I don't understand why...

Old 09-12-08, 05:33 AM
I don't understand why...

How come we can't delete our own posts on the DIY forums? You should give users the option to delete only their own threads or posts, for an unlimited amount of time, instead of only letting you edit for a certain amount of time.

Kinda stupid that you can't do that...Other forums let you do it..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Kinda stupid that you can't do that...Other forums let you do it..
I guess other forums don't mind the constant advertising and spam that can be added later on if members always have the ability to edit, or maybe they don't care, so I guess that makes us the smart ones!

Old 09-12-08, 10:29 AM
I guess other forums don't mind the constant advertising and spam that can be added later on if members always have the ability to edit, or maybe they don't care, so I guess that makes us the smart ones
Advertisers and spammers are generally new members I think. You could show a little more flexibility with some of the long time members, say those with over 100 posts. Advertisers and spammers here are generally caught pretty fast and banned.

Some other boards will not allow a new member to post urls, pictures etc until they have a certain minimum number of posts and have been a member for a certain amount of time. This does a better job of preventing advertising and spam.

Old 09-12-08, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
In addition to the spam problem if posts could be edited or deleted you would wind up with threads don't make sense
if middle posts are edited.
A worse problem happened when this forum allowed members to delete posts and that was if the first post was deleted the whole thread would be deleted!!

Old 09-12-08, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not wanting to start anything, but why would you want to delete your posts? We have to wait 180 seconds to get them in there, so, hey, leave 'em there. I, likewise, don't think some of the moderators should use their power to delete entire posts when it is us who put them there for a reason. Sure, spam, self serving urls, etc. should be eliminated, no problem there. I'll leave it alone, there.