180 seconds between posting

Old 03-22-09, 08:03 PM
180 seconds between posting

Who do you have to kill to lower the 180 seconds between posting times? I am trying to help people but its really hard when I have to wait so long to repost. I find more and more that I just skip it and close the window because I am all done typing but cant wait around another 15 minutes just so I can click every 3 minutes to repost.

I tried the contact us link about a week ago but have not heard any response.

I know the group you belong to (moderator, super moderator) etc has a set timeframe but you can also edit the timefrime in another manner. Its been done for me before on similar forums, but I dont know how they did it.

edit: oh, I tried researching this on these forums but had no luck finding the answer. Sorry if this is already listed somewhere but I did not come across it in the FAQ or a whole bunch of searches of the forums.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 08:31 PM
This subject has been broached many times. The 3 minute delay is to curb spam and according to the powers-that-be it works quite well although it is not perfect. We all have to deal with it and the administration has made it quite clear that it will not go away and there will be no work-around for long-time members.

Now what I sometimes do is have two windows open to these forums. I post an answer and then switch to the other window where I am reading on a different forum. I find that between that and not typing very fast (along with usually giving overly detailed answers) that I rarely get hit with the three-minute warning.

Old 03-22-09, 08:37 PM
thanks for replying, furd. Didnt realize it was across the board. If these are setup in the same style as ones I have been in before, they can be altered per user and per user group (but I am guessing they already know that). I dont know how to do it, I just know it could be done.

Could this be added to the FAQ to help ppl like me from continually asking? I did try to find the answer on my own, but could not find a response. A few of the keywords I used, in case it helps:

180 seconds
time between post(s)
response time
posting delay
post time

edit: oh, yeah. I open all the windows at once, but I type rather fast. I end up sitting on about 5 windows before I can end up being done. I'll just have to be choosier where to respond.

Old 03-23-09, 08:39 AM
I certainly think there should be an ability to eliminate the block from those who have posted beyond a certain number of posts like 100 or 250 or something.I doubt much spam comes from anyone with a fairly large number of posts.You can say "you'd be surprised" etc but the whole idea behind blocks like this is playing the odds and the odds are beyond several hundred posts you aren't a spammer.

The site has a core group of regular participants who obviously have no desire to spam the site but are penalized all the same which frankly seems stupid to me.

Old 03-23-09, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Here was the last discussion on this subject. If you read Sharp Advice's posts..you'll get all the answers you need.

http://forum.doityourself.com/genera...post-mark.html

btw..I found it when I did a search for "post delay" in this forum....there are some other threads that are interesting as well.

Old 03-23-09, 11:38 AM
thanks for the link, Gunguy. I tried seaching for posting delay again and the only result I got was this thread I just started. The other one was not in the first 50 so I must have done something wrong.

Old 03-23-09, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh..I may have misspoken...I searched in this "topic" only and I used the advanced search.

Also, I sorta knew what to look for in the titles..since I at least read almost every post.

Old 03-25-09, 03:53 PM
Captain

I feel your frustration, and have commented on this several times before. Nothing happens, you just get the stock answers about spam. Gosh, some people on here have thousands of posts, cant imagine they are spammers. Type slower and drink more beer.

Old 03-25-09, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
And if you have enough beer, you'll kill the time spell checking and editing your posts...lol.
Doesn't help in the mornings though...

Old 03-25-09, 04:06 PM
More beer can often result in some interesting solutions to a problem. Alright, maybe that wasnt such a good idea.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 03-25-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I play hearts while waiting. A few hands of that seems to kill the 180 seconds in a realtively painless manner. I just use the version that came with the computer no interet required version

Old 03-25-09, 04:26 PM
It's just frustrating. Super moderators can delete all posts from the same user in one fell swoop as easily as an individual post but this is the way its set up. I know its not mean to cause the rest of us harm and whatnot... just the way it is.

It is what it is... one of the times you get punished for being a fast typer. Hopefully there are enough keywords in this post though to help others find it. I seriously looked and looked before asking.

Old 03-25-09, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
First, super mods cannot delete all posts from a user in one swoop, it is individual and before the dalay between posts we would have some spammers get a double digit number of posts in before we caught them. Flat out, that sucked.

Second, the time delay has helped that problem, it's rare for a spammer to post more than two or three times before we catch them now. This is a huge improvement.

Third, it used to be five minutes.

I typically have many windows open and looking at different ones eats up enough time for me. I can see where you would only see the hassle side of the coin but it has been a huge help to those of us charged with policing the site.

Old 03-26-09, 05:31 AM
Oh, I moderate elsewhere and can delete an entire user including all of their posts. Soooo many things were similar I thought this site would be the same. My mistake.

If the time delay saves you headaches then I am cool with it, just thought it was something editable is all. I realize now it is not.

Old 03-26-09, 06:44 AM
Mitch

All your reasons sound good. Is there not a way to waive the 3 minute wait for users in excess of a certain number of posts. I really doubt that those of us that have been around a good length of time and have lots of posts will be spamming any time soon. More likely the new users who register and spam in the same day.

Old 03-26-09, 07:06 AM
I am guessing at this point they either cannot make that change or do not know how. 3 minutes sounds better than 5 though. ouch.

Old 03-26-09, 07:53 AM
Each website and community has its own rules / policies. If you join a community, you are supposed to join the rules as well
IMO, the comments by Sharp Advice are clear. After many years, most of us prefer a 3 minutes waiting instead of a forum intoxicated by spam. Imagine yourself trying to follow a thread with dozens of advertisement about running shoes, DVD, etc
I am in other forums, and some of them are premoderated--> Mods must approve the posts before publication

Regarding who and when will start to post spam .... Once, we had a "moderator-to-be" trying to post spam

Last edited by pmgca; 03-26-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 11:03 AM
Patricia

Shouldn't we (us folks that have been here for a while) be presumed innocent until proven guilty. I have to think that99.9% of spam is from new posters. I cannot imagine that this site gets lots of spam from members with thousands of posts. My suggestion was to clear the 3 minute rule for long time members with x number (to be determined by the powers to be) of posts.

If you join a community, you are supposed to join the rules as well
Agreed, but that doesnt mean that you cant make suggestions to make it a better place, right.

Old 03-26-09, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Jeez people..it's just not ever gonna happen in the forseeable future. As I said, if you look at the posts by Sharp Advice (who is the boss in these things, AFAIK) in the link I posted, you'll see.

It's just kind of a live with it thing, not that I like it either necessarily.

Of course it could probably be changed relatively simply..but it's just not going to happen.

Type slower..live longer..lol

Old 03-26-09, 12:22 PM
Johnny,

Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Shouldn't we (us folks that have been here for a while) be presumed innocent until proven guilty. .... My suggestion was to clear the 3 minute rule for long time members with x number (to be determined by the powers to be) of posts.
:
Did you know that we (mods) have also the 3 minutes rule?

Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
I have to think that99.9% of spam is from new posters. I cannot imagine that this site gets lots of spam from members with thousands of posts. :
Did you read what I wrote about the mod-to-be?
I don't say that you are going to post spam, Johnny. But the fact is that you never know who and when

Of course, you can and you should make suggestions. Actually, all of us.
I just say (and I am not speaking as mod, just as a DIY member) that all the websites / forums have rules, and unfortunately, spammers make necessary hard rules. I abandoned few communities invaded by spammers

Old 03-26-09, 12:45 PM
Jeez people..it's just not ever gonna happen in the forseeable future. As I said, if you look at the posts by Sharp Advice (who is the boss in these things, AFAIK) in the link I posted, you'll see.
Gunguy, I'm the eternal optomist. I know that if this is brought up enough, "the boss" will see the light. And you with 4000 posts, if I were in charge, you would only have to wait 2 minutes.

Did you read what I wrote about the mod-to-be?
Patricia, Yes I did. Ok so one bad egg out of how many?

Alright, I'm done ranting, until the next time this comes up again.

Old 03-26-09, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
But you know what they say..one bad egg can spoil the carton...or something like that..lol.

Old 03-26-09, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
First, super mods cannot delete all posts from a user in one swoop, it is individual and before the dalay between posts we would have some spammers get a double digit number of posts in before we caught them. Flat out, that sucked.
ummm........I guess mitch doesn't know the "find all posts by user" option under the offenders username, then click the box that highlights all the posts, then move them all into archives. No need to find each post a spammer has created.

Patricia,

Only topic mods and normal users have the 3 min delay.

Old 03-27-09, 07:41 AM
This is exactly what I wrote!!!

Old 03-27-09, 10:38 AM
Personally, I think that anyone caught spamming and spammers in general should have any and all contact information such as home address, phone numbers and emails prominently posted for a minimum of one month. That way anyone who wants to can have catalogs or sales pitches sent to that person so much that person will be so stressed out they will never think about spamming again. Or is that too nice a thing to do?