Speed traps

Old 02-02-09, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Speed traps

Has anyone ever come close to rear ending the person in front of them due to the existence of a speed trap? The reason that I am asking this is because a couple weeks ago I was following someone going 82mph in a 65 mph zone. As soon as he saw a speed trap, he braked suddenly down to 55mph. I was expecting him to slow down but not by that much. Luckily this happened at 3:40AM so I was able to pull over into the right lane due to the almost nonexistent traffic. Since cars are safer and get better mpg today than they did 30 years ago, is there any reason for lower speed limits than back then other than to raise state and town revenue? I haven't personally seen the higher limits from back then but I have seen quite a few old movies and people have told me that speed limits are lower today than back then.

Have a good one all!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, you wanted experiences and opinions.....here ya go.

You were following way to close if you even got near the other guy. Don't think you know what the other guy is going to do. Don't run 17 MPH over the limit.

Most speed limits on highways in the east/midwest were 70MPH in the 60's and early 70's. Maybe 75 MPH in some areas...not that much difference from current.

Slow down...live longer...enjoy the ride.

Old 02-02-09, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Let's see, 3:00 o'clock in the morning driving too close behind the car in front of you at 82 mph. You have a death wish?

On some highways it used to be quite common to have a night-time speed limit that was 10 mph slower than daytime. US19 in the rural areas of Pinellas County, FL (St. Pete, Clearwater, et al) was 65 in the day and 55 at night. The speed limit signs were made in such a way that the 65 was visible during the day and the 55 at night.

Old 02-02-09, 05:27 PM
I don't think the speed limits are there to boost revenues. They are mainly there to regulate to a consistency the movement of traffic safely. Montana, you can go WAO and probably not get stopped. That's not to say the person in front of you may be doing his traveling a little more sanely. Road conditions, known or unknown to most drivers in a particular area, will dictate speed limits. One of my helpers drives a motorcycle. He honestly feels speed limits shouldn't apply to them. He refuses to wear a seatbelt in his car. He's made it to 60 years old only by the Grace of God.
I know it is frustrating when your hair is on fire and you feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, but slow down, save fuel, grow old like the rest of us.

Old 02-02-09, 07:35 PM
speeds are set for usually two reasons, one is safety of the public to keep speeds at a safe level for the prevailing road conditions, the other is to regulate the traffic flow as chandler said, any time you nearly rear end some one you are following to close, and night time driving is when you need to slow down as it is very easy to over drive your head lights. very few lights shine far enough to allow you to see road obstructions far enough to stop safely at over 75 miles per hour., by the way chandler the speedlimit in Montana is only 75 now.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 02-02-09, 10:56 PM
Ditto pretty much what's already been said, but wanted to expand on Montana and something..

For a short time Montana did have no posted limits, but that didn't mean you couldn't get a ticket for speeding. In fact, most states have laws on the books that allow for writing a ticket for speeding even if you weren't exceeding the limit.

"Driving too fast for conditions"

Since speed limits are based on ideal conditions, and conditions are never ideal, you can get a ticket pretty much any time.

Old 02-03-09, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Another ditto. You were too close! I don't remember speeds being higher years ago, they were either the same or less.
I'll brake for whatever reason I think necessary, including getting anyone that's tailing me off my back!

Old 02-03-09, 09:09 AM
Nightowlpunk, just be glad you weren't a teenager in the early 70's like I was. Thanks to OPEC's fuel embargos, the great gas shortage of '73 happened, along with the nationwide 55 mph speed limits. For those of us in the rural midwest, that meant slowing down from our accustomed 75-80 MPH speed limits clear down to 55. That was painful! When we finally did get the limits raised back up to 70 MPH, interestingly one thing that didn't return was the 10 MPH speed limit reduction at night.

But yeah, driving at 82 MPH at 3:40 AM at night is downright suicidal! Believe me, I'm not being overly critical, as I'm sure I did such things when I was young, but that was before I stopped to realize the carnage that would happen if my compact car hit a deer at that kind of speed. Not to mention the number of drunk/impaired drivers on the road at that hour of the night. Slow down and get old gracefully along with the rest of us!

Old 02-03-09, 12:35 PM
C'mon beachboy, don't make us delve back into our younger years! In the 60's, gas was a 35 cents a gallon (except during a gas war when it dropped to a quarter). Miles per gallon????? Who cared? It was volume of intake and how much gas you could get down the venturii and still keep the engine running. Supercharged,Ported, blueprinted, full race cams, dual 750 cfm Holley's.(and we were only 16 or 17 years old). You had a $20 bill taped loosely to the dashboard on the passenger side. When you hit the gas, if the passenger could overcome the G's and reach it, he could have it.
Oh my, tears on the keyboard, gotta quit.
We all did stuff that, looking back, we'd kill our kids for thinking about. That's where our admonishment comes from, not being critical.

Old 02-03-09, 01:32 PM
That is when i go to work in the morning and speeding wakes me up a lot better than coffee ever can due to an Excedrin addiction when I was younger and working graveyard shift in gas stations where the coffee was free if you brought your own cup with you. But why would anyone slow down to 10 below the limit. Could have been someone drug running i guess. I did stay under 80 mph for a couple tanks of gas and the difference was a whopping 2mpg gain.

Old 02-03-09, 02:23 PM
Nice! Asleep at the wheel AND driving like a lunatic AND tailgating.........

Old 02-03-09, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Hey...keeps Tow Guy in business...though I don't think he goes on calls that far out...lol.

I shouldn't really talk.....1AM, 120mph on a Yamaha 850 on the Harbor Freeway from San Pedro all the way to Bellflower, after a night out. Never happened before...never since. Sometimes you wake up and just go...WHHHHHOOOOOAHHHHH...wth was I thinking!

Old 02-03-09, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=nightowlpunk;1515715] But why would anyone slow down to 10 below the limit.QUOTE]

Might have been someone like me
While I don't usually run below the speed limit, I'm not about to dry faster than my headlights or my eyes can see - I'm kind of funny that way, like to have plenty of time for my tired reflexes to react

I remember my daddy buying gas for 10 cents a gallon and I've paid under 20 cents.... but that was when the gas wars were fought on the street corners. My first car was a 1963.5 ford galaxie with a 352cid. It never concerned me, how much gas I needed to buy although I was concerned about having tire money for the rear

Old 02-04-09, 12:11 PM
If I see 6 other cars going on the highway on my side of the road during my commute to work, it is a busy morning for a 20 mile drive. I was expecting the other guy to slow down after seeing the trap, but not by that much, since at that time of morning the officer will give you 14 over the limit. I have been passed by officers at that time of morning going 85 mph and they didn't have their lights or sirens on.

Old 02-04-09, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Doesn't matter why or how much he slowed down or even if everyone was driving the same as you. If you would have hit him, it would be your fault in the eyes of the law and insurance company. That excuse would not get you anywhere.

Old 02-04-09, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Don't expect everyone to give the same cushion...times are getting tight. Traffic fines are a big revenue source for cities and towns. The enforcement guys are getting pressured to bring more money in at every chance they get. They hate it, but they may have to do it to keep their jobs and get promoted. Most would rather be arresting real criminals...but thats not always an option.

Again...never expect the other guy to do what you would do.....

Old 02-05-09, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Article in the paper this morning; Florida has raised fines:

10-14 mph over - $191+
15-19 mph over - $241+
19-29 mph over - $266+
School zone over - $366+

Personally I don't think the fine for blowing through a school zone is high enough.

Old 02-05-09, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Hey TG...If they catch you speeding with a tow...is that a ticket for each vehicle? lol

Old 02-05-09, 06:53 AM
I have been told and have the experiences to back it up that cops always ticket and/or blame the vehicle/driver of the car that rear ends another car for the accident regardless of circumstances.The default charge is following too close.I have been in two accidents where I ran into the back of another car.Both situations happened in bad conditions,one in a pop up heavy downpour and one in blinding sunlight.The downpour accident also occured because the car in front stopped at a yellow light just as it turned yellow and the cop knew that.He told me he had to give me the ticket anyway.That got dismissed in court.The sunlight one I just paid the ticket.

Cops always speed.I live close to the headquarters of the Virginia State Police as well as a county police station and encounter cop cars marked and unmarked all the time.They always run at least 10 over.Who's gonna ticket them?Not me.

Old 02-05-09, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Years ago, I was on Illinois Route 66 and the speed limit was "Reasonable and Proper". Doing close to 90 heading for Chicago when a plain wrapper pulled alongside. He paced me for a few seconds, then waved and the last I saw of him was the whip antenna on the back of his Chrysler 300 hemi as he went looking for an unreasonable driver.

Old 02-05-09, 01:11 PM
Ah yes the days of the 440 Interceptor.

I was once,when I was way too young to know better or have the driving skills for it,caught doing 100 in a 55.I was taken down by a state police sargeant in a Police package Plymouth Fury and he took me out like I was doing 35 in a 25.

I was once told by a cop who had climbed the ranks of the RPD (Richmond Va) that they had tested those cars to 160 mph on a dyno for the distance of 200 miles with no break down no problems at all.Cast iron blocks...

We had a local cop actually named Radar Reagan.You can figure out why.He ran a 440 Fury and nobody got away from him.

Old 02-05-09, 02:38 PM
The problem with school zone fines isn't the amount, it's that the cops are never monitoring the zones.

I live on the main entrance road to a high school. This little 1/8th mile or so strip of road is a drag strip.

In the 30 some years I've lived here, I've seen ONE, count it, ONE cop parked monitoring traffic.

Just the mere presence of a marked unit on the side of the road would do wonders.

The kicker? It's mostly the parents and school buses that are speeding, not the kids.

Old 02-05-09, 05:58 PM
"Just the mere presence of a marked unit on the side of the road would do wonders."
We had a crime problem in Athens, GA some time back. Mostly stupid stuff by kids, stealing stereos, etc. So Athens PD posted a marked cruiser in a prominent spot to "deter" some of the stuff going on. I drove by once just to see it sitting there without wheels. Go figure!!

Old 02-05-09, 11:28 PM
School Zones. its a culture thing. Over the last few years the cops have been hitting speeders hard in school zones. Now hardly anyone speeds. One person slows down and everyone else does too. Saved me a bundle.

Old 02-06-09, 03:43 PM
Fine for passing a school bus with red lights flashing in my state :$450. I've been caught in the past at 70 in a double nickel, mailed it in to fight it and the court told me not to show up since they already took care of it.

Old 02-06-09, 04:42 PM
My best speed trap story happened more than twenty years ago in Seattle.

It was one of those where a bunch of smokies get together and decide to write till their wrists give out. One smokie sets up the radar on the far left shoulder at the foot of a hill under an overpass. He then proceeds to radar check everyone at the foot of the hill and then radio one of the others that are pulling them over as fast as they can write the tickets and get back into position for the next one.

As you know, back then radar units locked on to the biggest target and I was in a Fiat Spyder alongside a 2-1/2 ton box van. The truck was going way faster than I (I was about 56mph) and I saw the radar smokie as I went under the overpass and because my exit was coming up I started moving to the right, behind the box van I might add.

Anyway, the chase bear came up with lights and siren. When he asked for my license I asked him if he had personally observed my speed and replied that, "The other officer got you on the radar." I then asked that he include the other officer's name on the ticket at which he pointed out that the other smokie had already signed the ticket.

I figured I had them cold so I went directly to the courthouse (it was a district court about two miles from this point on the freeway) and told the clerk I wanted to protest the ticket and have the two officer's named to be subpoenaed. The shorten the story, the smokie that pulled me over showed up in court but the radar smokie didn't. When I asked why he wasn't in court, pointing out that he had been subpoenaed the judge asked the prosecutor if that was true and when the prosecutor answered yes the judge roared, "WHERE IS HE?!" The first smokie answered, "It's his day off." The judge again roared, saying, "CASE DISMISSED!" I thanked the judge and left the courtroom.

I'll bet that's one cop that will never again ignore a subpoena but in a way I wish that he had been there. I was prepared to state the radar cop perjured himself by signing the blank tickets and the ticketing cop had accepted hearsay evidence in writing the ticket. I still would like to know what the judge would have said.

Old 02-06-09, 08:21 PM
I hate tailgaters and encounter them on a daily basis along I-95 in PA.

Conviction of a Tailgating offense is a 6 point violation against your license.......more than blowing a Red Light!

Why would anybody want to follow on another cars bumper at 3:00am on an empty roadway?

P.S. I do remember seeing MPH signs for 70 when I was a kid in the early '70's.

Old 02-09-09, 02:16 PM
Once on I-84 on the NY-CT border I saw 20 cruisers on the shoulder for a major trap.

The weirdest one I ever got was on Rte 10 N Massachusettes near the New Hampshire border when I was on my way to pick my brother up from Keene State College for the weekend. Four cruisers were on me like white on rice. I got nailed for 70 in a double nickel, passing in a no passing zone, a bald front tire and a damaged license plate (last letter taken off by someone for the sticker). After they were talking for 1/2 an hour and it got knocked down to a damaged license plate ticket for $35.

Old 02-25-09, 09:38 PM
If you almost rear ended some one you are following to close.
I have had experience with many a speed trap, the worst, most blatant ones being in OK, TX, and OH.

I did 1.3 million miles in a tractor trailer in 8 yrs. ( way illegal, ) before I had an accident. Had my license suspended once, to many speeding tickets, 4 OH, 1 GA, 1 AR, 1 NY, 1 CA, 2 OK. $600 and a lawyer fixed that in a week.

Most people do not fully comprehend how to drive a vehicle safely.

"is there any reason for lower speed limits than back then other than to raise state and town revenue? "
Yes, It is to keep the stupid people alive. The government has to keep it's tax base.
Chances are if a person thinks they know how to drive and finds fault with everyone else's driving, they probably don't know how to drive.