Progressive Auto Insurance: Opinion?

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-09, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Progressive Auto Insurance: Opinion?

Does anybody here have Progressive Auto Insurance or know someone who does or have had it? Just checked and they are 40% cheaper then my current insurance company (Farmers) for the same coverage. That actually made me a bit suspicious because all other so called discount insurance providers I have checked in the past want more then I currently pay,. A quick Web check shows lots of complaints of steep price increases after the first year and poor service but then happy customers don't post on the Web so I'm looking for more diversified view point.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-09, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I have Progessive for my jet ski's, and Farmers for my Auto/Home.

Never had a problem with Progessive jacking up my rates, but never had to "use" them for a claim as of yet.

For auto, I have spoken with a few autobody shops that do not like them at all. Progessive demands that the mechanic substitute OEM quality parts with inferior, and still rob them of the money.

I've never had any problems with Farmers either. They have been good to me, even when filing a auto claim for hail damage. They came to my house the next day and cut me a check and walked off.

Old 03-23-09, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Thats odd Mark..I thouht most states had laws about Ins companies being able to demand that. I know VA did anyway.

Old 03-23-09, 03:32 PM
That could be the case now. Like I said, this is what the shops were saying. It has been a few years since then.

Old 03-23-09, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the opinions so far. Since my 23 year old ride probably has a Blue Book value of less then $300 it is mainly trying to stay legal that interests me. Have had Farmers over 20 years and never made a claim hopefully never will have to. Since we are talking basic liability and no uninsured motorist they will not be fixing my car. More opinions welcomed. After all these years with Farmers I'm a bit nervous about making the jump.

Old 03-23-09, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
A quick Web check shows lots of complaints of steep price increases after the first year........
I'd want to look into this real good, if I were you. My health insurance did that to me. It went up 400% in 11 years(without claims)! I think that is a little more than the yearly 3% cost of living increase, eh?

Old 03-25-09, 04:28 PM
I had Progressive auto several years ago and they were okay as far as I remembr. I skidded in the rain and caused a 3 car chain collision. The woman I hit had a foot injury. 18 months later she sued for a shoulder injury (since when are the foot and shoulder anywhere near each other unless doing yoga?). Progressive ate the $20,000 she got. I switched to Geico after Progressive skyrocketed on me (prob trying to get the $20k back). I have Geico now, a couple years ago, I lost a wheel cylinder and my brakes due to that. I managed to stop by going in between 2 SUVs a 1 year old BMW X5? and a two year old Nissan X-terra. The damage for that was $7,000 and my rates actually dropped, because for the first two years your 6 month premium will drop by 5% if you maintain a clean driving record. The accident was classified as mechanical failure, not driver error.

Old 03-25-09, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-26-09, 05:45 AM
I have State Farm (had it since 1973), and Progressive won't give you a comparison online as long as you are insured by SF. I am not allegiant to SF for any reason other than their coverage is good and they don't jetison my rates for no reason. I am for saving money, so I have tried to compare what I have with both Geico and Progressive, and neither will do it. Not sure why.

Old 03-26-09, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I have State Farm (had it since 1973), and Progressive won't give you a comparison online as long as you are insured by SF. I am not allegiant to SF for any reason other than their coverage is good and they don't jetison my rates for no reason. I am for saving money, so I have tried to compare what I have with both Geico and Progressive, and neither will do it. Not sure why.
Now that is weird. Wonder why?

Old 03-26-09, 06:35 AM
I surmised it was their thrust of "lower pricing", but the coverage wasn't close to what I have. If I were to get the same coverage, I'm afraid they couldn't compete. In addition, I don't think they have some of the coverages offered by Allstate, State Farm, etc. For instance, if I crack a windshield, it is covered 100%. I call it in and they send someone to fix it on site. I don't think they offer that.

Old 03-26-09, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
....., a couple years ago, I lost a wheel cylinder and my brakes due to that. I managed to stop by going in between 2 SUVs a 1 year old BMW X5? and a two year old Nissan X-terra. The damage for that was $7,000 and my rates actually dropped, because for the first two years your 6 month premium will drop by 5% if you maintain a clean driving record. The accident was classified as mechanical failure, not driver error.
Huh. That is lucky. In this letigious society, and where companies want you to sign your paycheck over to them, you'd think they would look at it(or could look at it) that mechancial failure might be your fault for not having vehcile maintained. Glad it worked out in your favor though. A person has to get lucky once in a while.

Old 03-26-09, 10:16 AM
How often does a person pull apart their drum brakes to check a wheel cylinder. The car stopped fine at a red light a mile earlier on the same road.

Old 09-24-12, 11:36 AM
I worked for the County Clerk's office where I live. When I mentioned to someone who worked filing appeals of decisions she warned me Progressive is good about fixing vehicle damage but very bad about paying for injury. They are the subject of more personal injury appeals than any other insurance. I still stayed with Progressive. I have had a policy with them since 2004 without ever making a claim. I had an accident where the other driver was at fault so his insurance had to pay for fixing damage. I did suffer an injury, have had two separate Dr.s confirm I am suffering injury from accident and now they are making me go to a Dr of their choosing so they can get his opinion regarding my injuries. Since he is being paid by Progressive, I can only guess what his final diagnosis will be since they are paying for him. I wish I would have listened and dropped them right away. I shouldn't be put through extra pain and exams because they are too cheap to pay for me to be treated when I paid them all these years.

Old 09-24-12, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

What you are dealing with is standard procedure for insurance companies and injury claims, this would have happened with a different company as well.

Old 09-24-12, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Elizabeth. Do you have a personal injury lawyer involved of your own choosing? If you don't then I suggest you get one before proceeding any further. This goes for any car accident from any company as it protects your legal rights. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread

Search this Thread