2nd Amendment Victory

Old 06-26-08, 08:09 AM
2nd Amendment Victory

Today the Supreme Court struck down Washington, DC's 32 year old ban on handguns. The court said that Americans have a right to own guns for self defense and hunting.

A win for the good guys! Had they ruled in favor of the ban it would have set a terrible precedent and would have undoubtably led to similar bans throughout the country.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-08, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I smiled when I heard the news the only gun ban I'd support would be the one that effectively kept firearms out of the hands of crooks.

Old 06-26-08, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We've already got one. It's called "the law". We've got more gun laws that can't be enforced. Just be thankful we aren't like Great Britain or Australia with their bans. After the bans, their gun related crimes skyrocketed. Not that the law abiding citizens were doing this, but the crooks KNEW no one had a gun.
I like our little town just north of Atlanta called Suwanee. There it is unlawful for any household to NOT have ready access to a working firearm. This was to mirror South Bend's ban on guns in their households. Crime is waaaay low in Suwanee. Go figure, I'm breaking into your house and I KNOW you have a gun....NOT.
An armed population are called citizens. An unarmed population are called subjects. Forgot who originally said that.

Old 06-27-08, 10:27 AM
The NRA does good work..............

Old 06-27-08, 02:56 PM
I saw a 5 minute anti gun rant by some DC politico. Apparently the world is about to end.

What I don't understand is that when a drunk kills a bunch of people with a car, everyone points their finger at the drunk but when a punk kills someone with a gun everybody points to the gun. Both are nothing but pieces of harmless inanimate metal.

Old 06-27-08, 05:50 PM
Game Theory says carrying a gun is a dominant strategy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(game_theory)

But. . .

let's say there's a dance every Friday night and no one brings weapons. If there is a fight, bandaids are passed out.
I think this equilibrium is unstable, but nobody gets too badly hurt.

One night one guy loses a fight and brings a weapon to the next dance. Pretty soon everyone has a weapon, and now when there is a fight it is time for the hospital.
This equilibrium is stable and people die.

Everyone is no better off now, relative to each other, than they were before but the whole group is now worse off because now they all have weapons and it's not just bloody noses anymore.

Will the dance go back the other way? I doubt it.
If some guy comes into the dance and says he is not going to carry weapons anymore everyone else will say he is a fool.

It's also like advertising. If you lose business relative to other businesses and start advertising, soon everyone is compelled to do the same.
Now everyone is in the same position, again, relative to each other, but the advertisers are making the money and the whole group is worse off.

It's a modified version of this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

I don't believe there is a solution (except to not have any more dances; the desert island option).

Rather by tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 06-28-08, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking all the pro-gun-control folks should stick large prominent signs on their property advising that theirs is a "gun-free zone".

[Original idea not mine]

Old 06-28-08, 06:53 AM
large prominent signs

Lying is probably a dominant strategy in a lot of cases.
:-)

Old 06-28-08, 02:46 PM
Hey, TG, I was sent to Chicago the winter of '93, and as the Hotel van rounded the curve going into O'hare, there was a sign, as big as a truck that declared "Nuclear Free Zone". I've been scratching myself bald for 15 years thinking about that one. No one in Chicago could give me an answer, either.
A lot of lawsuits starting now that the law of the land has been clarified. Chicago, San Francisco, New York, grab hold.
Chicago wants to repeal the 2nd amendment. Well, why not go for the 1st or 14th while you're at it. Our founding fathers didn't come up with this stuff overnight during a jam session with Ted Nugent.....it was thought out pretty thoroughly I think.

Old 06-28-08, 04:02 PM
I am constantly amazed by the idiots who don't believe in self defense. the founding fathers got it right with the second amendment.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 06-29-08, 06:44 AM
You really don't need to be able to defend your family or your home. That's why we have 911. If a drugged up punk breaks into your house in the middle of the night just dial 911. The police will come and protect you. Their response time is pretty good too. They can probably be there in 10 or 15 minutes. (that's sarcasm guys).

IMO the primary responsibility to protect my family is mine - not the police.

Last year there was a home invasion not to far from where I live. It was in a really nice, upscale neighborhood, the house of a prominent doctor, his wife and two teenage daughters. The dirtbags were parolees with long criminal records.

The father was beaten and tied up and his wife and daughters beaten and raped. Then the house was set on fire. The doctor survived but his family did not. I wonder what the outcome would have been had he met the two punks with a
.357 mag?

Old 06-29-08, 09:42 AM
In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection by Massad F. Ayoob

is probably worth the bucks.

Old 06-29-08, 10:29 AM
The guy has an interesting web site. A bit over the top gun wise for me, but lots of articles, blogs etc.

A quote from one articcle on his site cracked me up. He was likening guns to tools - power tools.

"........remote control drills, with the width and depth of the hole adjusted by the choice of bore size and ammunition. Tools of survival, in many ways."

Old 06-29-08, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Too true WD, i've read excerpts, but not the whole thing.

The Police (God love 'em and protect 'em) are there to protect and serve the public as a whole, not the individual.

Here in AZ we do have some leakage over from the Left coast, but firearms laws are not one of them. Open carry all over the place in this small town. One in my man cave, one in the bedroom, one on my hip on those evening walks. The rest are in the safe, til I get some of these projects done and can get a day out at Seven Mile Range

Old 06-29-08, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Chandler, you left your glow-in-the-dark watch at the city limit, right?

Am I wrong in thinking the citizens of Chicago use "0" electricity that is nuclear-generated?

Old 06-29-08, 06:46 PM
No, I really think they posted that sign so we would be sure not to bring our nuclear bombs to the airport in our checked baggage, certainly not in our carry ons. You HAVE to leave them at home, or no flight for you, buddy.

Old 06-30-08, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Dang! How am I going to get mine to the big gun show next month???