Professional orienation of this forum?

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-09, 05:30 PM
Professional orienation of this forum?

This is a DIY forum, right? But, the forum asks for only professional electricians to become moderators. All well and good, and the rest of us can learn from them. (And vice-versa.)

But, is there actually a little bias against DIYers? I have been called an amateur here - which is technically true, but it was meant as an insult, I think. My IQ has been compared to 30 (which my wife might agree with).

My sense is that some moderators may be "licensed" in large states or metropolitan areas, and possibly unionized - maybe not all that supportive, in concept, to DIYers? Just my impression. If I'm wrong, please forgive me.
Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please give us a link to the post?

Our moderators are here to help you, if they were "biased", why would they even offer their help?

Often times, people misread or read to much into a post. When it comes to electricity, sometimes the mods or anyone else for that matter need to be blunt and too the point to make sure the poster is being informed.

Not everyone can be pleased.

Old 03-22-09, 06:03 PM
I was going to jump in on the topic in question, but professional concerns had already been stated. The IQ statement wasn't directed toward you, but as a general requirement for NOT working on such a volitale situation. Arguing with electricians in an electrical forum, as was done, is futile. They know what they are talking about. The requirement for electricians as moderators gives them the edge in defusing problems when it comes to code regulations, interpretations, etc., so I can see why they are necessary. The most important thing we do on the forum as "professionals" is keep the DIY'er from getting hurt, damaging property, or violating codes.

Old 03-22-09, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Gilmorrie as I posted in that thread I think it spiraled a bit out of control. I can see why you took offense but I think some just were really concerned about your safety.

Old 03-22-09, 10:18 PM
I just want to make it clear in here.,

We always try to remind the members for safety issue and we will " tap " on your sholder for safety reason.

Yes most electricians are trained to work hot { live } situation however in resdentail area it is not a specal situation what we do is turn off the power source while we are upgrading the service or other major repairs as need to be done.

For some reason if you need electric power most electricians will make a arrangement to rent or bring the generator as need to.

For service changeover most of the time the power will be off average about 4 to 6 hours depending on what it have to be done. if stay off longer for some reason we will get the generator as needed to.

And the other thing that most resdentail panel useally don't have super wide room to work hot espcally if service changeover.

IF something go wrong there is a heckva a mess to deal with it.

I did see service enterance cables get destoryed both resdentail size and commercal size.

I am sorry if I am harsh but we do not really encourage any thing dangerous with it.

The service entrance changeover is typically done by electricians or super serious DIY* { if they are well verised with local/state codes }

{* only homeowner may can do the service changeover if the local code allowed it otherwise electrician will have to do this task }

Merci,Marc

Old 03-23-09, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by gilmorrie View Post
This is a DIY forum, right? But, the forum asks for only professional electricians to become moderators.
Would you in all seriousness, think it be any other way?

Old 03-23-09, 04:24 PM
I'm a general contracor and I always call a licensed electrician for any electrical questions I may have.

Old 03-23-09, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Certain things...decks, plumbing (not gas), concrete, etc..are only a PITA and PITW (wallet) if the wrong info is followed. Electricity can kill you....makes perfect sense to me.

I took 10.5 Kv through my hand once. I was lucky, 2 burns (entrance and exit) and a numb arm to my elbow for 30 min. Glad it wasn't high amps..or I'd prob be typing with one hand.

Anyone can post with advice, and if it's wrong..it will be corrected quickly.

Old 03-23-09, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
I'm a general contracor and I always call a licensed electrician for any electrical questions I may have.
Well, you woudn't do that here. Electricians aren't licensed.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Anyone can post with advice, and if it's wrong..it will be corrected quickly.
Well, the advice that a 4-wire service would be required by the AHJ if I put the meter at the street, was never corrected. Still waiting.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Mistakes happen..if it was a mistake..didn't see it. Thats why I got the 10.5 though my hand...my mistake..not someone elses.

Also..you think this is bad..try some of the other HVAC or electrical sites. They won't even help with minor issues...it's all about "call a Pro".

Old 03-23-09, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
{* only homeowner may can do the service changeover if the local code allowed it otherwise electrician will have to do this task }
Merci,Marc
Probably very good advice, and I don't dispute the wisdom, but as you stated it, it is incorrect. Electricians here are not licensed, and there is no legal definition of an "electician." And, there are no local electrical codes here.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 05:41 PM
...it's all about "call a Pro".
That advice is always correct. No problem. But this is a DIY forum, remember.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 05:47 PM
The service entrance changeover is typically done by electricians or super serious DIY* { if they are well verised with local/state codes }
Merci,Marc
I agree with your statement, totally. However, no local or state codes apply where I live. I've said this repeatedly, yet it keeps being re-posted here on this thread.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Arguing with electricians in an electrical forum, as was done, is futile.
The thread in question began with a very simple question. There were conflicting answers, but I never intended to argue. Unfortunately, I did respond when clearly incorrect or misunderstanding posts were made. I should have just ignored them, for which I apologize.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 06:00 PM
For some reason if you need electric power most electricians will make a arrangement to rent or bring the generator as need to.

For service changeover most of the time the power will be off average about 4 to 6 hours depending on what it have to be done. if stay off longer for some reason we will get the generator as needed to. Merci,Marc
I wonder if you have completely read the thread in question? A generator would be absolutley no help in my situation.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, Doug..I guess no one will convince you otherwise...but..

I've never seen info/advice posted here that wasn't corrected by many people (Pro's and DIY'ers) quickly, if it was incorrect.

Just like gas piping..some advise to call someone for any work, others think it's a complete DIY job. I don't agree with either opinion.

(IMO) There is no bias against DIY info here...I'm not a Pro at anything..but I've had a ton of experience at a lot of things. I pass that on. Sometimes I'm off, sometimes I'm on. Always willing to learn. I also tell people in my posts..NO Pro..take it for what its worth...free.

Off track a bit..but its amazing to me that where you are requires no training or licensing for electricians? How about plumbers? Contractors? Never saw that..even in rural OH.

Old 03-23-09, 06:04 PM
Yes most electricians are trained to work hot { live } situation however in resdentail area it is not a specal situation what we do is turn off the power source while we are upgrading the service or other major repairs as need to be done.
Fair enough, but have you read about my most recent plan to put the meter at the street? You and others are still beating a dead horse.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 06:09 PM
Well, Doug..I guess no one will convince you otherwise...but..
Off track a bit..but its amazing to me that where you are requires no training or licensing for electricians? How about plumbers? Contractors? Never saw that..even in rural OH.
Mechanical contractors, yes. General contractors, no. Plumbers, no. Electicians, no.

I've received several such postings either disputing or questioning this. You can check it out by doing an Internet search, if you don't believe me. Amazing or not.
Doug

Old 03-23-09, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Exclamation

Doug,

I have been following your "240V - working hot?" and now this thread and the subject has gone full circle.........many times!
We have many qualified people answering questions who come from a variety of backgrounds so you should expect a wide variety of solutions.

The general consensus of those here is that what you propose is too dangerous given that there is no emergency or justifiable reason to work on your panel hot.

I don't think that you will get the answer you want to hear so I'll close this thread and recommend you find a different solution.

Closed Thread