FOREVER postal stamps

Old 03-03-09, 11:52 AM
FOREVER postal stamps

Hello
On may 11th, I believe the regular stamp goes from 42 to 44cents. I have some Forever Stamps and don't see an advantage to getting more of them unless you use a great deal of stamps. Each year the adjustment rate is considered on May 11th.
When my mere 60 Forever stamps expire and I wish to renew after 5/11/09, it will be at the new rate.
Could you please share an opinion.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Forever stamps are just that..I asked the same thing. They will be valid for 1st class postage forever. If you bought a million of them and held them for 10 years, you could make some $$.

Old 03-03-09, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only problem with that theory is that the government is always changing things and not necessarily for the better.

Old 03-03-09, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Its not a theory as of now..its a fact. Of course they may change it down the road, but there will be a timeframe. But I know what you mean...when I joined the Military it was free medical/dental for life...HAH!

Old 03-03-09, 01:53 PM
Considering the housing market and the stock market, those stamps may be the only thing you can invest in that will hold their value.

Old 03-03-09, 07:48 PM
In that same line, Johnny, I saw a lady at the bank today cashing in what looked like 50 rolls of pennies. Got me to thinking......melt down the pennies which are worth $25.00 and recycle it as copper.....make money? Just a thought, considering the falling value of the dollar.

Old 03-03-09, 08:15 PM
nap
a couple problems with your idea chandler.

1. copper prices have plummeted recently

2. newer pennies are something like 97% zinc

3. it is illegal to melt down pennies and recycle them as copper.

4. be sure to factor in the cost of smelting the pennies and the labor to do it.

Old 03-03-09, 08:50 PM
In Canada, we won't have pennies in a few years. At least thats the discussion. We have loonies ($1) and toonies ($2) coins rather than bills. Very convienent. Of course our loonie is only worth $.78 usd but oh well.

Old 03-04-09, 01:23 PM
I am kind of surprised that no one in New England hasn't sued Canada yet for the Arctic blasts that keep coming down here. After all, in Little Rock Arkansas it is against the law for the Hope River to cross Main ST.

Old 03-04-09, 02:34 PM
I've still got eight of the eighteen "Forever" stamps I bought about this time last year, or whenever they came out. What with E-mail, Internet banking, bill paying services and writing a check before leaving the dentist's office or when checking in at the doctor's office I rarely have any need to use snail mail.

Old 03-04-09, 07:02 PM
FOREVER postal stamps

Forever stamps are great because you always have the correct postage for letters no matter when you buy them and you don't have to find 1 or 2 cents stamps to adjust.

My wife buys "pretty" stamps so it her problem to get her the other stamps when the rates change.

Dick

Old 03-08-09, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
I seldom use stamps and have quiet a few from my last purchase three or four years ago. They have no value marked on them and do not say "Forever". If I recall correctly they were printed in anticipation of a price increase but before the final amount was set. Since I don't remember the value they were intended to represent how do I know how much to add if I use them or since they are 1st class postage can I just use them like "Forever" stamps even though they don't say "Forever". I'll admit that the couple of times I really needed to mail something I just put two on. That seems a bit wasteful though.

Old 03-08-09, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Ray...had the same issue..2 diff workers at USPS told me..just use them, they will go through. But I took some down to the Post Office and they told me what I needed to add.

Some I just stuck 2 of them on and called it good.

btw...I never ***** about postage..if you've ever been overseas...you'd know its cheap as he11 here...just like our gas.

Search this Thread