one-post wonders

Old 02-21-09, 09:24 PM
one-post wonders

Here's another gripe concerning one-post wonders.

I've recently written several replies to first time posters that ask what I consider to be serious questions. I know that many people have limited Internet access, either break time at their employer or maybe only access from a public library but I would think that if they were sincere about asking advice (and why wouldn't they be after registering and having to think up a screen name) the least they could do is return in a couple of days to answer any additional questions or to say, "Thank you, but your response doesn't help" or something but most never return.

I often hesitate to offer any response to anyone that is a first-time poster but in the end I usually do because I think it will be different this time.

I just don't get it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 10:42 PM
It happens to me all the time. I haven't been here all that long, but I have seen quit a few of the one posters.

It kinda bothered me at first.
Now I look at it a little different. Someone will post a question, and never come back..Ok, that's fine. Someone else may have the same question or problem.

When they do a search(if they do a search) They will find that one question that we took the time to answer.
So now I answer all I can, hopping they come back to let us know how things turn out, but if they don't...It may help someone else...

Beer 4U2
But thats me.

Travis

Old 02-22-09, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many people do you run across in everyday life that fail to say thank you?

While it's always nice to hear a thank you or an aknowledgement of your attemp to help - I wouldn't loose any sleep over those who fail to do so

..... and as Travis said, your answer might help the next guy with a similiar problem

Old 02-22-09, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But doesn't it make you feel good to have those come back and say "thanks" in capital letters. I just gloss over the others and appreciate the fact we actually do help some people. It is frustrating, though, knowing some people may be getting into a dangerous or costly situation needlessly and they stay gone. Makes you wonder.

Old 02-22-09, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I just don't get it.
They want an answer right that second, I've assumed. And if they don't get one, I'm sure they are logging into every forum known to man, in hopes of getting one.

Old 02-22-09, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
What's scary is some of the first time posters in the electrical forum who have already started and created a dangerous situation but when you post a reply you never hear back. You wonder did they correct the problem or ignore what you said.

Old 02-22-09, 06:50 PM
ya know its funny I found this forum googling home repair nightmares and lurked for several weeks before joining, I see the one hit wonders all of the time and like wwd I try to answer so that others can learn from my mistakes/school of hard knocks, training what have you. I do appreciate the guys who are regulars and often think of the time and effort you guys put into answering and even being responsive to the posters. My thought is good show guys and lets just keep do what we can do and don't sweat the one hitters.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 02-22-09, 07:36 PM
All good responses and I agree with most. As for how many people thank me for anything, no matter how trivial, I may do for them in person the answer is almost everyone I come in contact with in the real world.

Maybe it's just the cyber world that has a large contingent of people that think all they need to do is ask and anyone (and everyone) that has a clue to the problem must instantly respond without ever even thinking about being thanked for their time or advice.

And I do really enjoy it when a poster responds with gratitude, it does really make my efforts seem worthwhile.

As for people wanting a response right that second, or one in favor of what they are doing (no matter how dangerous) I often wonder what they would be doing if there was no Internet forums.

Thanks, guys. Beer 4U2

Old 02-23-09, 04:05 PM
Actually, I'm betting the posters forget where they posted the question. They are trolling the net looking for forums to ask their question in, and they forget.

I think the thread should be automatically "subscribed" too for the OP so they get an email when someone replies.

Old 02-23-09, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
What's scary is some of the first time posters in the electrical forum who have already started and created a dangerous situation but when you post a reply you never hear back. You wonder did they correct the problem or ignore what you said.
Or ---------------------

Old 02-23-09, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
As for people wanting a response right that second, or one in favor of what they are doing (no matter how dangerous) I often wonder what they would be doing if there was no Internet forums.
And in the real world, you get people who want a service man at their door within the hour. I have told such people already that if they think it was bad how *I* responded, like coming in 4 hours, that I have heard the ladies at the applaince repair shop tell potential customers that they can't get anybody (they got about a 5-man crew) out to their house for about 5 DAYS! So then I tell that antsy person that they should feel blessed that I showed up the same day.

Old 02-23-09, 11:58 PM
Though I haven't been on this forum long, I've been answering questions for people for years. I prefer to take a more philosophical approach to helping people. You give your advice, but you can't make people take it. If they take it, their world's a better place; if not, c'est la vie.

The only thing you're responsible for is giving good advice as you see it, sharing your experience. If you've done that, you've done your job. I don't let people's ill manners or lack of follow up, or whatever, get to me. I don't allow them to rent space in my head. As the truism goes, "You can't control what happens to you, only how you react to what happens to you."

Old 02-24-09, 03:07 PM
Rock,

Very philosophical. But there is one problem. Everybody's time is worth something. We who post advice here at least would like some satisfaction in knowing that to whom we are giving advice to is actually being read by that person. Otherwise the end result in no more than one know-it-all showing the other know-it-alls, on the board, that they know what they are talking about, rather than helping the person who requested help.

Old 02-25-09, 07:23 AM
Your time IS worth something. And you choose to use some of it by disseminating valuable information; a commendable choice. I would bet if you didn't think it was helping someone you wouldn't do it.

I know a lot of people who feel their efforts need to be validated by recognition everytime they do something for someone. I don't feel that way. For instance, one of my jobs is as a bartender. Been doing it for years. There are servers who will thank me for every drink I make for them. It kind of irritates me because I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. It's why I was hired. Them thanking me, to me, seems like they feel me doing my job is something special, like it's something I can't usually handle, but this time I went above and beyond.

Getting back to advice, I know the advice I give is sound because physics is pretty much unchanging. What happened in a certain situation w/ certain circumstances is going to happen again in the same situation. I know this. And I know that someone can get some use from this knowledge.

In the "one-post wonder" world, I just have to accept that the person who originally asked the question made it back to read my answer, or found a suitable answer elsewhere and was able to get done what he needed to get done. Besides, he may have had something happen that kept him from replying. Everyone's life is different, and things happen.

What I'm saying is, my job is to put out useful info. You don't have to thank me for doing my job.

Old 02-25-09, 08:27 AM
The person who writes a post and asks a question is not the only person who reads the question and answer.I approach this site with the thought that the info I might pass along to a poster is read by many therefore helping out many whether the original person reads the answer or acknowledges the answer.

Old 02-25-09, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and the ones who do post a 'thank you' it just makes them stand out a little more

Old 05-04-09, 06:57 AM
I see after reading questions from first time posters this morning, that even the moderators must be apprehensive and may only give 1 or 2 line responses.

I can't see why it would be out of line to make rule #1 in the forum that anyone starting a thread has to make at least one follow up post, or not be allowed to post any more requests until doing so. It does not need to be a thankyou. Simply some sort of acknowlegement to their own thread they started.

I have not actually kept track, but it seems like 70% of first time posters never do a follow up.

Old 05-04-09, 07:14 AM
Is this really important enough to have to police?

Old 05-04-09, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Rock Stone View Post
Is this really important enough to have to police?
Not unless you have 5,000 posts and 75 trillion hours of post time went to people who never responded.

Old 05-04-09, 04:49 PM
Usually the posters don't give enough information to start with, so we will end up responding back to them asking more questions. If they don't respond back, then we didn't waste too much time.

Old 05-04-09, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Usually the posters don't give enough information to start with, so we will end up responding back to them asking more questions. If they don't respond back, then we didn't waste too much time.
But I've seen posts that touch on subjects where there is a long running but polite disagreement between the pros on the best procedure. The discussion of pros and cons results in a long thread but you never see another post from the original poster. I wonder sometimes if we don't scare them off or so confuse them they give up.

Old 05-05-09, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
But I've seen posts that touch on subjects where there is a long running but polite disagreement between the pros on the best procedure. The discussion of pros and cons results in a long thread but you never see another post from the original poster. I wonder sometimes if we don't scare them off or so confuse them they give up.
I sort of doubt it. I think the OP disappeared long ago, and what the thread evolves into is know-it-all A showing know-it-all B, and know-it-all C that they know a thing or two about what is being discussed.

But that's okay too, IMO, because anyone following that thread may learn something.

If the poster feels confused over some of the perhaps contradictory responses, or the flood of info, the inquisitor could PM the person he/she thinks seems the most knowledgeable, and/'or continue asking questions.

Old 05-05-09, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
And this is probably the best way to handle it, I guess.