DTV ready?

Old 02-02-09, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
DTV ready?

All my TVs are analog but I bought those conversion boxes back in the spring. While I sometimes have trouble with marginal signals, over all I'm satisfied with them and even get a few extra channels

I noticed the last couple of times I watched the news on the local CBS channel that they had a notice that would scroll across the screen at least once during the news. Basically it said that when the day to switch to digital comes, the majority of their viewers who have cable will notice no difference but the few who recieve digital signal over the air may not be able to view their channel until the end of may
apparently when they take down their analog attenna, the digital antenna goes off line too

All the fuss over some folks not getting their conversion boxes [the change over has been advertised for over a year] and it's the TV station who dropped the ball..... and our local station probably isn't the only one

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 07:55 AM
This whole switchover to digital has been a fiasco. That's assuming it really happens on February 17 and I see Congress is still monkeying with changing the actual date of the transition.

Locally, the VHF TV stations went to UHF for their digital transmissions, so everyone changed to a UHF antenna. Now we found out that on February 17, we need to do a "channel rescan" as they are going back to VHF for their permanent digital transmissions. So those of us who thought we WERE compliant and receiving a good strong DTV signal will now have to see if the new VHF frequency (and new transmitter location) totally changes our antenna orientation. I THOUGHT I was going to get good reception on digital, but now its going to be an unknown seeing how stations have been operating at reduced digital output, temporary transmitter locations, and temporary channel assignments. Isn't technology wonderful?

Old 02-07-09, 04:48 AM
The change to digital transmission has more good points than bad but I really question the need to again postpone the changeover. From what I have read the position is that some six million people have yet to make the necessary moves to continue receiving over the airwaves television programming.

Six million in a country of more than 300 million? That's two friggin' percent! Everyone else is supposed to stop progress for just two percent of the population? As John Stossell would say, "Give me a break!"

It's not like the digital transition has been a big secret either. It's been in all the newspapers and on many television shows the past year. My local PBS stations broadcast blurbs about the transition several times a week, a local broadcast station has a call-in show every Monday during the evening news, all the lower-priced stores like Wal*Mart and Rite Aid have the converters in their weekly ads along with other stores having them in their advertising on a regular basis.

I'm on ultra basic cable and I got one of the converter "coupons" (more like a credit card) and bought a converter for ten bucks out-of-pocket. It sort of works but that is more because I live in a hollow and almost need cable to get any kind of watchable picture. I put the converter away for possible use at some later date when I get really POed at Comcast.

I say, just do the conversion and get it over with. If 2% of the population is so brain-dead that they don't know of the change by now they won't be helped by any four month delay.

Old 02-07-09, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
But a lot of stations are planing to stop analog on Feb. 17 any way. The bill only gives them the option not to. Some analog signals will still go dark February 17 | Geek.com

Old 02-08-09, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by furd View Post
It's not like the digital transition has been a big secret either. It's been in all the newspapers and on many television shows the past year. My local PBS stations broadcast blurbs about the transition several times a week
One of the crazy things I noticed about the digital channels was when I first set up my convertor boxes was a channel, not available on analog, that was dedicated to explaining what you needed to do if you had analog and no cable. If you needed the info - you couldn't get that channel and if you could get it - you didn't needed it

Old 02-08-09, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
That's funny Mark!
Makes me think about when I'm watching the afternoon news and they're ready to give the traffic report to those about to leave work. Well if they're leaving their workplace, then they're not at home watching the traffic report! Duh! Can never figure that one out.

Old 02-08-09, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, but my dad, when he retired, moved to the country, turned on the evening local news to watch the traffic report and read the obituaries to make sure he hadn't died. He fought the Atlanta traffic for 37 years, and just laughed when he watched the gridlock.