Going to the movies....

Old 10-14-08, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to the movies....

Yeah I know going to the movies is expensive. But when people go to the movies, do they actually check how clean it is between the seats? The reason I am asking this is because I clean a movie theater and corporate wants between the seats cleaned down to the paint. This has probably not been done in 20 years. Also, a lot of seatposts are breaking, so I thought like half the theater employees that replacing all the seats would make more sense. By the way, this is not a mom and pop theater, it is part of a national chain, so money shouldn't be an issue, especailly since they are debating completely redoing the whole building. Please respond with your views on this. Thank you much and don't have too much fun!!!

Other issues with this building are:

Roof leaks
spots of bad concrete
carpet is beyond stained
bathroom stall doors not latching
theater floors need paint,

Could go on, but that is the general picture of this building.GI2

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
One thing to keep in mind when dealing with large companies is that if your theatre is run down then many or possibly all of the remaining buildings may be in the same state.

It is common and likely cheaper for the chain to do a corporate wide renovation than to just do one at a time.

Old 10-14-08, 05:34 PM
I understand this, but I cannot picture customers looking between the seats for cleanliness when they sit down to watch a movie.

Old 10-15-08, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
I like clean floors more. Nothing like that sticky feeling of dried soft drinks under your feet.

I would think something like an annual or every six months full cleaning would not be out of line.

Old 10-15-08, 10:58 AM
If you go to the first show at the theater I clean, you will not find a sticky floor, but you may smell ammonia. However if you go to later shows, you will find that the theater employees who clean between shows probably need seeing-eye dogs to do this part of their job. Everything gets swept under the seats and spills are ignored most of the time. I am kinda thinking of steam cleaning or using a water pistol loaded with acid. Also i kinda think that the buildup in this area is the only thing holding these seats together. Every Monday morning, every theater gets total mopped versus spot mopped. Even worse than sticky floors is the twelve row spills of popcorn oil that leaked from the bottom of the bag. In dim spots you can lose your footing in this kind of spill.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 10-15-08 at 11:01 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 10-20-08, 01:39 PM
People that come in such as the guy who stocks the candy machines basically say WTF are they thinking (cleaning between seats). I used vandalism mark remover on one seat post that I pulled this morning (broken weld), and guess what? It was rust, not paint under the grime.

Old 10-26-08, 03:25 PM
I am using Krud Kutter, and then steam cleaning. Not perfect, but perfect would mean taking apart every seat, cleaning and reassembly which could take 20 min per seat versus 3. Corporate would never pay for that much time (20min).

Old 10-26-08, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
One thing that could be considered about cleaning between the seats is public safety.
Although it takes longer to clean thoroughly those not easily seen spaces are likely harboring billions of harmful bacteria.

Adults and especially children squirming in their seats then eating the theater's $50.00/lb popcorn could be going home with more than they bargained for.

For what folks pay for the theater experience the least they can expect is cleanliness.