old threads being revived

Old 08-31-08, 02:44 AM
old threads being revived

is it just me or are alot of 5+ year old threads being revived. some from 2002

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It happens all the time, mostly by new members who probably don't even realize that it's an old thread although here lately there have been some spammers trying to fly under the radar by posting their ads in old threads - but that don't fly

Old 08-31-08, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I think it happens when the new poster does a search and really finds a good post that applies to their problem, and rather than starting a new post, they just reply to the old one. I think they are truly looking for good info, but just mistakenly reply rather than starting a new one. As far as the spammers, it does look like they are being caught as quickly as they post, so the mods are doing a good job.

Old 09-01-08, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Perhaps posts should be locked after a year but archived so still available. If some one tried to post to a post more then a year old a message would pop up suggesting they start a new thread with instructions on starting a new thread. Yes, I know not the easiest to implement idea because it requires changes to the forum software but just a thought.

Old 09-03-08, 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Perhaps posts should be locked after a year but archived so still available. If some one tried to post to a post more then a year old a message would pop up suggesting they start a new thread with instructions on starting a new thread. Yes, I know not the easiest to implement idea because it requires changes to the forum software but just a thought.
Forget it. I've suggested that before and got slammed to the ground.

Old 09-04-08, 10:55 AM
no matter how old a thread is, additional beneficial information is always valued & welcome. the only thing bad about old threads is when someone poses a question for the original poster, and they are usually long gone!

Old 09-11-08, 11:56 AM
Or the old problem is solved and totally forgotten by the original poster.

Old 09-12-08, 10:34 AM
no matter how old a thread is, additional beneficial information is always valued & welcome. the only thing bad about old threads is when someone poses a question for the original poster, and they are usually long gone!
While this is true, it's frustrating to read the whole old thread (sometimes they are long), not noticing the date and thinking its new, then you get to the end and someone points out its 5 years old. Perhaps older threads could be flagged to have a warning at the top saying "This thread is more than 1 year old."

Old 09-12-08, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
If you click on the little box with the check mark inside, to the left of the title, it'll take you to the first new post, so if it takes you further down, then that tells you it's not new.
Also, looking at the number of views, to the right of the title, can also indicate if it's been around awhile or not.
Not sure it's possible to flag old posts. Don't think there's any software that can do it and I sure wouldn't want the job of doing it manually! Beer 4U2

Old 09-12-08, 12:19 PM
Don't think there's any software that can do it and I sure wouldn't want the job of doing it manually! Beer 4U2
Like that little beer guy. Hey if all its gonna take to get you to flag the old posts is a couple of beers, then hey, I'm buying.

Search this Thread