Why are Tinypic URLs Banned?

Old 01-21-09, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Why are Tinypic URLs Banned?

Any time you try to use the photo sharing site Tinypic the forum software mungs the URL. Tinypic in my opinion has an easier to use, less cluttered interface then Photobucket.. It took me less then 30 seconds to use Tinypic the first time. Photobucket I gave up on the first time and the second time it took probably half an hour. Part of the ease of using Tinypic is no registration and the first page you get is the one for uploading. With Photobucket after I did get it working when I went back the next time I had to dig for the page to upload on.

A lot of people needing to post photos so they can more easily be helped just need an easy way not a more complicated site geared more to people building online albums. If Tinypic is somehow bad then perhaps the forums should suggest some easy to use site. I have seen the explanation that pictures don't stay long at Tinypic but I have never had a problem of vanishing pictures in another forum I use it for and is the potential of eventual not valid URLs any worse then intentionally munging the URL?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-09, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
I think its just a leftover problem from the weekend....I've seen it used before, and the site was notified earlier by someone.

Old 01-21-09, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's being addressed..........................(adding pointless '.' to have the 25 char. min)

Old 01-21-09, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for the quick response.

Old 01-22-09, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's been addressed aparently, and it won't be unblocked....the powers that be at work.

Old 01-24-09, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe a sticky for each forum about posting images and any banned image sites? I know extra work for the mods that are already over loaded. Or maybe just one write up with a link in each forum. Regular users have no idea what image sites are not allowed and newbies may not know how to post an image.

Some forums do provide space for hosting users images but I'm guessing that would be a no-go.

Old 01-25-09, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
TinyPic is a site along with tinyurl and other "url hiding" addresses we do not allow.
TinyPic does not actually hide the url because you upload to their site but because you do not need to register to upload the content could be a risk.
In fact, the owner of the site is PhotoBucket which I use but must register there and can have my content screened.

And ya, I agree that stickies with COMPLETE site use instructions would be great but there are too many features available here to walk folks through all of them.

We allow the posting of images but this is not the main direction of this site.
At one time we allowed images but had to manually code the url.
Now it is very simple and people should be able to easily learn the function of all the buttons on the forum reply page .

Generally the internet is a diy learning experience but any moderator should be able to help if folks need it.

Old 01-25-09, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Thank you for your explanation on Tinypic. Maybe it is a character flaw of mine but I can't settle for just the "what" I need the "why" also.

Now it is very simple and people should be able to easily learn the function of all the buttons on the forum reply page
Just my opinion: For the most part to me even though my vision is good they are little more then blobs of colors and, at least on my computer, there are no tool tips when I run a mouse over them. Text would be nice. I had to figure out what they did by selecting them and in some case reading the BB code they produced.

P.S. I can sort of make out the "insert image" icon but it looks like a envelope with a stamp on it so I thought it was for e-mail.

Old 01-25-09, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Ya, I can appreciate difficulty some might have with figuring out the icons.
My father however at 75 years of age was able to navigate a computer and the internet somewhat while being totally blind using Jaws reading software.

I had to figure out what they did by selecting them and in some case reading the BB code they produced.
This is how we all learn it!

Old 01-25-09, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm...what browser are you guys using...I get pop up labels when I mouse over...both FF and IE.

Old 01-25-09, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Hmm...what browser are you guys using...I get pop up labels when I mouse over...both FF and IE.
I apologize. I was wrong. Don't have IE and hadn't tried it in Firefox. The mouse-over does work in Firefox. Must be a Seamonkey thing. Will have to check my settings though tool tips usually work for me in Seamonkey.