How would YOU have put up the house numbers?

Old 02-19-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How would YOU have put up the house numbers?

Today I had to put up a couple real fancy house number plaques on duplex. The existing numbers were those chincy peal and stick numbers, pasted on the vinyl siding, under the coach lamps, that are at the front-facing garage wall. The duplex really in question, is the left one. (The right one has more of a wider vinyl section and the light is not anywhere near centered.) Someone never perfectly centered that light in the 16 inch wide vinyl sided area. It is about 1 inch off center, making it so about 7 inches of vinyl is to the left outside corner, and 9 inches is towards the garage door's brick mould/J-channel.

These coach lamps have a tailpiece that hangs down about 6 inches from the lanterns.

Would YOU center the house number plaque (that have the numbers on it perfectly centered within the plaque), in the middle of the 16 inches of siding, and disregard that that light tail that sits directly above the plaque by just a couple inches, is now off center? Or, would you disregard centering the plaque within the siding, and instead center the plaque so the top center arch of the plaque is directly below that lanterns tail that hangs down?

I'll tell you how I did it after I get some responses. I don't know if I chose the right way, and am wondering if when the landlord drives by, if he says he would have done it the other way.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 05:53 PM
If the only location was on that wall section, I would have centered them with the light tail. I would have chosen a different location all together if it were possible, say on the fascia. Or vertically beside the long side of the lamp....yeah, that's it. Remember, I know how your mind works.

Old 02-20-09, 10:10 AM
Not entirely related to this post, but ya'll might find it amusing. There are 6 houses on the even numbered side of my street and I think 8 on the odd due to a back lot. The numbers for the evens used to be 2-12, now it goes 2,10, 16 and somehow ends up at 68. These are single house lots, how you can fit more houses in without violating every zoning law in the book would be harder to explain than the current whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa. The town says the Federal Government did this. The Postal Service claims the town did this.

Old 02-20-09, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
If the only location was on that wall section, I would have centered them with the light tail. I would have chosen a different location all together if it were possible, say on the fascia.
I haven't seen too many house numbers up there. Old people are in the neighborhood, and may disjoint their neck if they look up.

Or vertically beside the long side of the lamp....yeah, that's it.
That would have been possible. But not as fancy-shmancy as that nickle-like trimmmed ornamental plaque.

Remember, I know how your mind works.
You'd be creepin' me out, if I chose the way YOU chose. I will let you all know what I did when more people who aren't afraid to commit (as apparently as many viewers have been), answer my question.

Old 02-20-09, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Not entirely related to this post, but ya'll might find it amusing. There are 6 houses on the even numbered side of my street and I think 8 on the odd due to a back lot. The numbers for the evens used to be 2-12, now it goes 2,10, 16 and somehow ends up at 68. These are single house lots, how you can fit more houses in without violating every zoning law in the book would be harder to explain than the current whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa. The town says the Federal Government did this. The Postal Service claims the town did this.
I wonder if anybody here knows exactly why house numbers get spaced the way they do. I have wondered that myself, when you know more houses can't fit in between, why not 1,3,5,7, etc., and 2,4,6,8, etc.

Old 02-21-09, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Had a customer whose house was built at the beginning of the first block of a street after all the low numbers including 0 were assigned so they gave just that house its own block number.

Did delivery for several years and seen some totally unexplainable numbers. I always guessed the really weird ones came from some temp employee at the electric company. Yes, I said the electric company. Don't know exactly how a privately owned company instead of the city ended up with the job but that is how it is. You call the electric company for a temporary hookup and they tell you the new street number.

Old 02-21-09, 04:55 PM
Where I grew up (Fremont district in Seattle) the numbers on our block seemed to have no rhyme or reason. Until, that is, you looked at how the lots were platted. The "standard" city lot was 50 feet frontage and 100 feet deep but many of the lots on "our" street were quite different. On the other side of the street about one house down there was a 50 foot lot, a 40 foot lot, then the next was a 60 foot lot, and then a 50 foot corner lot. On our side from the corner down there were 3, 30 foot lots but the corner lot was more than 50 feet deep. After these 3 30 foot lots was out house on a 50 foot lot and then an old rooming house that may have been either a 50 or 60 foot lot with the next house ( a Sears "kit" house) being on a 40 foot lot.

Our house number was 3660 but the water bill had an address of 3658 which otherwise didn't exist. Either my mother or daddy told me that they had tried to correct that address but the city said the address was correct. Funny thing was the water meter was directly in front of the front porch and the house number.

Old 02-21-09, 06:35 PM
We have a mountain subdivision (rather uppity place to be honest), and you can't go by house numbers. As you start up the mountain, the first house is 1185, next 1058, next across the street 1212. The house I last worked on is about 10 houses up, 1095. I don't know how delivery people can make sense of it. And my GPS won't recognize the number part of a search, only the street name.
Go figure.
C'mon, someone make a guess on Ec's number thingy. I'm curious, but I've already used up my guesses.

Old 02-21-09, 09:05 PM
It doesn't matter how or where he places the numbers, it's wrong. Ask ten different women and you'll get ten different answers.

Old 02-22-09, 04:22 AM
You bet!!! Framing, outside stuff you can do yourself. Fine work or goofy stuff, you'd better have the woman of the house present. Sorry, Twelvepole, it just came out!

Old 02-22-09, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You bet!!! Framing, outside stuff you can do yourself. Fine work or goofy stuff, you'd better have the woman of the house present. Sorry, Twelvepole, it just came out!
Learned the hard way asking a woman customer what height she wanted a shelf was fraught with peril. They think in relatives not absolutes. "Oh about hand hight will be fine".

Apologies to the ladies but I think it is a brain wiring thing.

Old 02-22-09, 01:12 PM
Relative until you get it installed. Then absolute kicks in. "Can you move it up an inch?". And it's not "wiring", but a printed circuit board without resistors. Ooops, did it again!

Old 02-22-09, 01:34 PM
As I understand it (at least now days), for a place to be considered as a livable plot, it has to have access to utilities (whether it gets them or not, they have to be available).

Since electric is about the only thing you can't supply yourself within reason, I can see why it's the electric company that would assign new house numbers.

What logic they use to assign them is anyone's guess.

Old 02-22-09, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
It doesn't matter how or where he places the numbers, it's wrong. Ask ten different women and you'll get ten different answers.
And when even I stood back and looked at it, I said to myself, 'Hmmmm....I don't know about that. NOW I did it. I screwed it there..... and now if I'm told to move it, the one screw hole will be exposed.'

Old 02-22-09, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Learned the hard way asking a woman customer what height she wanted a shelf was fraught with peril. They think in relatives not absolutes. "Oh about hand hight will be fine".

Apologies to the ladies but I think it is a brain wiring thing.
I just went thru that with a woman director of a facility I do some work at. There I am holding 2 different bulletin boards next to each other, at different heights, and turning them horizontal and vertical, while she stood back, stared, assisted me to move one over an inch, went back and stared some more, etc., and decided on one vertical and the other horizontal...of course also at just the right locations. Lucky for me she was there.

Old 02-22-09, 07:53 PM
I've been meaning to post a picture of the numbers on my house but it's either been too cold (not really) or I've been feeling too crappy to go take the pictures.

The original numbers on my house were fairly small and non-contrasting. They were mounted on a trim board to the left of my garage door in a vertical line. Once the trees near that corner grew out it was difficult to see the numbers from the street even in the daytime.

I got some larger numbers, black with silver outlining, and put them up the same way (vertical) in the trim board on the right side of the garage door. There are no trees on this side so they are readily visible from the street. I was hoping the light from the small coach lantern adjacent would illuminate them sufficiently at night but it is far from what I would really desire.

I thought about mounting them on their own board above the garage door but then I would have had to install some kind of light up there for nighttime illumination. I have a small florescent that would work IF it will work in winter temperatures, something I've never tested. Of course it would require even more work to install the light and I'm getting too lazy in my old age.

A few months ago I bought some four-inch stencils at Harbor Freight. My plan is to paint the numbers on the entrance of my driveway if a stretch of good weather and good health coincides someday. Six or eight inch numbers would have been preferable but I was too cheap to spend that much money.

Old 02-23-09, 05:44 PM
Furd, we had a Boy Scout troop that painted bricks a phosphorescent green, then stenciled your house number in a glowing paint. They sold them for $15. It really helped the neighborhoods comply with E911 requirements. You could see the brick for a mile it seemed. The money went for a good cause.

Old 02-24-09, 11:15 AM
When I first moved to this house there was some charitable group (it wasn't the scouts) that would do something similar every spring. I think they charged something like $20 or $25 to paint a black square on the end of the driveway and then paint the numbers in white. They had it down to a science because after a year the numbers had pretty much faded or worn away. I thought the cost was a bit high for the results and never had it done. I haven't heard anything about this being offered for some years.

One of my neighbors installed a lighted house number right near our property line. It has a weak LED internal light source along with a solar-recharged battery. It is (or was) barely readable just before dawn. It's now lying on its back because I think someone visiting has hit it a few times while parking.

I'm thinking of making a lighted number box and installing it right next to my driveway entrance. I can run low-voltage landscape lighting wire from the garage easily.

Search this Thread