When is it to early to start decorating for Halloween?

Old 08-27-08, 05:33 PM
When is it to early to start decorating for Halloween?

I'm just curious because we have neighbors who have the scarecrows out and the orange miniature lights on the house already. In about a week they will probably have the tacky inflatables out. It's August 27th, and I think it's too early.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 05:52 PM
I think I have seen Christmas decorations for sale in the stores already.

Old 08-27-08, 07:32 PM
It does seem a bit early for ghost goblins. BOO,,It seems everything starts earlier and earlier each year. Just yesterday I saw a store setting out there 4th of July stuff.

Old 08-28-08, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We went to Big Lots yesterday and I was reminded on the first row that halloween is coming, 2 aisles later I found the Christmas section

You can still drive by a few homes thatstill have the Christmas lights hanging on their house

Some folks just like to get an early start........ but I'm not one of them when it comes to holiday decorations.

Old 08-28-08, 05:43 AM
I started yesterday. I was at the Mall early this month and I saw the Halloween candles up and all that follows. I enjoy the fall so for me it's not to early besides it's almost September. I start doing Christmas in Nov. I try and wait til after Thanksgiving but then I get carried away. Should I see a shrink? lol

Old 08-28-08, 10:52 AM
i understand why stores SELL the holiday items early, but i don't think that means it's okay to start decorating your homes with it right away. October 1st seems reasonable to me for Halloween, and i like to put out my Christmas stuff after Thanksgiving, and i leave it up til after New Years.

leaving Christmas lights on your house all year long is just lazy.......and tacky!!!

Old 08-28-08, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
I agree with Annette Oct 1st is plenty early!

Old 08-28-08, 01:35 PM
I think the Addams family had Halloween decorations up all year.

Unless you live in an area with "community standards" (i.e. local covenants) whatever decor you like is what you should have. It is nobody's business how you decorate your own home and it is none of your business how someone else decorates their home. If you feel a need to dictate to your neighbors what is "proper" and what is not then you need to live in an area with the restrictive covenants. Myself, I would never live in such an area.

Old 08-30-08, 08:05 AM
I say it depends. It's either going to be a personal feeling or city requirement. If the city doesn't care and no one complains...heh...you get to do what you want. If it's a personal thing, I say...don't do it unless it's IN that month!..or even a day before the month is ok-that's planning ahead.

I'm "one of those" that loves to keep the Christmas lights up all year (b/c I'm lazy to take it down) until I got a notice from the city to take it down or be fined.

The liquor store down the street a block or 2 has on their window (hand painted) something like "Start stocking up and save...Christmas is almost here" or something like that. Uh...that's been their since LAST year and throughout all this year! That's even worse.

Old 08-30-08, 01:20 PM
I'm too lazy to take down xmas lights. Too lazy to even type "Christmas" so I use "xmas". You can be fined for not taking them down????

My new house has 14 potlights under the eaves so this winter I will put in green and red bulbs for xmas!

Yah, Oct 1 is really the right time for halloween decorations but not the pumpkin, it would be pretty mushy by then.

Any costume ideas? If I start now, I may actually show up at a party in something other than hockey gear or a womans dress.

Old 09-07-08, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by AllAround View Post
I'm just curious because we have neighbors who have the scarecrows out and the orange miniature lights on the house already. In about a week they will probably have the tacky inflatables out. It's August 27th, and I think it's too early.
Nah. That can't possibly be too early. Not when one of my local big box stores has all their CHRISTMAS tree lights/displays going in the store ------August 11th!!!!!!

Old 09-24-08, 04:32 AM
I'll skip the advertisement, but thanks anyway. I hardly think Dickens' stories and free drinks envelop the true "essence" of Christmas, but celebrating is interpretive. I drove by one house the other day, and the skeleton in the yard with weeds growing through the ribcage may be an indicator it has been there too long, not sure!

Old 09-25-08, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I'll skip the advertisement, but thanks anyway. I hardly think Dickens' stories and free drinks envelop the true "essence" of Christmas, but celebrating is interpretive. I drove by one house the other day, and the skeleton in the yard with weeds growing through the ribcage may be an indicator it has been there too long, not sure!
it wasn't a real skeleton was it

Old 09-25-08, 04:42 AM
Don't know, could have been! The grass was really grown up, so it could be the homeowner trying to cut his grass and just gave out of gas, literally. I'll drive back by to check it out.

Old 09-28-08, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Don't know, could have been! The grass was really grown up, so it could be the homeowner trying to cut his grass and just gave out of gas, literally. I'll drive back by to check it out.
tonight at 10 man died while trying to find his lawnmower in the tall grass. wife said she last head from him 3 years ago.

Old 09-29-08, 09:22 PM
Some times it's just in time!

Some of us think its too early. Some of us think it might be too late.
Every now and then it comes along at just the right time.

I saw Santa today! Here is a story from my local paper.

Santa pays a visit to little Ike victims
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>[SIZE=2]By Kari Griffin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Baytown Sun[/SIZE] </TD><TD align=left width=175></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Published September 29, 2008
[SIZE=2]Bad news travels fast. Especially to the jolly fellow who keeps tabs on kids all year long.

Kids have seen a lot of folks in town since Hurricane Ike blew through. And Thursday, they saw one they recognized all too well.

“They looked at him and said, you’re Santa Claus,” Karen Fayle said.

He was without his red suit and reindeers. It was him, just the same.

“He didn’t have his Santa Claus suit, but that didn’t matter,” Fayle said. “It’s summertime. Why would he wear his suit?”

Santa (portrayed by Tommy Hathaway) was unmistakable, even in his summer clothes and truck. Hathaway is known for his usual portrayal of Santa Claus for the City of Baytown, and this occasion was a chance to get kids thinking of Christmas a little early this year.

Fayle’s children, Mia, 6, and Conner, 5, had no doubt it was him. And neither did their neighbors on Morning Drive.

Mia said she was surprised to see Santa in September, but she sure was glad to have him here in Baytown.

“They could not believe that Santa Claus would make a special trip to check on them after the hurricane,” Fayle said.

Her children and about seven others took turns sitting on Santa’s lap and used this opportunity to put in their present requests a few months early this year.

“Santa picked them up one by one and asked them what they wanted for Christmas,” Fayle said. “After all of this, it really lifted their spirits.”

Most of the children didn’t have electricity and their moods were lightened by Santa’s presence.

He also helped out parents by telling each child that they had to be good for their mom and dad, especially right now when everyone is going through such a difficult time.

Mia’s younger brother told Santa his big sister had been grounded, and she took Santa’s words to heart.

“It’s amazing how well it worked,” Fayle said of Santa’s reminder of being good all year long.

Hathaway was pleased with how things turned out, and asked the kids to email him at dearsantaletter(at)gmail.com.

The kids couldn’t believe Santa knew they were in trouble and needed him right now, but parents like Fayle were glad he traveled from the North Pole to check up on the young Hurricane survivors and see how they got through the storm.

“With all of this mess, a good thing happened,” Fayle said.[/SIZE]
<!-- Story layout ends --><!-- Optional blocks begin --><!-- Lower story pager navigation code begins --><!-- Lower story pager navigation code ends --><!-- Optional blocks end --><!-- Story toolbox links begin -->

Old 09-30-08, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great story!.... and just when the politicians have you thinking the world is full of self serving idiots.

Old 09-30-08, 04:33 AM
It is, and they all are in Congress. Sorry, my fingers outran my brain.

Old 10-16-08, 07:32 PM
If you live in the East you can begin decorating for Halloween when the leaves change color.
I you live in MidWest or the West.......first week of October at the earliest.
I'm in Jersey and haven't begun yet.
Personally, I would like to see Halloween go away.
I always thought Halloween was weird.......sorry 'bout that.......I know alot of you love Halloween.
Just my $.02

Old 10-17-08, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We went to sears last week and they had a section toward the middle of the store that was all Christmas - trees and decoration

It doesn't make sense to me to rush in the different seasons/holidays - I haven't even dug out a coat yet... although I have worn a long sleeved shirt a time or two taking the grandson to school