Cell phone owners BEWARE

Old 02-06-09, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation Cell phone owners BEWARE

If you happen to own a cell phone, there is something important that you should know. Telemarketers now have access to cell phone numbers which means they can call you and WASTE your minutes with their spiels. In order to stop this use your cell phone to call the NATIONAL DO NOT CALL list at 1-888-382-1222. This will protect your number from telemarketers for 5 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-09, 06:01 PM
Nope. Your post has been busted by Snopes.

snopes.com: Cell Phone Numbers Given to Telemarketers

Old 02-07-09, 04:34 AM
I have received a couple of telemarketing calls on my cell phone but I can't say where the telemarketer may have gotten the number. I do know that I have read an several different occasions about the cell phone directory and it being made available to telemarketers.

A couple of things in Nightowl's post do stand out though, the necessity of calling from your cell phone and the imminent deadline. I registered my landline and my cell by going to the National Do Not Call website. https://www.donotcall.gov/ I was able to register both my landline and my cell without making a phone call and yes, within 31 days of doing so I have stopped receiving the solicitation calls that are banned by the list.

Old 02-07-09, 10:24 AM
Got an email from a friend about it a few days ago. Went to a Verizon store to pay my cell bill and was told this was false. Sorry to cause a panic.

Old 02-07-09, 07:37 PM
You mean I threw my cell phone away for nothen!!!

Now I need to get one without a number. That will show them tela-marketers!!Beer 4U2

Old 02-07-09, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
If it sounds like something debunked by Snopes it probably is and I was ready to check Snopes just reading the title. Almost all dire warnings on the Internet are false.

Old 02-08-09, 04:15 AM
Ray, I agree. If you get an email predicting anything just short of the end of the world, it probably isn't true. Bill Gates isn't going to give you $5000 out of the kindness of his heart because you forward an email. In actuality most emails asking you to forward them (and threatening you with total demise if you don't) are collectors of email addresses.
I registered our home phone and cell phones a long time ago, and we get minimal calls. But I forgot about our weekend rental cabin. I went up there one day and there were probably 30 messages on it. Some were political and some were offering to help me with monetary issues. I registered the phone number and all the calls stopped the next day!!! Wow, I couldn't believe it.
I still think it is conveniently politically self serving for our legislators to pass such legislation and exempt themselves.