Are speeding tickets fines unfair?

Old 02-21-09, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are speeding tickets fines unfair?

I haven't had one in over 20 years. So I am wondering if any changes were made, since that time, regarding how much they charge for fines and if the system is fair.

If someone goes 6 mph over in a 55, let's say, and he does not get stopped, but someone who goes 7 mph gets stopped, I do not believe it is fair that that person say would have to pay $139.

IMO, since the speed LIMIT says 55, that should be the limit. And for every mph over that, the fine should be incremental starting with 1 mph over, so that for each mph over, a person has to pay say $15. That way, you really can't gripe too much when you speed, that you were somehow singled out and that others who also are going fast get off scottfree, while you might have to shell out 1/2 of your paycheck.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Actually..last time I had one, it was like that. Something like $3 per mile over (don't ask me how they arrived at that) up to 10-15 over...plus costs and fees...which was the same for all. At 10 -15 they tacked on $50 or 100...and at 20 over it became reckless driving... which was a whole nuther story. Bigger fines and more points.

And yeah, mine was prob 20 yrs ago too. Surprising how we seem to slow down some as we age.

Old 02-21-09, 01:02 PM
not sure what the costs are any more but in most areas they are raising the fines because most drivers just don't care if the fine is under $200 to $300, they just pay them and go on. Me that hurts the pocket enough that I say slow down now. However I use the cruise a lot an that way don't get the urge to speed much.
currently I am driving about 200 miles a day avarage per day for work. and have over 500K miles with out a accident and over 14 years with out a ticket.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 02-21-09, 05:07 PM
Pretty much the same with me, I think the last speeding ticket I received was more than twenty years ago. I got out of that ticket (see the thread on speed traps) and while I did get a ticket for running a red light (I didn't but it was the cop's word against mine so I just paid it) maybe 15 to 18 years ago nothing since then. Now that I'm retired I drive less that 4,000 miles a year.

As for the fines, I know they have changed the schedule in the last few years but it used to be just as GunGuy described, so much for every mph over the limit up to a certain speed then they upped the per mph to another bracket and so on. Here in Washington state the "negligent driving" ticket was the one they gave the most because no one could accurately define what was negligent.

Old 02-21-09, 05:13 PM
The court system used to love me back in the day. I had the great opportunity of getting two speading tickets in one day...

I was getting nasty grams from the motor vehicle department saying if I got one more moving citation, they were going to take my license.

It's when you start getting in the 10+mph over the limit when it gets real expensive. I was caught going 134mph in a 65mph in Va. The State Trooper said he had a hard time catching up. He was nice enough to write the ticket for 79mph so I don't get a recklass driving, but costed me a few hundred, counting court costs.

Those days are long gone now..

Old 02-21-09, 05:52 PM
I had three in two days back in '74. Each time I was probably going about 80 on the 55 mph freeway. The Washington smokey wrote me for 70 but the CHP's were pretty decent, one for 59 and the other for 57. The second CHP told me he didn't like the 55 speed limit either but suggested that I not make myself so obvious by passing everyone else in the left lane.

Yeah, when I got home there was a letter from the WSP or licensing department telling me if I got one more moving violation I would have to go to traffic school. My insurance company also refused to renew my policy.

Old 02-21-09, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, Mark..I need confirmation...what kind of car and what engine....don'tfib..we'll know.

Old 02-21-09, 06:09 PM
the good thing is all of the times that I exceeded 100 mph never got stopped except the time the cop had no radar and so only clocked me after I slowed down to 55. of course traffic is a lot heavier now so that would not be very safe either. herd a rumor that ok was going to raise fines for speeding in a counstruction zone to 1K and if a worker was injured 5K. but haven't checked it out to be for sure.

speed costs money how fast can you afford to go?

Old 02-21-09, 09:13 PM
The next day (after receiving the aforementioned tickets from the California Highway Patrol) I was on that stretch of highway from Barstow to Needles or maybe past Needles (it was 35 years ago, fer chrissakes) I was going neck-and-neck with a Datsun 240Z. I had a Fiat 124 Spyder with an 1800cc engine. My speedo was reading around 110 and neither of us could get away from the other. After about ten minutes of this I realized if they caught me they would lock me up and toss the key.

That was the last time I drove above 80 or so.

And yeah, speed DOES cost money. It isn't that one-time fine that hurts but the HUGE increase in insurance premiums that lasts for years.

Old 02-21-09, 10:19 PM
Ya guys are not alone in the States I allready got speeding ticket in France before that time i was going 150 KMH { about 95 MPH } with my diesel pick up truck running at full throttle all I did get a warning is for smoke that all as for speeding they told me get correct speedo on the truck that all due I have Americian truck in France.

However get into Autobahn { Germany super interstate } that diffrent story if the traffic is light there is no speed limit but when the traffic get hevey or bad weather the speed limit will pop up by using lited dispay with number of KM/H { useally 80,100 and 120 } yeah we get super fast porsche , BMW , Benz , yeah few crazy cars from Italily Lamgombi { sp } they will blow by my door near 250 KMH[150MPH]

Merci,Marc

Old 02-22-09, 09:59 AM
In case you are curious in CT 82 in a 65 costs $254, officer knocked it down to violating a State Traffic Comission sign (no clue what that means) for $75 with no speed mentioned on the ticket. I did pay the fine, be interesting to see what happens to my insurance when it renews next month since it didn't go up for a ticket that I fought and got knocked down by 1/2 a year or two ago. I just can't drive 65 sung to the song I can't drive 55 by Sammy Hagar, just updated. Saw the Modern Marvels about the AUtobahn and saw something I would love to see here (not the unlimited speed limit lol). I would love to see ticket price based on the viloator's income.

Old 02-22-09, 02:19 PM
RCMP stopped me doing 114km/hour in a 100k zone. I said I thought they gave 15k/hour leeway. He said they do but not this time. I told him I don't think he should be giving me a ticket. He said I could take it to court but I would look pretty stupid becasue I needed to admit I was speeding to make my point. Couldn't argue with him. They have let me go many times so can't complain.

Old 02-22-09, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

And yeah, mine was prob 20 yrs ago too. Surprising how we seem to slow down some as we age.
I'm from the 70 day/65 night era. Going 75 was fun. Now I am horrified at that speed! It feels like you might actually die if you ran into a tree at that speed. Back then I did not think so.

Old 02-22-09, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
"negligent driving" ticket was the one they gave the most because no one could accurately define what was negligent.
Like -if you have say a hot rod, and smile to yourself that you are not going to speed and get a ticket, so instead you zip from 0-55 in 3 seconds flat? Or do that between stop and go lights? I guerss "reckless driving" may7 be a better term?

Yesterday, while on a divided 4 lane highway, the girl in the lane along side me was reading a letter as she drove. She had it resting on her steering wheel.

Old 02-22-09, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
My insurance company also refused to renew my policy.
I presume you got some other carrier at some ridiculous rate, eh?

Old 02-22-09, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
I would love to see ticket price based on the viloator's income.
As the judge says to the man with no job, with an obviously identifiable income - "Now you wouldn't be havin one of those there Swiss bank accounts now somewheres, wouldja?"

Old 02-23-09, 11:18 AM
I would show the judge a recent pay stub and ask how he thought I could afford to go to another country to open such an account. On that Modern Marvels I watched I heard that a guy got nailed for the German equivalent of $20,000 for flipping someone the bird.

Old 02-23-09, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ok, Mark..I need confirmation...what kind of car and what engine....don'tfib..we'll know.
Just a 97 Stang GT.....................

Old 02-23-09, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
@ Mark ...OK..i'll believe you...for now. lol

Old 02-23-09, 04:26 PM
No reason to lie. I usually archive all my past tickets, so I will try and find it. Granted, this happened over 10 years ago.

I miss that Stang sometimes. It got totaled when I was pulling out of a car wash. Dang guy was driving a early 90's Thunderbird, he got a small dent, I had no front end.....bah.

Old 02-24-09, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Like -if you have say a hot rod, and smile to yourself that you are not going to speed and get a ticket, so instead you zip from 0-55 in 3 seconds flat? Or do that between stop and go lights? I guerss "reckless driving" may7 be a better term?

Yesterday, while on a divided 4 lane highway, the girl in the lane along side me was reading a letter as she drove. She had it resting on her steering wheel.
The kind of car a person drives most definitely matters! My Fiat Spyder was definitely a cop magnet. Once I switched to "old woman" cars (I now drive a Toyota Camry) I got much less police attention.

I presume you got some other carrier at some ridiculous rate, eh?
Yeah, some ridiculous rate. It was maybe a year or two later this second insurance company also refused to renew but according to the agent the company was just refusing to write coverage on any sports car and it had nothing to do with my record. I went "naked" for several years with no problems and then signed with an agent recommended by my brother's wife. That was okay until my wife was involved with hit-and-run. We had a devil of a time with that company because they decided to drop the agent due to some shenanigans he had pulled. We tried to go through a different agent representing the same company but then the company refused to write a policy for us. We then switched to a company headquartered in Seattle (no, not Safeco) and I've been with them ever since. Because I also insure my home through this company and have a personal liability umbrella policy my entire insurance costs are a bit on the low side, all things considered.

Old 02-24-09, 11:29 AM
I have never been nailed for this but it made me wonder... How can it be reckess driving if you are the only car on the road and are staying in one lane. In my state 85 mph (why) is considered reckless driving. I think it should only apply if you are going that fast AND cannot avoid swerving between lanes like a drunk monkey.

Old 02-24-09, 12:33 PM
Your state's driving statutes or code should have a definition of what constitutes reckless driving. It may include driving at some specified speed above the posted limit regardless of any other hazards.

In Washington the term negligent driving is defined (paraphrased, it's been a long time since I read the actual definition) as driving in a manner that is considered to be potentially dangerous to the driver or anyone in the area. The problem is that it gives the cop tremendous latitude in defining what "potentially dangerous" might be. Driving five miles an hour on glare ice could warrant a ticket for negligent driving.

Here is a site that describes Negligent Driving in the First degree and also the Second Degree in Washington state.

Speeding Ticket - WA Negligent Driving Laws. Washington State Negligent Driving Ticket Laws: First Degree and Second Degree. Attorneys for Seattle, Everett, Tacoma.

As you can see, the burden of proof is on the Defendant rather than the prosecution and the way the statute is worded there is almost no way that a defendant can prove his/her actions were those of "a reasonably careful person under the same or similar circumstances".

Here's a site that states exceeding the speed limit is prima facie evidence of reckless driving. RCW 46.61.465: Exceeding speed limit evidence of reckless driving.

See also, RCW 46.61.500: Reckless driving ? Penalty.

Last edited by Furd; 02-24-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
I have never been nailed for this but it made me wonder... How can it be reckess driving if you are the only car on the road and are staying in one lane. In my state 85 mph (why) is considered reckless driving. I think it should only apply if you are going that fast AND cannot avoid swerving between lanes like a drunk monkey.
Because someone might get maimed or die. Might. But our laws are written with "might" in mind since we can't glue people back together again, after the fact, like Humpty Dumpty. Many of the costs we are incur, both out of the pocket book and in laws for our own good, are based on the fact we MIGHT die or hurt/kill others. Hospital costs are thru the roof and many are uninsured. And even if they are insured, accidents cause the rates to go up for everyone.

Dying, and simply the possiblity it could happen, is costing us LOTS of money -and freedom.

Old 02-25-09, 09:21 AM
I wonder how much hurt would be put on the local coffers if by some miracle, everyone suddenly became a safe and lawful driver? No more speeding, DWI, reckless driving tickets. Yes, the highways would be a safer place, no argument there, but I have a feeling no more income from traffic fines would put a serious dent in some jurisdiction's financial bottom line (especially some notorious small towns!).

Old 02-25-09, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Absolutely correct BB. Then they'd start increasing the registration and inspection fees, city sales taxes, property taxes, permit fee's...etc etc etc. And the city residents would recall everyone at the next election.

They like the traffic fines because only "criminals" are paying it. The folks that never get tickets could care less how many travelers are busted on that 3 mile strip of highway thats inside the city limits. "Well, if they hadn't been breaking the law, they wouldn't have to pay the fines".

Old 02-25-09, 09:35 AM
Reckless driving should more be enforced on people who drive in the left lane going at or under the speed limit and not passing anyone. Something along the lines of a $10,000 fine and a lifetime revocation of license and 2 years in jail (if only that kind of stupidity could result in jail time). I mean when a loaded semi-trailer passes you on the right going uphill, will Vanna sell those people a clue?