Hey Mods....

Old 01-31-09, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Mods....

When there is obvious SPAM in multiple forums, with diff Mods, do you need or want notifications in each forum? Or does one person search for the posts by the spammer wherever they may be and take care of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-09, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, if a post with spam is in a forum that you moderate you can report the post then move it to the archives.
We can then ban the member if necessary.
I saw the reported posts but do not have the time to deal with them right now.

Being a "bad cop" around here takes a phenomenal amount of time!

Greg

Old 01-31-09, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Understood about the time and all Greg....but.....

multiple reports in diff forums...yes or no?

Old 01-31-09, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Report once, we'll get it. I stepped on the guy pushing furniture. Multiple violations can be handled with a single action by Group & Super Mod's.

Old 01-31-09, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, now I see what you are asking.

As TG says you only need to report a bad post once.
When we have to deal with someone we can bring up all their posts and move all of them in one click no matter where they are.

Greg

Old 01-31-09, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys...thats what I needed to know. Now I don't have to wait that 180 thing...lol

Old 01-31-09, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's been a few days since I've gotten to ban someone....I got a trigger finger going on now....bring them on.

Old 01-31-09, 06:04 PM
The furniture advertiser ended up with 11 posts. It takes 180 sec. to report each post. It takes the advertiser 180 sec. between posts. To tie up mods and others to see that these posts are reported and the amount of time to delete each individual post and ban the poster takes an additonal considerable amount of time, as GregH explains. To tie up the time of mods and loyal members who report advertisers, and to require the 180 sec. rule between posts delays the work of mods/reporters.

After the furniture guy advertiser posted 11 posts, one would assume that the 180 second rule does nothing to deter advertisers. It only slows down mods and reporters, who could be better utililizing their time helping DIYers on the site.

Priorities are backwards here. Maximize our time to help DIYers or tie it up in 180 sec. reporting to report a spammer who does not mind 180 sec. between posts?

I am sorry but I am brutally against the 180 sec. rule. It is an insult to the intelligence of a mod and a total waste of 3 min. x the number of advertiser(s)' posts out of lives of mods for every advertising post. Why punish the mods for the activities of the advertisers?

I go brush my teeth. Cleaning something. Put some handwashables in to soak. Run downstairs and make a sandwich. Make posts at hgtv. Check email. You can accomplish alot in 180 sec. if you set your mind to it.

This website is supposed to be cutting edge. A move into the future. If we are still hung up on the old-style, we are never going to move forth. Control issues will not move this website forward.

Yes, we will always have advertisers. Mods need to pay attention to the more sneaky and sophisticated ways that advertisers invade the forums. We have other problems from time to time, but advertising is a major issue. And, we are all punished for it with the time limits.

I say let up the time limits and let the mods loose to do their jobs. No mod is wanting to tackle posts from an advertiser with 11 posts, becaue they don't want to tie up 33+ min. of their time and miss serving the community when time is limited.

Mods can be exposed to the multitude of sneaky advertiser tactics. This will require ongoing continuing education between Admin and SuperMods. Mods will feel more involved, informed, responsible, and important if brought into the loop. You may find that lifting the 180 sec. limit might get more mods involved in moderating forums instead of ignoring them, as well as more inspiration to be 'real' moderators.

The 180 sec. rule stands in the way of progress here. I am a participant on many major internet forums. There is no such ridiculous limitation anywhere but here. Again, give mods the permission and the quick time to deal with advertisers. We have great mods on this website. Don't discourage with control freak time limits.

You have an advertiser that is willing to wait the 180 sec. You have a willing mod willing to wipe the guy out before he can post more ads. The advertiser is moving ahead because he got a head start. The mod/reporter becomes so frustrated that they either give up or they continue and then rant this forum.

Get over control issues. Let loose and empower the mods. Get over the time limit and let members report advertising and other violations in forums in a timely manner.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-31-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Not to be argumentive, but in this instance it was no harder to get rid of all the posts than just one. As soon as I saw multiples I clicked the poster's name, called up all his posts, and gang-moved them to archives. Then hit infraction and did the infraction admin stuff. Voila, all gone. Beer 4U2

Old 01-31-09, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Good post Twelve.

Sometimes I feel like we all are getting punished......

Old 02-01-09, 07:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Excellent Question & Replies

Excellent Question...

Thanks for asking Gunguy45.

And thanks Greg & Tow_Guy for posting excellent replies too...

There will always be a few members and a moderator or two whom are displeased with the time limits between postings, etc. Can't please everyone, even if an attempt to do so is made...

The time limit does it's job very well. It helps to discourage all but the most determined and persistent of spammers....

Whom find out very quickly they wasted all their time posting spams that can be quickly deleted all at one time and in one process, by mods whom know how to.....

And of course, always at least one member whom has to post a long winded and dragged out dissertation on a subject of how this site is operated..... and all their displeasures with it....

Oh Well! Once again, can't please everyone, even if an attempt to do so is made...

Old 02-01-09, 09:07 AM
This is starting to sound like the basis for a TV show:

The Mod Squad