Idea for DIY membership: Instilling probationary status

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-08, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Idea for DIY membership: Instilling probationary status

I have noticed that there are many first time poster here. I have given lots of detailed helpful advice to these new members. Only to never hear a peep out fo them. A waste of my time (and I'm sure yours as well).

I think that many of these people are in search for an instant answer, and shop around, so to speak, on the various messageboards like this one, until they get someone to answer them. Then when they get their answer, they never come back to respond to someone's thoughtful post.

I have actually started to become reluctant to answer first time posters because of this. Although (cough), I just did, moments ago.

My idea is this: Consider posters that have made from say 1-10 posts as being in the probationary period. They would be called "probationary members". Their only requirement is that out of courtesy, they must respond to - to follow up on their submitted question. If they do not, then they will be denied membership.

There are more and more companies out there now that hire probationary workers, until they see how they work out. So the concept is not entirely new, and with good cause.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-08, 07:16 PM
I agree with what you are saying. It has happened to me more than once. But, (there is always a but with a good idea) if no one will answer there question. They will just move on to another site.

It used to bother me a bit, but now I answer there question the best I can. If they don't write back, it must have helped them. If it was not helpful, most will be sure to let you know...lol,,..

With a site like DIY, the person asking the question is expecting some kind of none bias response. Unlike most other sites, that will answer there question by selling them there product. jmo

Travis

Old 10-03-08, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
I can appreciate what you are saying as everyone who helps wants some form of gratitude.

You might have some idea if your post has been at least seen by a member by looking at their profile.
It shows the time of their last visit which you can compare against the time of your post.

I have offered brilliant solutions and found the poster never returned.

Old 10-03-08, 08:34 PM
while the op may never return , many others see and benefit from your brilliant posts

I belong to another forum that has a similar rule in place and all that happens is a bunch of garbage posts as the newbie tries to get the required post number under their belt

Old 10-03-08, 08:35 PM
Probationary poster, interesting concept. Deny membership to the non consolatory, and revoke membership of pseudo experts. That leaves a site filled with pompous know-it-alls and cheek kissing twits (mimicking the American political system).

I understand the parent-child relationship concept, but legislation of human behavior hasn't worked to date. Is there any reason to believe that things have changed, or will change?

Old 10-04-08, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with Mango [you know us Florida guys; may not be able to figure out how to vote, but always stick together ].

Between the first-time posters who read the answer and don't respond or say "thanks" and the other members who benefit directly or indirectly from the Q&A, I think the benefits probably outweigh the problems.

If I really do know it all does that make me pompous?

Old 10-04-08, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and let's not forget the truly appreciative poster! Their thanks, stands out even more when compared to those that never say thanks, kiss my butt or anything

A pompous tow guy

Old 10-04-08, 05:19 AM
Pompous!!!??? Nawww. I do think the OP's may glean the information, use it and just aren't considerate enough to post a "thanks" or other comment. In addition, searchers may run up on the post and get help unbeknown to us. I like the "thanks" and it drives me, but I guess we have to consider the source and move on. My peeve is a group of us will answer a poster, giving solid, proven advice based on years of experience, and they balk and want to do it their way and diss our suggestions. Move on.

Old 10-04-08, 07:08 AM
So, you all tend to agree with self absorption and the imbalanced membership standard, where an inquisitor must buy knee pads but a respondent has no other obligation for membership, and whose motive is chapped cheeks.

Since thank you's float your boat: Thank you for being there. You are my anchor, my strength, my courage, my will to overcome fear. I couldn't have done it without you. Thumbs up, all ten of them.

Old 10-04-08, 09:43 AM
Thank god i'm not in school anymore--someone here sounds just like my old Professor...............

Old 10-04-08, 10:15 AM
No one said anything about an imbalanced membership standard (whatever the heck that is), and no one is suggesting a requirement to solicit "thanks" for a job well done. It is nice when they do it, but is not a requirement.
School does have a way of polluting the brain if left to sizzle too long. I'm glad I went, but you have to move on. Old Professor???? Nope Old Professor's.....never mind, I'll get banned.

Old 10-04-08, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
You might have some idea if your post has been at least seen by a member by looking at their profile.
It shows the time of their last visit which you can compare against the time of your post.
I guess I am not sure of all one can do by looking at the profile. I have only looked at 'all posts made by' (someone), on occasion.

And first time posters would only have one; their first one, they never came back to respond to, in many cases. I'll have to look into that "views" business.

Gratification is not all of it. I'd simply like to know if they are even reading what you spent time posting. Otherwise, if not, it is like you are simply putting on some show of what you know, for other members to see, and not the first-time OP poster.

Old 10-04-08, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
I always base a lot of my responses on the amount of information given in the OP. If it's "It broke, no work, please help!" then they get "what is it, when did it break, what have you done?" in response.

If they post back with the relevent information, then they are probably serious.

A 1 line question deserves a 1 line response.

Old 10-04-08, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2000 View Post
Probationary poster, interesting concept. Deny membership to the non consolatory, and revoke membership of pseudo experts. ......
Well, I think you are going a little overboard on my request. A
simple follow up additional request information or acknowledgement is what I am simply requesting, to know that they are using this forum to help learn their answer, rather than disappearing into etherspace after their first post of inquiry. Nto looking for anything congradulatory.

Revoking membership to pseudo experts is piling on my initial idea. That may be an idea you could promote. That wasn't in my OP.

Old 10-04-08, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
. I do think the OP's may glean the information, use it and just aren't considerate enough to post a "thanks" or other comment.
I guess that is our only hope. Interestingly though, I often see these one-time posters never have their green light lit, at least when I am on board, which is for a goodly time sometimes, (meaning they are on board here). Hence why I posted this.

Rather than me make yet another quote and post, I read someone say about know-it-alls. I might be one in certain ways. Many of us are, I guess. But to be honest with you, I have learned certain valuable things from some of the (other?) know-it-alls, and their postings are invaluable. I enjoy reading them.

Old 10-04-08, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
A 1 line question deserves a 1 line response.
I think I'll have to try that.

: Anybody else have to type in the words for the smilie faces today? It says my smilies are both "on" and not disabled. Anybody else?

Old 10-04-08, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
To clarify on checking a member's profile;
If you click on a member's name then click "View profile" you will see to the right of the member's name "Last activity".
This will tell you if the member has logged in after your response which will tell you that the member has likely seen your answer.

As far as one line answers go if it is not the best answer you could possibly give and is in retaliation to a question you do not like you then would displaying a less than professional attitude.

This is not the message this site likes to convey.

Old 10-04-08, 01:29 PM
I guess I have a little different take. I don't need a thank you post although it would be nice to see if a recommendation given here solved the problem. People come here looking for help. If we can give them an answer that helps them out, why is it necessary to get a thanks? We don't know their situation or circumstances. We don't even know if they have read the helpful responses or if the problem was resolved by some other means.

The only time I get bothered is when someone asks for help and 5-6 members will respond with solid recommendations and the guy posts back that he's gonna' do it his way anyway.

Old 10-04-08, 01:48 PM
Agree, CW, I didn't mean they should thank us for our answers, it is just nice when they do. Like those who have no water at their kitchen faucet, and we give them elementary plumbing 101, check the strainer. They respond very favorably as if we really helped them. Nothing to us, but a great deal to them.
I was just posting to give my take on our help posts. Even if the OP doesn't respond, another one may search, find an answer they need and the world goes around.

Old 10-04-08, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
GregH
I didn't mean that...
If someone has an obvious problem with a common issue, then sure, they get the total extent of my (admittedly limited) knowledge.
I think some folks, that have been here much longer than me, have a library of complete and detailed responses (or they are good typers!...lol).

But posts like "my 2004 truck doesn't run right, whats wrong?", needs a bit more info. If they never come back to explain, then I think a one line initial reply is appropriate.

No one ever started off as an all knowing DIY'er. That I understand completely. Gawd knows I'm not!

Thanks don't matter, I just like knowing if they got it fixed. A 12 pack was always my standard thanks from my old neighbors...lol.

Old 10-04-08, 02:40 PM
it is fairly obvious when a poster is just fishing for any info with out planning on being a regular, but I always try to give the best help i can anyway, hay we all got to start somewhere and i have been stupid in my time too. or as dave ramsey says paid my share of stupid tax. hopefully even if we don't help that poster we will help someone else.
i read a lot of posts before signing on as a member. and even today find myself reading a lot more posts just because i see a question that says woops i don't know anything about that subject and need to learn about it.
the only thing that agrivates me is when the op comes back and objects to help we give them instead of saying thankyou for your help.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-04-08, 03:59 PM
Ooh, ooh, I have another one, the school kids taking final exams and log on to get answers to questions they should have researched long before final time. Got caught on that on a time or two.
Gave a goofy answer once just for grins. He thanked me and surely wasn't hoping for an 'A'.

Old 10-07-08, 12:51 PM
I don't know if the probationary thing is necessary, but here is another idea.

How about dropping that 180 seconds between posts rule for anyone that has more than 100 posts. If you have 100posts and they havent kicked you off here, it should be pretty obvious that you are not a spammer, advertiser or any of those other bad people.:bad poster:

Old 10-07-08, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
How about dropping that 180 seconds between posts rule for anyone that has more than 100 posts. If you have 100posts and they havent kicked you off here, it should be pretty obvious that you are not a spammer, advertiser or any of those other bad people.:bad poster:
I like that idea!!!

Travis

Old 10-07-08, 06:26 PM
So, it's rules you want

Doityourself is the forum that brought you out of darkness. There shall no other rules before this one.

You shall not be idle, but busy yourself with projects. This shall go on generation after generation.

Remember the tool day. Celebrate it with a shopping spree.

Honor your father and mother. Build them a house.

Thy shall not kill, unless the dummy breaks a tool or brings it back dirty, then you shall slay him.

Six days shall you labor. On the seven day you shall ask advise. After all, that's what makes this forum a forum. Six days of screw-ups; then swallow your pride and ask how to do it properly. We don't like the righteous ones. The ones that ask beforehand.

If you don't like the first answer, or someone ruffles your feathers, stick around, BECAUSE we want another crack at you.

You shall not covet another mans wife, but if you want one, you can have mine. I'll through in the leash. Her Indian name is Sleeps-a-lot is-2-lazy N ugly fur me. (Yeah, I know!).

Old 10-07-08, 07:28 PM
WOW--you really are a POLITICALLY CORRECT KIND OF GUY.
It was nice of you to take time out of the debate to tell us
how stupid we really are..............................
What makes you think I don't want to covet some guys wife?
( but not yours )..........................

Old 10-07-08, 08:18 PM
Geese, Jessica, take something for that.

Old 10-07-08, 09:31 PM
I don't mean to be nasty--it comes w/ old age--what I thought you really meant was--The unnatural & increasingly
rapid growth of the feeble-minded & insane classes, coupled
as it is with a steady restriction among all the thrifty, energetic & superior stock, constitutes a national & race danger which it is impossible to exaggerate...I feel that the source from which the stream of madness is fed should be cut off & sealed up before another year has passed.............
CLOSE??

Old 10-08-08, 04:01 AM
D'jall go to school together?

Old 10-08-08, 06:53 AM
Close. I especially enjoy the Geo Christianity predominating this thread. Long on rules for others to live by, due to ( rapid growth of the feeble-minded & insane classes), {of course, this is in part due to the aging process the wasting away in preparation for death}, impunity from regulation ( restriction among all the thrifty, energetic & superior stock) of the self righteous, biblical recanting of scripture (examples of how it's done on other websites) {idol worship} ( the source from which the stream of madness is fed should be cut off & sealed up before another year has passed.)......... The only race danger is blowing a tenie runner at 140mph. Kudos, you came closest.

Stark reality: Clap, bang, a site, predicated on a box, was created. A crowd gathered. Patronage followed. The patrons sinned. God was angered. God anointed Moses and gave him commandments. Moses wrote the commandments and appointed priests. And that is a brief history of doityourself.com.

Where is it written that I need more rules imposed by patrons. Especially self righteous ones.

Old 10-08-08, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Okay. I think this thread has run its course.

Closed.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread