Great start to the school year....

Old 08-18-08, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Great start to the school year....

First day of school today, hurricane day tomorrow. Ah, well, maybe towing business will pick up.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could ya tow some of that rain up here
We are on our 2nd year of drought conditions. They just said on the evening news that one of the local lakes is 27 feet below normal

Old 08-18-08, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Yikes! Well, so far we haven't had a drop of the rain as of 9pm. The storm is still spinning away down mostly over the Everglades (who also needs the rain); it may rain itself out before me get much. I did test run the generator yesterday, though.

Old 08-18-08, 07:52 PM
in 2006 we had the driest year on record for Ok, even drier than the dust bowl, then in 2007 we had the wettest year on record and this year it is about normal for rain fall. But it has also rained all day today and is supposed to rain tomorrow also.

btw good luck on missing the hurrican tow guy

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 08-18-08, 08:34 PM
Yall can have all the rain we are getting. In the past two weeks, we have gotten well over a foot so far. And are supposed to get more rain for the next 4 or 5 days. I am getting tired of setting at home watching the grass grow...
Travis

Old 08-19-08, 05:34 AM
We are 6"-9" above normal - since June 1st. More due today. My lawn is still green and I'm mowing twice a week. Usually by this time of the year it is a lovely, no maintenance required, shade of brown.

I am praying that the weather pattern changes before winter when the rain will fall as snow.

Old 08-19-08, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We are currently 5" below normal for this year. Last year was the driest on record in 118 yrs, almost half the rainfall of the previous record dry year. Funny how when one area gets too much rain, another doesn't get enough.

We need the rain but this is race week [Bristol] so rain next week would be better ..... speaking of which, why in the world would TDOT pick today to start work on a bridge [making it 1 lane] why not wait until all the race traffic is gone next week? I know it was supposed to have been started several months ago but why aggravate traffic during the heaviest tourist/race season

Old 08-19-08, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey, TG, you be careful. I keep telling my wife, you don't go by one year to plan on next year (gardening especially). Look at the 5 or 10 year stretch to see what it has done overall, then make your plans. The wx is too unpredictable, anyway, so it is mostly on faith or luck that the garden grows. We have been low on rainfall, too, but it seems just about the time we are ready to give up, a cloud comes up and we get just the right amount until next time.
Marksr, I finally realized how to tell a GDOT worksite from a county worksite......the number of white hats gives it away. 5 supervisors and one poor dude in the ditch with a shovel.

Old 08-19-08, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Ended up on the "dry" side of the storm; don't think there's an inch in the rain gauge. Got some gusts of maybe 25 mph.

Old 08-23-08, 07:51 AM
First day of school is Monday for me, so that should be interesting.

Old 08-27-08, 11:59 AM
Tow guy, what color gold is hurricanes for towing and auto body work? In New England, snow is called white gold.

Old 08-27-08, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
LOL. Have never heard a term in wide useage. "Wet", I guess.

Old 09-01-08, 02:23 PM
Isn't wet gold kinda messy? I mean it could damage leather seats in cars