Applaud/Smite members

Old 03-02-09, 10:46 AM
Applaud/Smite members

On other forums I am a member of, they have ability to applaud/smite members. Some of them disable smite, so you can only applaud or give them reps for helping you, which also encourages that member to help others in order to increase their rep count.

Did you think about this, (I am sure you did) but why did you end up disabling that built in functionality of vBulletin Board?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Probably because it becomes some sort of ego thing when that happens. The originator of this board (mostly gone, but I've seen a few of his posts in the past) started it as a purely altruistic attempt to pass on knowledge from experts to DIY'ers (at least thats what I believe). He has since moved on to other projects/interests (I think an Internet Hardware site).

The regular posters/Mods know who is and is not an expert and who deserves praise. Smites are administered very simply...you go away/are banned...lol

Old 03-02-09, 11:09 AM
I know, but it can really help new members (like me) when we are reading some suggestions, etc if we saw members with reps. If the reps are closely monitored or allowed to be given in certain way, you could also avoid rep spams/exchanges as well.

Old 03-02-09, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
I understand what you mean.. the who do you trust thing...right? Well, the best way is just go by number of posts and join date. The people that don't know WTH they are talking about won't be around long. And others are pretty quick to correct any misinformation. Of course that doesn't mean that a new person isn't a Pro. I trust people more that actually fill out the complete profile with some background info.

Though it may not have the features of some sites, I don't think there will be any drastic changes anytime soon.

Old 03-02-09, 11:56 AM
No problem It was just a suggestion.

Old 03-02-09, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
And I wasn't being the "Voice of the Net Gods"...just my opinion and observations. Like you said..No problem/No worries Mate!

Old 03-02-09, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That 'feature' will never happen here.

Like already mentioned, that's more of a ego thing. Why would a member ignore suggestions from someone just because they don't have 'e-reps'?

If someone gives erroneous or dangerous information, we remove the posts.