New to home ownership.

Old 09-19-08, 08:56 PM
New to home ownership.

I just bought my first house and it needs a few minor details worked out. It's a 2 story with unfinished basement located on top of a hill.

1. The chimney has a slight gap that could allow water in during a storm. What kind of paintable caulk would I use to seal painted wood to brick?

2. The dryer will start but when you release the start button it will not stay running. What needs to be looked at?

3. I have a Yale safe from the early 1900's. Does anyone out there know how to read the combo and or know the unlocking procedure.

4. What is the best way to test an unfinished basement for excess moisture.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new purchase. It gets better!
1. Look for a product like Big Stretch. It is a paintable siliconized caulking that will "stretch" with the fluctuations in temperature changes. Install foam backer rods comparable to the size of opening you have in the crack, pressing them using a screwdriver or other tool to just below the surface. Then you can apply the caulk.
2. It may be a bad door switch. It could be misaligned or faulty.
3. You may have to call in a reputable locksmith or check with your local sheriff's office to see if they can refer you to a "reformed" safecracker in your area. Seriously, you may never get it opened without "professional" help.
4. Aside from calling in a professional with ultrasonic flir equipment to detect moisture, you can look for the obvious. Mold or mildew on the surface, efforflessence(sp) on the surface of the wall which looks like a white "growth" will be an indicator of penetrating moisture. As far as the floor goes, stretch out clear plastic sheeting on the floor in an area about 10 x 10, leaving it for a few days. Return to see if there is any appreciable condensation on the underside.
Good luck with your home and let us know if we can help with any projects!

Old 09-20-08, 06:04 AM
chandler the plastic will also work on the walls to check for moisture.
on the chimney is the crack down the edge or on top? or between the chimney and the roof?

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-20-08, 06:30 PM
Never have used it on walls. Figured the moisture would be aerated out the edges, since it was a vertical surface, but I guess you could tape it up. Good point.

Old 09-20-08, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new purchase. It gets better!

2. It may be a bad door switch. It could be misaligned or faulty.
3. You may have to call in a reputable locksmith or check with your local sheriff's office to see if they can refer you to a "reformed" safecracker in your area. Seriously, you may never get it opened without "professional" help.
Thanks for the help on the others things. The door switch is good. When I click it the light in the dryer turns on and off.
I forgot to mention that the safe is open.
Here is the part you set the combo with.

The gap runs all the way down the left side of the chimney. It looks like the old caulking has shrunk over the years, or possibly wasn't done right the last time.

Old 09-20-08, 08:32 PM
clean out the old caulking and recaulk like chandler said. talk to a good lock smith about the safe. should be easy since it is open.
as for the dryer you will need to check be able to trouble shoot the various switches and I am no help there.

murphy was an optimist

Old 09-20-08, 11:25 PM
that combo setter looks like it is sitting on top of your workbench--is it????

Old 09-21-08, 04:51 AM
Yes, I pulled it out to see if anyone if familiar with it.

Old 09-21-08, 05:40 AM
Did you have to remove the metal cover plate to get-at-it
or was it just sitting there looking at you ..................

Old 09-21-08, 02:26 PM
I removed a screw on the back of the device, turned it a little and it came right out. After that was pulled out I removed a metal plate to see it maybe the were some instruction on the back of the plate.

Old 09-21-08, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to be mounted in place to reset combo--
It will cost you some $$$$ to have a safe guy reset combo--
it may not be worth the cost..........................
Enjoy....................

Old 09-21-08, 05:14 PM
We had an issue with our house and the chimney. It seems when they added the second floor they extended the chimney (different bricks) but neglected to re foot it to compensate for the extra weight so it was puling away from the house. We had a blacksmith fabricate a bracket that we placed on the outside of the chimney and ran 2 12 inch carriage bolts through it and into the attic where we placed a 2x4 along the inside wall, then bolted it and as we tightened it pulled the chimney back to the house closing a rather large gap. We then used "Great Stuff", an expandable foam to close any leftover gaps from chipped bricks. But be sure the GF isn't going in the chimney liner because it's flammable. We also need to re roof and will be sure to correct the shaby flashing that's up there now.
Check the sump pump in the basement to see if any water has built up and pour some in to be sure it's operating correctly (another newbie home owner thing we learned the hard way).
We have one of those old safes too, It has served it's purpose and with the improvements made since 1900 we're just gonna replace it. It looks great and we enjoy the antique look, but sometimes I just don't have the patience to try the lock 20 times before it decides it wants to let me in.
Good luck and congratulations. At first I thought we should have bought a "new" house, but then some friends did and still had "improvements" to make, in the end I'd rather have the small mortgage and work on things over time than be strapped both ways.

Old 09-21-08, 06:33 PM
Stab in the dark time....I note numbers stamped at different locations on the rings. If all the rings were lined up with the one on the lock and the numbers noted, it may just be the combination. Worth a shot. Of course don't close the door and lock it to try it.