Why do families with kids get a huge economic stimulus check?

Old 07-09-08, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I'm by myself. I got $358. My next door neighbor said they are getting $1800 because of their 4 kids at home. My mom said she heard my sister was to get like double that amount based on their income. I can't verify the latter, but aim to find out soon.

Does the gov't presume all these families are going to go out and buy their kids more clothes or toys or food?

If it is true my sister's family will get that huge check - why - if they wanted to, they could go out and buy some nice used car for that? What does THAT have to do with your kids? My brother in law could go out and buy some neat motorcycle or sports car - or expensive golf clubs.

Does the gov't think things like this thru before they act? Any thoughts on the rhymes and reasons as to the amounts given out?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It takes more money to raise kids!

What little I've read said retired adults and children get $300 each and working adults $600. As far as I know everyone in our extended family as recieved their check for the full amount except for my oldest son and oldest stepson which got slightly less than the full amount - they do change jobs frequently

Old 07-10-08, 11:16 AM
If I'm thinking and reading this correct...

I'd RATHER NOT have a child (I do LOVE my kid-don't get me wrong), spend nothing on another person/child, have tons of money I've saved from not having a child than to have more money from the economic stimulus check. Hello! (as marksr said)

IMO, the smarter people spend the check on something they need....like gas.

Old 07-10-08, 12:51 PM
But they call it an economic stimulus check - not a welfare check. If I made the same income say as the family with kids, and paid my taxes on that, why don't they give me as much, so *I*can go out and buy the motorcycle?

Old 07-10-08, 12:52 PM
"IMO, the smarter people spend the check on something they need....like gas."

We're spending ours on taxes. Local property and personal property (cars). Typical government BS.

Old 07-10-08, 01:06 PM
ha ha...yeah... They call it economic stimulus check. They should've called it a gift card and given a gift card out to Target or Walmart or most of our favorites...an HD or Lowes card. There's no requirement that said we have to spend it on something fun and exciting or stating "please splurge and don't spend wisely" especially when you probably should save the money or use it to pay bills. I know...I know...that's not your point.

You gotta be exaggerating on the motorcycle right? Just how many kids does it take to buy a motorcycle? Who says things are supposed to make sense??

I dunno, I didn't think much about it. I just said "whoo hoo- thanks!" and deposited it. Not much to complain about and not much you can do about it if you don't like it. Then again, I have one child so that's even more "whoo hoo" for me. I didn't buy him food or clothes with it. Poor guy.

Old 07-10-08, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Then again, I have one child so that's even more "whoo hoo" for me. I didn't buy him food or clothes with it. Poor guy.
You just made my case.

Old 07-10-08, 06:33 PM
It's a bummer when you only get min. stimulus & your kids
come over to get stimulated---but in our case " what's new
bout that".............................

Old 07-12-08, 09:15 AM
I'm retired and I got a check for $600. There are all kinds of rules for how much a person will receive. Rather than my trying to explain something that I know little about (and making several mistakes in the attempt) you can go to the official IRS web page and check it out.

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

Old 07-12-08, 12:08 PM
Thanks furd. I clicked on the link and read it, just now. I see that the amount doled out to adults is based on AGI. That sounds fair to reasonably fair to me.

The amount given per child is something the gov't must have come up with, based on unknown reasons to me. But I guess there is no point wrangling over this aspect as when it comes to kids.

Old 07-14-08, 08:49 AM
At the risk of sounding depressing, these stimulus checks dont even cover the increased cost this year of putting gas in your car. How stimulating is this really?

Old 07-14-08, 09:35 AM

The purpose was to provide a quick stimulous to the economy. Families with kids are more likely to spend the money quickyl because of immediate needs.

Older, established people have budgets and may just sit on it for while, so it would not really serve the purpose completely.

Money like this, when spent, affects many people and jobs since it theoretically is spent 5 to 7 times in relatively short order. If a retired person gets it, he has his plans made and may just think a while. - It may not be totally fair and there will be some that waste the money on frills, but at least it is spent back into the economy. As least the kid working flipping burgers or clerking at the local Best Buy will get more work and spend the money again on clothes or education.

Old 07-14-08, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It always amazes me how many people don't understand the domino effect on the economy. I live near a NASCAR race track and you wouldn't believe the number of people that dislike the track. If I remember correctly it's 10-15 million dollars a race week that's brought into the regional ecomony but the naysayers state "I don't see none of it!" They fail to realize that those who profit directly turn around and spend that money - possibly where they work. Not to mention would our property taxes be higher or the road system be in worse shape if it wasn't for the tax money generated when the race is in town.

I'll get off the soapbox now before I fall or get knocked off

Old 07-14-08, 06:19 PM
I'm one of those retired persons that didn't immediately spend the stimulus check. I think it sat on my desk for close to two weeks before I took it to my credit union where I deposited half and took the other $300 in cash. I think I still have close to $200 of that cash in my wallet two weeks later.

Old 07-15-08, 10:37 AM
furd? if i may, i'd like to offer to unburden you of that bulky $200, as i have found the cutest little pair of homeless shoes in need of adoption!!!!!

Old 07-15-08, 12:39 PM
Annette, if they were boots and you had promised to model them for me I might have been interested. Unfortunately my empty pantry takes precedence and I strongly suspect that I will spend that $200 today in restocking that lonely pantry and my freezer.

Old 07-19-08, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
But they call it an economic stimulus check - not a welfare check. If I made the same income say as the family with kids, and paid my taxes on that, why don't they give me as much, so *I*can go out and buy the motorcycle?

It's not the lottery..........

If you realy want that bike go and get a second job.

This is AMERICA!........the sky is the limit here........

Old 08-27-08, 12:14 PM
Silly me. I sent my economic stimulus ceck to my credit card company. The funny part is that the struts for my car a week later were put on that card and were not much less than the check I sent to Citibank.