Movies

Old 11-06-08, 03:39 PM
Movies

Does anybody (over 30) go to the movies anymore? When my wife and I were dating and even after we married, we would go to the movies almost every weekend. Last night she asked if I could remember the last time we saw a movie in a theatre. I couldn't.

I can sit at home in the comfort of my own chair, and watch a movie on a large screen Hi Def, surround sound, home theater system for $4. I don't even have to leave the house with PPV and OnDemand available at the touch of a button. No gas wasted and no parking problems.

I can make my own popcorn - a hell of a lot better and cheaper than the theater stuff - and drink whatever I want. I can pause it when I gotta' go and record it if I start dozing off. And my shoes never get sticky.

Why would anyone pay through the nose to watch a movie in a theater?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-08, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some women [maybe all] just like to spend money. Like you, I'd rather rent a movie on tv and watch it in the comfort of my own home but my wife would prefer to go to the theater. She can also cook better than most of the places we go to eat but you know that don't fly

Old 11-06-08, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, no theater here, so it's not a huge problem. When we were in VA, it killed me that it cost about $35 or more just for 2 people to see a movie and get the standard snacks with it. Even worse when we were staying in San Diego, $12 or so per person and the other stuff was ridiculous!

Netflix is the way we roll now.

Old 11-06-08, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
I prefer to watch a movie at home and I don't even have a large screen or a home theatre system I can't even remember the last time I went to the movies, but the movies are not the same as they used to be, either.

Some women [maybe all] just like to spend money.
Umm, well I think men like to spend money, too.
I'll tell you, if women want to go out and see a movie, it's not because they like to spend money :NO NO NO: , it's because they like to out once in a while. You know, the fun of going out. Beer 4U2

Old 11-06-08, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It ain't the cost of the movie. You can get in on a matinee for a couple of bucks each. It's the popcorn, candy, drinks, etc. that drive the bill up. $3.50 for a Coke?????
Give me a break.

Old 11-07-08, 03:52 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Umm, well I think men like to spend money, too.
Yeah, but guys like to spend money on truly important stuff, like TOOLS!

Old 11-07-08, 08:43 AM
you don't have to go to most expensive show out there. there are plenty of discount shows that show movies for less then $2 per person. they get the film 2nd hand when the main shows are done with it so its cheaper. its also known as a 2nd run.besides maybe some people don't want to wait for it to come out on PPV before seeing it.

Old 11-07-08, 11:54 AM
Talking movies-to go or not to go?

I am over 30(twice) and we still go to the movies when there is one we like. We usually go with the same couple(double date??) about 3 times a month. Because we are above the limit, we get the "SENIOR DISCOUNT". Anyway it is a night out with friends. We usually go out and eat first(talk about expensive). But, who says we have tomorrow? My wife has put up with me for 45 years, so she DESERVES a nite out.

that's my opinion-should be yours! LOL!!!

Old 11-07-08, 12:59 PM
The "new economy" is going to put a hurting on theaters.With the costs being what they are and now everybody watching pennies,something has to give and going to the movies would be one of them I'd suspect.

Of course it might cause a pull back in ridiculous movie costs but more than that is it will likely speed up the watch it at home element by speeding up how long it is before a movie is available to see at home.I'd pay a few dollars to see a movie at home even maybe the same ticket price to avoid gas and overpriced popcorn and drinks.I'd rahter sit on my own furniture than a narrow seat with a sticky floor.

Old 11-07-08, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
There are so many options now..I agree with spdavid. We stream movies from Netflix to my wifes PC, and pretty soon I'll have it set up to stream to the plasma. Hmm.... $15 a month for most releases in the last 3 months vs $12 per ticket, if we even had a theatre (told ya before its a small town).

Many movies that get released go to DVD within months, kinda tells you the quality of whats being put out now. Why would I pay so much to see dreck? We can have a night out (or in) for much less trouble and money.

Old 11-07-08, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by mikeTN View Post
I am over 30(twice) and we still go to the movies when there is one we like. We usually go with the same couple(double date??) about 3 times a month. Because we are above the limit, we get the "SENIOR DISCOUNT". Anyway it is a night out with friends. We usually go out and eat first(talk about expensive). But, who says we have tomorrow? My wife has put up with me for 45 years, so she DESERVES a nite out.

that's my opinion-should be yours! LOL!!!
Mike - I understand the expensive dining thing but usually when we go out for dinner, I don't come away feeling ripped off after an uncomfortable experience.

I've been married 40 years and fortunately my wife feels the same way about movies as me. Now if I could only figure out a way to keep her out of the Spa. It seems like every time I buy an expensive tool that I just absolutely have to have or maybe that pricey new driver that will get me an extra 20 yards, she goes out and drops a bundle at one of the local spas. What a waste.

Old 11-07-08, 03:51 PM
CW, don't laugh at me, but being over 30 twice like Mike, my wife and I don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy each other's company. We do go out to eat once a month, but use Netflix like GG.
BUT, on my birthday in 2007 she gave me a coupon for a 1 hour massage with the girl she goes to. Now, being the rough, tough, nail driving, hand scarred guy that I am, I looked at her with the deer in the headlights look and said "you gotta be kiddin'". Been going once a month for over a year, now!! Most relaxing thing after a hard week's work, so don't belittle her for going to the spa just because you spent $200 on a surface planer.

Old 11-08-08, 01:10 PM
Chandler - Did you miss the smiley thingy? It was meant to be a joke. I would never belittle my wife. That's part of the reason we've been together for over 40 years.

Old 11-09-08, 12:30 PM
I can tell that a lot of parents are taking their kids to see Madagascar 2. At least I don't think that children bring in beer cans and nips of hard liquor. I personally think that the theater I clean should sell shots of grain alcohol to help parents survive some of these kid's movies. Just think how many parents would appreciate that offer.

Old 11-09-08, 04:07 PM
CW, I guess I didn't pay attention too closely. I know you wouldn't belittle your wife, it was just funny the way you put it. Hang in there another 40!

Old 11-09-08, 06:14 PM
I havn't been to a movie outside the house ( nutflix ) in years..............
Together 45+ years---only time we go out together is to funerals & weddings---
I'll take that back--she works 10 hours a week & I drive & pick her up.
She has her books, vol. work, Church, etc.
I do what I do when I feel like doing.......................

Going to a show is not what I feel like doing............

Old 11-10-08, 10:54 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post

Mike - I understand the expensive dining thing but usually when we go out for dinner, I don't come away feeling ripped off after an uncomfortable experience.

I've been married 40 years and fortunately my wife feels the same way about movies as me. Now if I could only figure out a way to keep her out of the Spa. It seems like every time I buy an expensive tool that I just absolutely have to have or maybe that pricey new driver that will get me an extra 20 yards, she goes out and drops a bundle at one of the local spas. What a waste.
Lucky for me, my wife hasn't "discovered" the spa yet(to my knowledge). I might trade that spa thing for that old junker that I want.

I was lucky enough(???) to take the grandkids(three of them) to see Madagascar 2 this week-end.(more drinks please!)

We never argue!! She is always right!! LOL!

GOTTA LOVE EM!

Old 11-10-08, 03:27 PM
Good attitude, Mike. Last Saturday I had plans to lay tile in the cabin. Geared up, and ready. Woke up and remembered she was not working at the hospital this weekend.....drag. Wound up disk harrowing her garden spot, picking up 2 yards of mulch and spreading it around the apple trees. I let her be in charge on her weekends off.....yeah right.

Old 11-10-08, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Since there are wife comments...have to throw this in, and I'm paraphrasing from the bathroom Digest.

"My wife and I hardly ever argue, and if we do, one of us always realizes pretty quickly that I was wrong."

Old 11-15-08, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Well, no theater here, so it's not a huge problem. When we were in VA, it killed me that it cost about $35 or more just for 2 people to see a movie and get the standard snacks with it. Even worse when we were staying in San Diego, $12 or so per person and the other stuff was ridiculous!

Netflix is the way we roll now.
I made the mistake of taking the family to the "New" Batman movie last summer while on vacation.

My wife had to take 2 of our youngest girls 11 and 8 outside of the movie because it was too upsetting for them and the darn movie was so long I had to hold my "water" way too long......very uncomfortable not to mention the cost for the tickets, soda's, popcorn and candy...............why?

The few movies I went to see in the last 20 years..........stank! Exhibit A......The Generals' Daughter, The Perfect Storm, Batman........need I say more?

It's sooooo much better to watch at home............no big hair in front you, no uncomfortable seats, traffic, high costs, ect........
That's why god invented Netflix.

Old 11-29-08, 10:29 PM
i still go to the movies once in a while AND rent from netflex(mostly concert dvds) and still go to the local drive-in movie theater which is open year round with free in car heaters.

Old 11-30-08, 11:39 AM
What is a drive-in movie? I have heard them mentioned in books but have never seen one in person and by the way I am 34 years old, not some teenager who never heard of cassete tapes (which I still play in my car, haven't gotten around to getting a CD player installed)LOL

Old 11-30-08, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Nightowl...they are a dieing breed of entertainment.

Nothing like the thrill of cramming 4 people (or more) into the trunk and paying the charge for only 2 people.

And what about steamy windows and shock testing?

Going to the snack bar at intermission for some food (almost real food in most cases).

Taking a cooler full of your preferred beverages instead of paying $4 for a large drink.

Waking up at 1AM when the lights come on, when you were supposed to have her home at 11?

Ahhhh those were the days...

Old 11-30-08, 12:58 PM
there are still 3 that i know of drive in theaters in our area, one in chickashaw, one in south OKC and one in Tulsa of course some times the quality of programing is bad. the great thing about the driveins now is low watage fm so you listen on your car radio, much better sound than the old speakers.

by the way fireproof is a movie you don't have to take the kids out of if you watch. It will be over their heads though. good movie for couples to see.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 11-30-08, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Gunguy, you forgot about driving off after the movie with the speaker still hanging on the window. Of course, the new FM feed took care of that problem. Haven't been to a drive-in in about 20 years.

Old 11-30-08, 05:56 PM
So THAT's what that big white thing was up front. A screen??
When I was a kid, we lived behind a drive in. On Thursdays a couple of us would deliver movie circulars in the neighborhoods on our bikes. Got paid a couple of dollars. After we got paid, we rode through the drive in turning up all the speakers to full volume. On Friday, the speakers that weren't used gave enough volume for us to hear the movie on the screen. We could see it from our back porch. Where does the time go?

Old 11-30-08, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
What is a drive-in movie? I have heard them mentioned in books but have never seen one in person and by the way I am 34 years old, not some teenager who never heard of cassete tapes (which I still play in my car, haven't gotten around to getting a CD player installed)LOL
this Drive-in theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

theres one within 30 minutes of me with 9 screens. 5 open year round.

Old 11-30-08, 08:39 PM
Before we were married -- we always went to the drive-in.
Later--we put the kids on the roof of the wagon---
so we could enjoy the movie in peice & quiet..............Beer 4U2

Old 12-02-08, 07:41 AM
Some movies we like to still go to large screen theater to watch are usually adventure or special effects but only 1 or 2 times a year. Usually can ait for DVD. Went to kids matinees occaisonally with them too. A drive-in reopened in our area after being closed for over 15 years. the kids enjoy them as I do. Take most of all our refreshments in car along with lounge chairs and get 2 just released movies for price of 1. It has been doing alot of business too thankfully.
I am a movie and sports nut but have had a problem for many years paying ridiculous ticket and food prices and then seeing ridiculous amount in millions $ stars are paid. Quit those amounts and pass the savings on to us!

Search this Thread