everyone's gone insane

Old 09-12-08, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
everyone's gone insane

My wife and I took a little trip out of town today. When we left gas was $3.58, after we crossed the state line [where gas is usually cheaper] cars were lined up and down the side of the hwy to get gas for $4.09 * 1 store had a sign saying they were out of gas.

I turned on the radio to see if anything was going on and they said IF there were any stations with gas by the end of the weekend, gas would be $10 per gallon. When we got back to town, gas was $4.55 all this after oil fell below $100 a barrel today I know Ike is raising cain, but give me a break.

We turned on the local news at 5pm and they said there would be no gas shortages. Their price survey showed local prices ranging from $3.78 to $5.45. They also reported people topping off their tanks and filling up gas jugs in their trunks.

I hope my vehicles have enough gas until things settle down. Oh! I forgot, my wife is dragging me to the beach come wednessday - her and her sister couldn't get anyone else to go with them

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 03:38 PM
There is a storm coming to TX & LA--that always good for
big increase in gas......................
China blames dairy farmers for tainted baby milk--that otta be good for at least .25.........................................

Old 09-12-08, 04:01 PM
its going up here , I just filled the truck the other day so Im down a 3rd of a tank

wifes cars almost empty and she said she heard from a friend who owns a convince store that there is going to be a big increase tomorrow

I noticed the station down the street went from 3.65 this morning to 3.85 now

I guess I'll go fill both vehicles to be safe

Old 09-12-08, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The station I deal with on diesel (they keep their prices pretty much lower than others) was $3.69 on regular yesterday. I drove by this morning and noticed Diesel was up $.20, but regular was $4.69. A dollar in one day! They paid for the fuel in the ground last week and set their price at $3.69. Now they are selling the same gas, which was already paid for, for $1 per gallon more. Who made the profit? The local dealer says it is the distributor. The distributor blames the pipeline. And so on until we, the ultimate consumer is blamed for using too much fuel.

Old 09-12-08, 06:34 PM
I rarely fill my car more often than once a month or so. I have a half a tank and another 3 gallons in the standby generator. I'm good for several more weeks.

Old 09-12-08, 06:38 PM
If the source of gas for your area are the refineries near the gulf coast your gas prices will be up maybe as much as 20% depending on how much disruption there is from the hurricane.It will stay up until most if not all of the lost capacity returns.Elsewhere your gas can be supplied from other areas but because the overall supply will be less your prices will go up also.Biggest difference will be available supply in non gulf coast supplied areas.

The storm is making landfall sometime tonight so we'll begin to know the extent of damage around the middle of next week as the storm moves on and crews can get in to see what has happened.Once there is a reasonable idea of longer term lost capacity numbers,prices will either go up further or stabilize.

Flooding and power loss are the bigger issues.It is not believed there will be much structural damage.If you start hearing power outage figures like several weeks look out for price increases.

Old 09-12-08, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I rarely fill my car more often than once a month or so. I have a half a tank and another 3 gallons in the standby generator. I'm good for several more weeks.
If I only fill once a week I'm lucky often its 2-3 times a week

Old 09-13-08, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I read in the paper this morning that one lady got in line to buy gas, 20 minutes later she only had 4 cars in front of her and then the store raised the gas price 30 cents

The paper also stated that there is no shortage, that the EPA has approved use of the winter blend to insure no shortage........ but many stations are out of regular gas. All because every one is running scared and making sure that all their tanks [and gas cans] are filled to the brim.

Old 09-13-08, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
It's gouging; no other way to say it. Gas here jumped $.25/gal overnight. I did notice a lot of people topping off yesterday, but this morning the stations looked back to normal. Funny how the price goes up IMMEDIATELY on SPECULATION of a supply disruption, but takes weeks to come back down when the danger or actual disruption has passed.

Old 09-13-08, 10:13 AM
everyone's gone insane

I haven't seen it here (Minnesota) yet.

I bought gas today (9/13/08) for $3.449 at a local Costco store. Also get an extra 3% ($0.10) off/rebate because I used their credit card.

Dick

Old 09-13-08, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TG, the best analogy of the gas pricing technique is this....Fill a gallon beaker with liquid. Drill a 1/32" hole in the bottom side. The liquid inside represents the cost of gas/diesel. Catastrophe hits, liquid is added in volume, indicating a price increase. Even with the hole in the bottom, it will take weeks for it to come down. And we are led to the slaughter without comment.