March Madness

Old 03-19-09, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
March Madness

The best sporting event of the year is upon us and nobody is commenting yet???????

My pick this year (like most years) is UNC, but they are beatable so certainly not a shoe in. Ditto Duke; very good, but beatable.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope, waiting on little white round ball stuff to start.

Old 03-19-09, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Golf is already on chandler..lol

And did you know "March Madness" is trademarked? Do we have to use the little TM beside it when we say it?

Old 03-19-09, 03:20 PM
Not "that" white round ball. The one a little larger without dimples. You know, the one where the similarities exist about the Atlanta Braves and Michael Jackson all wearing one glove for no apparent reason......Golf.....let's see, hit a ball....chase it.....hit it .....chase it......ad infinitum. Not my cup of tea.
Oops, forgot to "TM" the Braves, sorry.

Old 03-19-09, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I just figured you being in GA and all..I just figured you were a member at Augusta...no?

(snicker snicker..like they'd let you in....) j/k...as you know.

Old 03-19-09, 07:12 PM
Not me, but I work on many part time residences here where the owners have their gallery cards hanging from their Escalade rear view mirrors. But you're right, they wouldn't let me in.....no spittoons on the greens.

Old 03-20-09, 04:01 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
.....no spittoons on the greens.

Thought they were marked with little flags.

Old 03-20-09, 05:02 PM
Well, nobody ever told me! I just thought it was discriminatory, but if that's the case, then I could handle it.

Old 03-20-09, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Well, there is a certain etiquette; you're not supposed to use it until everyone in your foursome has putted out.

Old 03-21-09, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, after the first round my two leading brackets in the ESPN Challenge put me in 34,769th place!!! That's top 10%! Beer 4U2 My worst entry is in the 4,434,809th spot.

Best potential matchups today:

Memphis-Maryland
Gonzaga-Western kentucky

Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Old 03-21-09, 02:12 PM
So second place isn't so bad after all, huh? And I thought betting on horses was complicated. Sort of like winning $2 on the Georgia Lottery with a big payout of $250,000,000.00.

Old 03-21-09, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Well, there's so many entries that each "place" is a tie between thousands of people.

Holy cow; my top entry is up to 9,749th place! Beer 4U2

The Memphis-Maryland game was a disappointment.

Carolina looked pretty good against LSU.

Old 03-21-09, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
The best sporting event of the year is upon us and nobody is commenting yet???????
TG I think you are mistaken. The Stanley Cup doesn't start until April but teams are jockying for playoff positions. I'm sure thats what you meant. PS: are the roads safer there now that the snowbirds have migrated north?

Old 03-22-09, 03:37 AM
Group Moderator
They haven't left yet!

Easter is usually the demarcation line. Always figured the hockey playoffs were in April because there weren't enough fans left in Canada before that.

Old 03-22-09, 04:13 AM
No, we're waiting on their arrival somewhere around Easter. TG gets a little rest and we get whatever they bring with them......hopefully money.

Old 03-22-09, 02:52 PM
The older I get, the more I am tiring of sports in general.

People talk about 'what a good game it was'. Yeah - if your team wins!! If your team does not win, I can't see how anyone could go out of the place, or casually walk away from the tv, feeling they at least got entertained by a good game.

When the Pat's lost because that NYG guy caught that ball on his head, to wreck the Pat's perfect season, I - well, I still have not got over that!

I can enjoy games better if I have no vested interest in either team. Then I root for the team who appears to be losing. I also enjoy watching high school championships, just watch the losers cry afterwards.

Old 03-22-09, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
I hear you and I think that's why I like March Madness so much. Some of the most entertaining games are the ones I have absolutley no ties to, but the guys on the court play their hearts out. It's certainly better than any pro sports.

Oh, going off-topic, here's a little something I whipped up between games this year:

Old 03-22-09, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Hey TG...not bad..but damn thats some bad wiring...lets get with the program!! LOL.

Really, any physical sports (BB, FB, etc) don't really work for me...how much money do you need to play a game?

Hockey players are mostly underpaid, but thats cause its not popular. Nascar is all about sponsers..so it doesn' t count.

Old 03-22-09, 06:07 PM
Not too bad for a hook man. I like the design.

Old 03-22-09, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Can't take credit for the design; Woodsmith magazine.

The vertical wire in the corner is a surround sound speaker wire; really have to get around to hiding that. The cable down low is the incoming sat line; can't do much with that.

NASCAR is a sport??? Beer 4U2

Old 03-22-09, 08:40 PM
pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what type of wood is that? It does not look like a veneer that was glued on and it has a nice grain in it.

Old 03-23-09, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Cap'n I'm sure TG will be back..but it looks like oak to me. Prob a combination of cabinet grade ply and solid.

Old 03-23-09, 06:09 AM
I hear you and I think that's why I like March Madness so much. Some of the most entertaining games are the ones I have absolutley no ties to, but the guys on the court play their hearts out. It's certainly better than any pro sports.

Oh, going off-topic, here's a little something I whipped up between games this year:

I laughed, almost maniacly last night, after I learned both our 2 state teams got outed from the tournament yesterday, and I was smart enough not to waste my precious time to watch them lose. Hahahahahaha! The gods didn't win me THIS time. I'm not going to let them get the best of me anymore! I've had it with teams I am for, losing. Never again! I've almost thrown my tv out the window, in the past. It is a control thing. When teams lose and I can't jump through the tv to help them win, I get mad. I win, by not watching! Hahahaha.

I carry through this same attitude about flying. If the plane is crashing, it does not mattter how smart you are. No parachute?, you die. I don't fly any more. I used to years ago, when I was young and 'knew' I could not be killed. (That is how you think when you are young).

THAT is some beautiful workmanship, TG!! You belong in the carpentry forum!

Old 03-23-09, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Gunguy hit it; oak playwood with solid oak face frames and door frames. The plans in the magazine were for cherry and cherry plywood. Can't even begin to think where I would find cherry plywood, plus the total cost would have been prohibitive.

Old 03-23-09, 10:56 AM
awesome. Thanks. Last few times I used pine to fake cherry and other woods. its just not the same. I enjoyed the look so I will write down that wood style for my next project.

Old 03-26-09, 09:39 AM
Wouldn't that be something if the UConn women lost? Can you imagine? They'd all take a flying leap off the nearest bridge. Would rank up there with the Pats loss to NYG.

Old 03-28-09, 01:59 PM
NCAAM:

Let's see. Who's left? Um...Michigan State, Louisville, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, UConn, North Carolina...who else?

Anyhow, do you realize only one team will win it all. That means if you are a die hard fan for one of the remaining teams and watched them win 3, 4 or whatever playoff games - only to have them finally lose - What was the use of watching them up to that point? What a waste. You mean to tell me in all honesty you take that sitting down and say "at least it was a good game?"

If you are a sore loser you might blame the refs, especially if the game was close, that some calls did not go your way. And maybe it's true. But them's the breaks. No asterisks for bad calls.

What a waste of time, watching teams lose. And more specifically, to invest say many hours watching that team win several games, only to finally watch them lose.

I find it more rewarding, more educational, watching shows on Bigfoot hunting expeditions - and that aliens maybe helped cut and stack up to 100 ton rocks where you can't slip a razor blade in between.

IMO.

Old 03-28-09, 02:27 PM
I have it down to Pittsburg and NC with a tie breaking score of 73...or that is what I had on my bracket! I am pulling a 50% win loose rate right now! The entertainment center is great! I still need to hook up the converter box!

Old 03-28-09, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
My best bracket is at 97.98% and has Pitt beating Louisville in the final. Would be hard to swallow for a die-hard UNC fan.

I would watch a Bigfoot hunt if Bigfoot was shooting back and an aliens program if they showed up.

Old 03-29-09, 11:35 AM
The funniest thing would be hearing Dick Vitale speaking in a normal voice. Is that physically possible for him? At least vocally, he has more energy than a 1 year old kid. The other people in my house are diehard UCONN fans, 1 attended for a couple years, the other worked there for 28 years before retiring. Personally I have about as much interest in that sport as watching the grass grow or paint drying or the car rusting. But seeing Dick Vitale on tv during ARRRGGHHH Rays games (cannot wait to see what happens when players for that team are eligible for arbitration) makes me wonder if speaking in a normal tone of voice is kind of like the odds of getting 18 hole-in-ones in a game of golf.

Old 03-29-09, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
I prefer Dick to some of the monotone announcers that sometimes get the gig. Often he's more entertaining than the game.

But then, I liked Cosell, too.

Old 03-30-09, 07:01 AM
My best bracket is at 97.98% and has Pitt beating Louisville in the final. Would be hard to swallow for a die-hard UNC fan.

I would watch a Bigfoot hunt if Bigfoot was shooting back and an aliens program if they showed up.
Both of their gooses got cooked. Any other guesses now?

Old 03-30-09, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Hey Carolina waxed Oklahoma's butt [sorry, Mark], so it's hard to be unhappy. Hoping they don't belly up in the semi-finals like last year. Would you believe my wife may actually beat me with one of her brackets? Better than her beating me with a frying pan, I suppose.

Old 03-30-09, 02:06 PM
Its kind of funny as a Red Sox fan, I know some Yankees fans who cannot stand one of the commentators on their network. I believe (kind of ironic that the word lie can be found in that word isn't it) that they were saying that Michael Kay doesn't know anything about baseball

Old 03-30-09, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
You mean there's someone more annoying than a Yankees fan??? Beer 4U2

Old 03-30-09, 04:44 PM
If I heard right?, the UConn women actually fell behind for the first time, at the half? As I said in a previous post, if they get beat, at this stage, can you imagine what a treat we would all get, to see their emotions spill forth?

In the mens: Michigan State is in my conference. They could be a suprise team, with their defense. After al they really purt it to the #1 team. But I still am not going to watch them for the entire game. I refuse to get emotionally wrapped up in games anymore. Too many past heartaches. But I will sneak a peak every once in a while.

That is what I did with the Tiger Woods tournament yesterday. I called my next door neighbor(the one whose car I helping to diagnose) when Tiger was 3 strokes behind, and I said, "Watch Tiger win, yet again! Watch that other guy choke." Yep. Glad I did not watch that whole thing either.

Old 04-07-09, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Tarheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so the final was a little anti-climatic. Has to rank as one of the great all-round teams in NCAA tournament history. Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

My wife and I tied with our pool brackets.

Old 04-07-09, 01:48 PM
That smilely face must have one monster of a hangover after that many beers towguy!!! ROFLMAO

Old 04-08-09, 04:10 PM
NCAAM - What a waste of time watching the championship game played already once before by the 2 teams!

I kinda figured that UNC would get into the head of MS. A 35 point shellacing at MS's home court back in December had to have done that.

Luckily, I was smart enough to turn off the game, early on. Others this year also were possibly turned off by the rematch game, and the championship game viewership was down 7% from last year, even though the total games viewership was up 5%!

NCAAW -Another waste of time. I knew the outcome before the tip-off. I wanted to at least see Oklahoma in there.

Old 05-03-09, 03:10 PM
Sure am glad I spent my afternoon diong this, rather than watching the Miami Heat vs. Atlanta Hawks game.