Sometimes I miss our first house

Old 11-27-08, 08:08 AM
Sometimes I miss our first house

At the holidays I miss all the room we had--no need for card
table & extra chairs. It had a formal diningroom with a
mahogany table to seat 12 people--a mahogany serving
buffet--4 french glass folding doors to a sun room -library( off dining room -built as part of the house ) 4 french glass folding doors
off dining room leading to living room--downstairs bedroom
converted to sitting room ( TV , etc, ).
It was great for a big crowd.-----
I have to admit I will not miss the heating bill--w/ 50+ french
glass windows--putting up storm windows was a nightmare.
The state would not let me have a machine gun---so we finally had to move.........................
Enjoy...........................

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I remember ours as a child. 2 bedrooms, a converted carport, 1 bath, floor furnace in the hallway that burned your feet if you weren't careful. The kitchen wouldn't allow 2 people to pass gracefully. Table sat 3.....4 if you took up part of the kitchen. But our survival rate was 100%, so that's good.

Old 11-27-08, 08:32 PM
@chandler
Well--at least you didn't have to worry about bullets coming
through your french windows........................

Now we are in our fourth & last house----------no bullets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & a lot less room--
I only think about the old place when we have a crowd for the holidays.............

Last edited by j HOWARD; 11-27-08 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, the experience is there. I maintained 4 section 8 houses for my uncle in a less than exclusive section of Atlanta. My tool belt consisted of a nail pouch, hammer hook, tape measure, square and a .45 automatic. Once it started getting dark, you left....period. Sirens were deafening constant popping of gunfire. Unbelievable people have such a lifestyle.
But thinking back to my great uncle's house.....big rooms, 12' ceilings, nice staircase, always the "entertaining" place. Good memories.

Old 11-28-08, 04:46 AM
How about downsizing to a small condo, getting a terminal diagnosis, limited income, and living alone and no living relatives? Holidays alone. Count your blessings.

Memories of big and luxurious homes and lifestyles? Yes. Life happens and then those memories tend to fade.

Old 11-29-08, 11:23 AM
I grew up in a home that had two bedrooms and one bathroom. Three boys in one bedroom and our parents in the other. It wasn't a particularly small house but it was poorly laid out. I don't miss it at all.

Nor do I miss having Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with a whole bunch of people that I didn't particularly care for at the time and definitely wouldn't care for now.

Long term illness, 1,500 square foot house and no relatives to bother me. Life is good.

Search this Thread