Forum Update and URLs in Posts

Old 10-31-08, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Forum Update and URLs in Posts

Got a totally unexpected reaction from the upgraded forum software when including the basic URL for an image hosting site. It added descriptive words I didn't type. Makes my post almost look like spam. Not really a problem since they are clickable just weird. Wonder where the forum software is pulling the extra info from.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-08, 10:19 AM
Same thing happened to me. I actually when back and edited the post to let everyone know I have nothing to do with the link and was not advertising.

Old 10-31-08, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Not as benign as I first thought maybe. A poster in Electrical seems to have had URL links to images altered in a way that no longer directs you to the image, only the site. Will test here after work.

Old 10-31-08, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
This is a test to see if an image link will be distorted.

http://i34.************/4kgy7m.gif

Edit: OK this time the software didn't change it. I wonder though if I just post the homepage URL?

http://.************

Edit: OK maybe they fixed the problem because this time when posting the homepage URL nothing was added.

Old 11-01-08, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Ya, there have been a few bumps with the new software but that ************ service will likely be soon unavailable for use on these forums.
This redirecting of url addresses is a major security problem like a similar service that has the word url behind the first word of tinypic is which has been disabled on these forums.

Here is what you get when you type ************ but use a t instead of a b: ************

Old 11-01-08, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
OK now you confused me. What's with the asterisks? They weren't there when I did the test posts. Did they change the software after my test and the software added them?

Are you saying hyper links will not only be disabled but obscured with asterisks? The use of links is very important in forums like the Electrical forum.

You wrote:
Here is what you get when you type ************ but use a t instead of a b: ************
What did you mean by that. (Hmmm...Interesting the BB icons don't seem to work. I had to hand code the quote. Is that part of the change?)

Old 11-01-08, 09:01 AM
nap
also I notice "smilies" are not working

spell check isn't working

and why does it say "permalink" after the posting number (at the top right of each post)?

Old 11-01-08, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
The post with messed up links that originially caused me to post this thread now comes up blank after a long load. It was: "wires on ele motor " In "AC-DC".

Old 11-02-08, 01:12 AM
testing testing you have to type the smiley out manually. this software is not working right with the board.

Search this Thread