Freak accidents: Worthy of a new forum?

Old 09-07-08, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Freak accidents: Worthy of a new forum?

I see there already is a forum just below this one called "Blunders and Project Blunders".

But what about freak accidents? Accidents that may maim or kill. Things maybe every DIY person and even pros! should hear about.

Just got off the phone moments ago with condo tenant, to find out if garage door man showed today as promised to couple his broken garage door torsion spring. Yes.

They got chatting. The garage door tech told him doiing what he does can be dangerous. Tenant just told me tech told him that fellow tech had torsion spring jump out of it's holding cup while tightening and it went thru the techs had twice! Wow! The paramedics had to come and - well, it may have been like those tv shows where they have to take someone to the hospital with a steel rail still sticking out of their head when it crashed thru their windshield (I'm sure you have al seen tv shows on stuff like this, as people in general, love to rubberneck and see horror stories like this.).

I'm always thinking about severing a juggler vein on big spikes that are sticking out of basement support posts as I walk by, and they are at neck level, and I always wonder if that has happened to someone. I wonder if the people who nailed them there have any brains.

Anyway, I think such a new forum would be a splendid addition to the category of forums where the Bloopers one is, And your stories, in such a forum, just may save someone's life, or make someone think twice about doing a job that they otherwise thought was straight forward and simple.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to remember for sure if this is what happened, but it seems to me that about 20 years ago in town here some well known painter set an aluminum ladder up against gutters on one side of a house and was electrocuted to death because power lines were on the gutter on the other side of the house. It's either that or his boom truck came in contact with lines. But regardless, I have heard of that gutter incident also.

Not something everybody would think to look for. But I bet you do now!

Old 09-07-08, 07:31 PM
Something like you are talking about, is like the do's and don't. Instead of a new forum. What about a sticky at the top of certen forums. Talk to the mods in say, electric ac/dc.Maybe a list of what to do before working around any power source. Something like that in all the forums that can be dangerous. Of witch most are. I am working on something like this in my forum now. I am talking with other members and mods to get there ideas and experiences.

Its just a thought

Travis

Old 09-08-08, 03:39 AM
how about just calling it a safety forum?
lots of things reported to me at work that would qualify for inclusion here.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-08-08, 07:50 AM
Good suggestions from both of you.

I have thought about this type of thing for years, actually. I have thought it be a good idea even for the newspaper to publish strange accidents in the paper (not necessarily naming the person), where people wind up in the emergency room. That way people might be more cautious if they learn what can happen to people caught unaware. There is some strange stuff that happens out there. And I guess a lot of stuff happens, where one should maybe not just assume it is extremely rare.

Assumptions can kill. Recently in our paper was a guy who died from a hornet's sting. His wife thinks he was stung directly in an artery. I once was stung reaching my hand up in a mobile home window, not seeing the nest, and it nailed me in an open wound. And my whole hand swelled up! I never had a reaction like that in many years having been stung. Once I was stung 8 times or so at once by bees, and nothing really happened. Then I heard that a person can actually become alleregic to bee stings when you did not used to be. (I think I heard right.)

It is improtant information like that that people should be aware of.

It is hard for everyone to remember everything about everything. But it is better to know too much than too little. Just like that ladder against the gutter thing. How many would ever have thought to think twice about something like that. And -I- never heard of a garage door spring jumping out of it's holder like that before, and now am really curious about the circumstances that can cause this, like - was it from overtightening?, or was the guy turning it the wrong way? Naturally I want to know because I have done many torsion spring tightenings over the years and never thought this was even possible.

Such a forum or inclusion in sticky notes may also encompass not only dangers but things people should simply be aware of that can happen. For example, in asphalt, if new drive is done, in hot weather, if cars turn the wheel without in motion much, it can really scour the new surface. Or if heavy vehicles are parked on it, they may sink in. Or a bicycle kick stand can go right through it. Stuff like that. Or, in electrical, how faulty or ungrounded appliances, if you touch between 2 of them or a sink, you could really get shocked. I could go on, but won't. You get the idea.

Old 09-08-08, 07:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

A valid subject matter (freak accidents) and good suggestion...

However, "LOOK" further down the list of topics in the Non Interactive forums category. There already is a topic titled "Safety Awareness and Product Alerts.

Post such issues into that topic and close the post when done. Granted, it is NOT a forum specifically intended for continued discussions, being as it is a Non Interactive topic which are closed once posted.

However, the "Safety Awareness" does suffice as a forum topic for posting any such safety awareness issues.

Any new forum on the subject of safety awareness would only become a duplicate of the existing forums topic. Only difference between the two would then be an open forum for further discussions which could be posted. Not a requirement that would warrant a new topic being created, imo.

Nor does the subject matter of safety suite the nature and intent of the web site, as a do-it-yourself web site.

Old 09-08-08, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice View Post
Nor does the subject matter of safety suite the nature and intent of the web site, as a do-it-yourself web site.
It would seem to me, that a do-it-yourself web site should point out the safety aspect of any project. So the person asking how to do something, will hopefully do it right having been told what MIGHT happen if it was not done right.

Speaking from personal experiences in my profession. People do not always do as there told. But having the information at the top of the forum they are asking a specific question in may give the person a in-site about what they may encounter in there project.
Provided they ask it in the rite forum.

There is an enormous wealth of knowledge in this web site.I for one am proud to be associated with. I have found links to here, all over the web.

All of this is just an idea I have.

Travis

Old 09-09-08, 03:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=Sharp Advice;1426148.
Nor does the subject matter of safety suite the nature and intent of the web site, as a do-it-yourself web site.[/QUOTE]

I'm also a little confused by this statement .... but that might not be anything new for me

Old 09-09-08, 05:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Personalized and Professional

It would seem to me, that a do-it-yourself web site should point out the safety aspect of any project. So the person asking how to do something, will hopefully do it right having been told what MIGHT happen if it was not done right.
I agree, in some instances, (forum topics specifically) a safety reminder should be added. However, not as a subject (forum topic) of it's own...

Safety warnings should be or could be added to many topics on this site, imo. However, it is the pros (moderators) whom know where and what the dangers are and if they feel a safety warning is in order, they are free to add it where and when ever it is appropriate or needed in their replies.

A safety warning added into a reply in your own words also adds a personal touch to a reply between the member asking the question and the pro offering the advice.

A personalization not often found on any other such diy sites, except on our DIY site.... An often unspoken thanks by the member asking the question. A welcomed and appreciated addition too... IMO.

Especially in the electrical and gas forum topics, imo. Not much else is worse then an electrocution, fire, severe burn and/or an explosion...

A safety warning can also be included into the building trades so as to avoid a structure collapse...

What I due suggest is adding a safety warning into your own replies and in your own wording, as it pertains to the specific subject matter.

Below are two I use in my gas appliances topic.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Old 09-09-08, 07:52 AM
Well, that is what we'll do then, is add our knowledge about saftety concerns in the body or closing of our post reply on a given topic.

I guess that there the poster and other readers will see it, instead of possibly missing, it if they had to scroll to a special thread somewhere else, regarding such issues.

Old 09-09-08, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the explanation, I'm now officially unconfused!

Search this Thread