Once you have reached the 150 post mark...

Old 01-22-09, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once you have reached the 150 post mark...

Once you have reached the 150 post mark when spread over several areas, shouldn't this be a pretty good indicator that you are NOT a spammmer. The 25 character post seems kind of redundant for a yes or no answer unless you are a politician or one of those sports stars that are part of a team that hasn't done anything since the Clinton administration who has a love affair with the media.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 06:03 AM
150 posts? You never know when someone will break bad. Years ago we had a couple guys who were well over 1,000 posts and figured out some clever ways of advertising using hidden links in photos. They broke bad and had to go bye bye for advertising.

25 characters? That tends to limit interjections like "Yep." "Nope." "Go dude!" Even with the 25 character limit, there are posts with an excessive number of characters that make no real contribution to discussion.

"...seems kind of redundant for a yes or no answer unless you are a politician or one of those sports stars that are part of a team that hasn't done anything since the Clinton administration who has a love affair with the media." Due your placement of adjective clause, it is not clear who is having the love affair. Sports star? Clinton?

Old 01-22-09, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
No. ...............................................

Old 01-22-09, 09:59 AM
How did 'No.' get past the 25 character requirement?

Old 01-22-09, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Some of the computer types know how to do it..TowGuy or Speedwrench can as well....not sure how...maybe some hidden characters?

Old 01-22-09, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh IClike this I guess, or they may be other ways

Old 01-22-09, 10:44 AM
How did 'No.' get past the 25 character requirement?
As soon as you get past 17,000 posts the 25 character minimum goes away.

Old 01-22-09, 10:54 AM
You never know when someone will break bad. Years ago we had a couple guys who were well over 1,000 posts and figured out some clever ways of advertising using hidden links in photos. They broke bad and had to go bye bye for advertising.
Ahh, I get it, we are presumed guilty and can never prove our innocence here. Never know when we might "break bad"!!!!

There are lots of good people here day in and day out. I'd not assume that any of them will "break bad".

25 characters? That tends to limit interjections like "Yep." "Nope." "Go dude!" Even with the 25 character limit, there are posts with an excessive number of characters that make no real contribution to discussion.
I have seen many questions here that require no more than a "yes" or "no" response. If you can answer someones question in 1 word and it gets them the answer they need, then whats wrong with that.

And while we are at it, what about that 180 seconds between posts rule? It doesnt take that long to type "yes" or "no".

Old 01-22-09, 10:54 AM
Obviously, someone here needs some stress relief. Go to http://www.therightfoot.net/mystuff/...bubblewrap.swf

Old 01-22-09, 10:57 AM
Twelvepole

Thanks for that link. Now I have something to do while I wait for 180 seconds to pass.

Old 01-22-09, 11:38 AM
Someone had too much time on their hands.

Old 01-22-09, 11:43 AM
So the idea is penalize all for the acts of a few?

So that's what the software "upgrade" is....we're all being punished.

Well you never can be too careful.I might really be Billy Mays just waiting for my chance to shout at everybody about OxyClean.

Old 01-22-09, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife has a friend that went over to her daughters house to do the laundry for her. The next time she saw/spoke to her daughter she said "that oxycontin is some good stuff - it really got the clothes clean"

I agree there ought to be a work around the minimum letter and the 3 minute wait for established members in good standing but what I know about running a web site wouldn't prime a thimble, much less fill it

Old 01-22-09, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Funny how this comes up about every 6 months or so isn't it...?
Its already been addressed 3-4 times just since I've been here.

Old 01-22-09, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Yep

Old 01-22-09, 06:09 PM
Hi .............I can do this too...................

Old 01-22-09, 06:27 PM
Marksr, not that the subject needs changing, but....there was a case against a couple of real tough teen burglars in Athens, GA a few years ago, who broke into one of the veterinarian complexes and consequently into the drug case. They saw oxy......and thought, WOW, we hit a gold mine. They were caught and at trial, the judge asked one of the veterinarians what Oxytocin was used for. To produce lactation in cattle. The judge said he wished it was in his power to make them take all they stole, but he couldn't.

Old 01-22-09, 07:09 PM
gg last i checked the only way i could use less than 25 words in a answer is by typing in my ending lines. such as
life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-23-09, 01:26 AM
The idea behind the 180 second wait between posts is to deter advertisers who post multiple ads in multiple forums. The wait after one post hopefully sends the overly eager advertiser off in search of another website to plant his seed. Then, we have only one advertising post with which to deal.

But, there are those tenancious advertisers who find something to do during the 180 second wait (pop bubble wrap?) and will post in multiple forums. From the perspective of having to wait 180 seconds between each report of these multiple posts is, indeed, annoying and time consuming. Most recently, it took me 30 minutes to report the multiple posts of an advertiser. Thus, the 180 second delay in theory sounds good, but in reality is a pain in a certain part of the anatomy and is an insult to the intelligence of those reporting advertising posts.

Old 01-23-09, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah Speed....couldn't remember if it was you or TG...it was him. But I found his secret....

Old 01-23-09, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Not surprisingly,... not everyone fully understands nor appreciates all the reasons for the time and/or character limits....

Detailed explanation below.

The character limits are NOT primarily there to punish nor "penalize" anyone or everyone. The software simply does not separate members or mods by post count or by any other factor. Like many software settings, they are across the board and apply to everyone. And post count really means nothing anywhere on the site anyway.

The time and character limits do help to discourage all but the most determined & hardcore spammers and/or advertisers who's only intent is to spam the site with ads and/or advertisements, etc. All of which none of you like to see in the forum topics and many of you, thankfully report....

The time and character limits work and are not going away. They do help to discourage the "Copy & Paste" spammers whom spam or would like to quickly spam multiple forums. Without the time and character limits us mods would have to cleanup spams in multiple forums.

This multiple forum spamming tends to fend off most spammers. As well as help mods keep their forums clean and free of spam, etc. If any of you where mods and had to do the work a moderator has to do, you would understand and appreciate the time and character limits too!....

The un-thought of benefit to members of having character limits is an attempt to get mods and members to reply with more complete and detailed replies to posted questions. Far to often a one sentence reply does not fully answer the question. And we do get complaints on this issue.

Ever take the time to notice how a member posting a question replies and or responds back to one reply post and not some of the others?

Members asking questions relate to and really due appreciate full and complete answers with many or all details. Instead of one liners, one sentence replies, that say nothing of substance and/or provide nothing of any helpful value....

Put yourself in their shoes and consider how an incomplete reply appears to them.... They tend to feel unimportant and not valued..... Same applies to posts left unanswered....

Many members do appreciate full replies with all the details, solutions and or possibilities etc, and they state so and compliment many of you all in their communications with myself and other staff members how well this site does when compared to competitive sites of this kind.

All due to the fact that they do get better advise on this site then on other sites.... A compliment to many of you but unfortunately not all of you. But it should be to all and not just some, IMO.

And using "WHITE" lettering to defeat the system does nothing but reveal those whom have too much time on their hands. Time that could be put to better use helping those in need of advice, IMO.

Old 01-23-09, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
SA....thank you for a very clear and concise explanation. I'm sure you've posted it in the past to a similar question. I'm also sure not everyone will agree, but I don't agree with all speed limits, helmet laws or weapons laws either. I deal with them though.

How bout we just PM you every 6 months or so when the question pops back up....it would save some time...lol. Maybe I should just mark this post and put a link in when it happens again.

Old 01-24-09, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Linking back to this post is a good idea....

Linking back to any other posts pertaining to similarly & repeatedly asked questions on how and/or why this site operates and/or is set up to operate and/or function as it does, would be much appreciated.........

This question and many more like it will be asked over and over again and again. Making notes on each similar type question and the explained reasons for having this site set-up & operating as it is, can then be reposted as a reply back explanation. That would be very helpful........

Any reposting, as a reply back to a such type question asked, can be a copy and paste reply. Links back to the thread(s) in this forum topic can and should be included. The reply post should be more then just a link. It should contain the text explanation and the link as a validation of the explanation.

Avoid sending Pm's to me or anyone on such issues or when such questions are posted. Answers to such questions as these, should be made in a public forum such as this, so anyone and/or everyone can read them. Which does not happen in a Pm.

BTW #1:
Both the time limit between postings and the character limits to a post have been studied, evaluated and adjusted over a long time period. The current limits are the best possible solutions and have proven to work rather well. Both are here to stay, as a result.

BTW #2:
Topic Moderators, as well as Group & Super Moderators should already be using the above method or one similar...

Search this Thread