Moderators should take responsibility

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-08, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Moderators should take responsibility

When a moderator removes someone's input, that person should get a PM with a reason why. There are moderators running amok around here. Time to take responsibility for their actions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-08, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally there is a note placed at the bottom of the editted post stating the reason why.

Old 09-14-08, 05:56 AM
It was not edited, it was removed. Which brings up another problem People don't read the messages correctly.

Old 09-14-08, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
I deleted your post because you were not addressing the problem or offering any help on how to fix it. His problem started before he took it anywhere. All you did was badmouth the company. I could have instead given you an infraction both for non beneficial info and badmouthing a company and then you would have got your PM. Instead, I decided to just delete the post and give you a break.

Old 09-14-08, 08:03 AM
Bad mouth the company? No. I stated fact from personal experience. Do a Google search for "geek squad complaints". I came up with over 55,000 references for just that search. Try different combinations of it and see what you get. They do a good job of bad mouthing themselves by the so-called repairs they do.

I have a geek squad CD that a "Secret Agent" left in a computer that was brought to the shop. I couldn't believe the junk diagnostics they use.

Still, a message as to why it was removed would have been the right thing to do.

Old 09-14-08, 10:17 AM
Now I'm curious and dont really care that much about this but I have seen so many posts knocking Home Depot (for example). Often the installer services get dissed. I'm an HD installer/seller but never get offended as sometimes theres good and bad. (Just an example).

I never saw oneofamill's post but I thought we could give opinions and discuss personal experiences with a company. My daughter used geek-squad and they worked great for her.

Old 09-14-08, 11:58 AM
i have used geek squad several times with good success, but that is not to say they don't make mistakes, they are just human like the rest of us.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-15-08, 07:22 AM
Oneofamill has a point. The problem with deleting a post is that it isn't consistent. I didn't get to read his post so I don't know why it was so offensive, but companies and their products are "badmouthed" here all the time. Rightfully so. One of the benefits of a site like this is that someone can come here and ask about the quality and a performance of a product and get answers from people that have used it.

My problem is with mods that edit posts by changing the text and content of the OP or by imposing their own personal biases on the topic.

Old 09-15-08, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Until Shadeladie arrives to weigh in, I'll comment.

There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion as to a company or product's worth, but there is a fine line between expressing that opinion and "bashing". FWIW, the moderators edit and caution members all the time when it is deemed that the line has been crossed. I have not read the threads involved, but I suspect they contained more than just constructive critism of the company/product.

Here is an example of a thread giving an opinion of a product without bashing:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=359849

Yes, sometimes we forget to post an editing explanation. When this occurs a simple pm to one of the moderators should get an answer. When moderators are pm'd for this reason it should be in a non-confrontation, reasonable manner.

For mjd2k: At least one member is currently under suspension for bashing the "big boxes". We don't always catch it as we don't always catch spammers, advertisers, and bloggers. Anyone reading a post that they feel is questionable should click the "Report Post" icon and a moderator will look at it.

For the most part the volunteer moderator team does a pretty good job of keeping things civil and running smoothly around here.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-15-08 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
The problem with his reply and the reason I deleted it was because the company had nothing to do with the problem and he offered no help on fixing it. The OP had taken it there after his computer started acting up and they failed to fix it.
For someone to then go on a rant about their personal dislike of the company was useless and against the rules.

Old 09-15-08, 05:20 PM
Then we turn the page and find certain members who give inaccurate information, blather, and insults to OP's, and they chug along. Must be a brother in law of a moderator. I ain't taking sides, just throwing in on the discussion.

Old 09-15-08, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, some will get missed because it's impossible for all mods to read every single post. All you need to do is click on the little red triangle at the top right of the post and report it, so someone can take care of it.
I don't think anyone's related here, as far as I know.

Old 09-15-08, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
I didn't even know what the triangle was for, before today. And I've already used it, now that I know.

I think the Mods do a pretty good job overall, esp for not being paid for anything.

I will agree, a PM when something is changed or deleted would be nice. I had one edited, but I already knew it was my fault, so, no worries.

I do hate to see the loss of experience when someone is suspended or banned, but I understand it.

Jeez...It an Internet help site, just gotta accept the limits. Rules is rules, and its all voluntary, right?

Old 09-16-08, 04:24 AM
A PM would have done nothing in this particular case. The member stated publicly months ago that he ignored all PMs from moderators. Also in this case, the member repeated the original Rules Violation in several followup posts after he had been warned and given notice of a pending suspension if he continued.

We understand that everyone has their opinions about the companies with whom they do business. But as others have said, there is a difference between stating that opinion within the context of a thread and bashing the company with an off-topic rant.

Example: "I would never take my computer to XYZ Company. They suck." This is obviously a bash, and it's completely off-topic in any thread.

Instead, forget mentioning XYZ at all and offer a positive comment that adds information: "I prefer to take my computers to ABC Company. They fix the problem right the first time."

Old 09-16-08, 04:35 AM
Shadeladie, I know there aren't any relations in the group, they have all been spayed or neutered.

Old 09-18-08, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Trying to think up a reply to that involving Bulldogs that won't get ME suspended....

Old 09-18-08, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
TowGuy...how bout bulldogs have ugly faces and drool? The canines, I mean...lol. Dunno...some people love 'em though

But I'm not sure of the reference...

See isn't it nicer when people have a good attitude?

Old 09-18-08, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Going to close this; one of the banned members is being dumb.

Closed Thread