Wouldn't it be interesting to find out...

Old 02-11-09, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wouldn't it be interesting to find out...

Wouoldn't it be interesting to find out what percentage of a President's votes were really votes against their opponent?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's rare to find a political canidate that is exactly what you want. There is always a compromise to some degree. When there isn't a clear cut choice you pick the lesser of the evils

Old 02-12-09, 02:21 PM
I was actually wondering how many of Obama's votes were against McCain due to the fact a lot of Republicans I know didn't like him.

Old 02-12-09, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I voted for McCain but that just reinforces my earlier statement. IMO there weren't any real good picks in the primary and even less in the presidential election.

Old 02-12-09, 10:37 PM
Which reinforces my thinking that if we keep doing what we've always done (vote Dem/Rep) we'll keep getting what we've always gotten (grammar?).

What say we give one of the other parties - Libertarian, Constitution, Green, etc. - a chance at governing.

Old 02-13-09, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem with 3rd parties is they haven't had a viable canidate with a realistic chance in a long time. Ross Perot may have had a shot but he sunk his own ship.

Old 02-13-09, 07:18 AM
What is a "viable candidate"?

I believe 3rd parties don't have a realistic chance because we, the voters, don't give them a chance. Joe Average doesn't realize how much power his vote has. If we could get 75% of eligible voters to the polls, tell me we wouldn't see some changes.

Old 02-13-09, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
I have always thought political parties should be bared from participating in the presidential elections and the Electoral College eliminated. Instead you would have a series of run-off elections 30 days apart that anyone meeting presidential requirements of age and citizenship could be able to run in. Only requirement would be a partition signed by a certain number of people. Let that number be perhaps 5% or 10% of the people who voted in the previous election but the actual signatory could be any US citizen. Limit spending on political advertising to a very small amount.

Of course none of that will happen but would be a lot more fair in my humble opinion.

More in the real world lets get rid of the Electoral College. It is absurd to have a democratic country where the candidate with the most votes doesn't always become president.

Old 02-13-09, 03:15 PM
Got a T- shirt which might be appreciated.

Democrats want the government to solve all their problems.

Republicans want to legislate morality.

I just want to be left alone by the government. I'm a Libertarian.