects each users computer differently. Much depends upon the browser used and the settings on each users computer. Rarely are any changes made are of the type that effect monitor resolutions. Resolution is what you see on your monitor.

Maybe while they are making changes they could get rid of that ridiculous 180 seconds between posts rule.
Answer:
Unfortunately No. Time delay will remain. The benefit of such out-weights the minor inconveniences some users may experience.

But can someone tell me whats wrong with the ad's on the right, they intrude over into the right side of my reply window? Not when reading posts, just on the reply page. Heck, before they didn't even show up.
Read the paragraph above regarding monitor resolutions. No current changes made at this time would effect that condition.

*Internet Brands reserves the right to make changes and updates without prior notices or prior approvals.

Thank You.
Staff, Tech Support and Management Team.

Old 06-20-08, 06:04 AM
Answer:
Unfortunately No. Time delay will remain. The benefit of such out-weights the minor inconveniences some users may experience.
Perhaps the time delay could be cut to something more reasonable like 60 seconds instead of 180 seconds. There are members here answering questions and using their own time every single day, who stare at their monitors waiting for 180 seconds to pass.

Forum Hosts Note:
We all donate (use) our time. 180 second delay will not be reduced nor changed. The benefit to it out weights the disadvantage it causes some users. One liners mostly.

Suggestions:
If the time delay seems to long, type full and complete replies. Instead of one or two brief sentences as a reply and consider that a reply. Just to be done with it so you can move on. Slow down. Read the question, consider all the possible causes and include them into a reply. Doing so benefits everyone.

Most likely brief replies do not fully answer the question anyway. Which causes original posting member to ask yet more questions, etc. And the post becomes an extremely long drawn out thread that soon looses the interests of many readers....

Or answers questions in less forum topics. Only maybe in those you can provide full detailed and complete replies to...etc.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-20-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 06:32 AM
I think it's a lot easier on the eyes and much cleaner.

Old 06-20-08, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
OK Guys.....somebody help me out. Didn't want to start a new thread.

As I stated before, my reply window seems to be stretched over so the ad's protrude into it. Only the "message" box is stretched over to the right of my screen, about 1/2 inch further than the rest. The "reply to thread" part, "title" and "post icons" boxes are fine, just like before.

Same as stated above in Firefox only the "message" box is even further to the right and more (number wise) of the ad's are visible. For instance, here in IE I don't see the Andersen windows ad, but I do in FF.

I haven't changed any settings and I am running 1440 x 900 on my 19" LCD (native resolution). Also have it open full screen with toolbars.

The FM said they didn't change anthing that would affect that. Anyone else have the problem, or can give me an idea?

Thx
Vic

Old 06-21-08, 02:29 AM
I saw it in one post that had very large pictures causing the message body box to be wider than normal, but it seems to have been corrected.

Old 06-21-08, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
It has indeed been fixed, whatever it was. No finger pointing here.

Without bugs, what would the exterminators do...

Old 06-22-08, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If I am in a real good answering mode I just open two browsers and toggle between the two. That makes the 180 second barrier a little more tolerable. I know why they have it, but long answers are not always in the best interest of the OP, and attempting to give details just to eat up 180 seconds is counter productive. But then, they are the forum pros and we are just the mainsprings that make it tick.

Old 06-23-08, 01:45 PM
If I am in a real good answering mode I just open two browsers and toggle between the two. That makes the 180 second barrier a little more tolerable.
Hey Chandler thats a darn good idea. How come I didnt think of that.

long answers are not always in the best interest of the OP, and attempting to give details just to eat up 180 seconds is counter productive.
Uh huh. There are even times where a simple yes or no answer will do. Some threads go on and on as the op's project progresses. Sometimes they just don't need much information to move onto the next step