At the grocery store..

Old 03-25-09, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile At the grocery store..

I was at the grocery store today and it kind of made me wonder if I was the only customer at this particular store to buy a particular product. I was buying more Ro-Tel which is a blend of tomatoes and green chilies. It was recomended by me by friends at *********. I wondered about this because when the employees fronted the cans, there was quite a gap in the middle behind the first row of cans. It was on the top shelf and being 6'5" or 6", it isn't difficult to see the top rack in this fashion. Does anyone else have a similar experience where they shop for groceries?

Last edited by GregH; 03-25-09 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-09, 04:30 PM
You are curious as to why they did not move the entire supply forward, as opposed to only bringing one row forward?

If so, maybe 5' 6" inch stocking person pulled forward what they could reach without getting one of those portable stairs?

You are up there in the upper stratosphere, and have the unfortunate pleasure of even seing dust on top of tall refrigerators.

Old 03-25-09, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm NOP..this is strange..did someone hijack your PC? Why would you feel the need to post the actual website? Most PC savvy people have heard of Pogo.

Again..strange...cause I know you know better

Old 03-25-09, 04:34 PM
I wasn't wondering about the fronting, it just made me wonder if I was the only person buying it. I didnt mean to ruffle any feathers with the mention of pogo. I find that it is very easy to kill several hours at a stretch there.

Old 03-25-09, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
No feathers ruffled here..they all fell out a while ago...I was just curious.

btw..duh..I forgot to say..Rotel is one of my favored brands for Hispanic stuff.

Old 03-25-09, 06:01 PM
It is great with basmati rice, grated cheddar and ground beef.

Old 03-25-09, 07:55 PM
I make a great tamale pie using that stuff. Now I think I'll need to add that to menu for next week.

Old 03-25-09, 08:23 PM
nap
as to why they fronted on the front row;

because it is faster than fronting the entire shelf stock and either the boss would notice or wouldn't care.

so, who has the recipe for the tamale pie. You guys got me hungry.

Old 03-26-09, 10:23 AM
I just had a thought in my head wondering if I was the only customer to go to that store to buy that particular product. I couldnt care less about the fronting. By the way if you want to see something strange go to Yahoo search, look up French toast recipes. You will find about 6,000 sites offering recipes for this. I was like whoa!

Old 03-26-09, 12:54 PM
I read this entire thread, and I must admit I am lost. Whats the question and whats the answer?

Old 03-26-09, 01:54 PM
How much you front depends on how much there is on the shelf,your access to it and so forth.

Things is if you go the lazy route and just front one or two rows you're fronting again soon after so it makes way more sense to front as much as you can.

We always front the whole stock unless it's hard to get too etc.That way next time you front the rows are closer to the front already plus it looks weird when the front item is removed and behind it is an empty space or others way behind.

It's also easier to rotate stock when you front all.you just push them aside and push new stock behind.Rotating is important when it's something like paint or putty etc.

That concludes today's lesson on fronting and stock rotation.

Old 03-26-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
I read this entire thread, and I must admit I am lost. Whats the question and whats the answer?
While I ponder my car issues tonight, you can ponder this. Good luck.

Old 03-26-09, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
so, who has the recipe for the tamale pie. You guys got me hungry.
I have it!

My Recipe Box: Tamale Pie

Old 03-26-09, 05:01 PM
Nightowlpunk -

Was it an Italian store in southern CT or in the trough running south from Hartford?

Old 03-26-09, 08:48 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Melissa_E View Post
thanks melissa. I'll give it a try soon.

Old 03-27-09, 10:17 AM
It is a Super Stop& Shop in Norwich. My original question had nothing to do with fronting. It was wondering if anyone felt that they were the only person to get a certain product at the grocery store, due to the fact it looks like some products never move off the shelf.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 03-27-09 at 10:20 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 03-27-09, 11:08 AM
OK, I see your question, now. Nope, there is a little elf that runs across the tops of the shelving units and moves the cans to the front. Only you tall people can see him. We can't. That's the way the cans are always fronted when you approach them. Gosh, sorry for missing the question.

Old 03-27-09, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
thanks melissa. I'll give it a try soon.
It is husband and kid approved!

Old 03-27-09, 04:13 PM
I know about fronting since I did work at a grocery store at night for a couple months, walked due to not getting enough hours. I found that the hardest item to stock and front were baby food jars since the space to put them in is so small. By the way the tamale pie recipe sounds great except for the disgusting black olives, so if I do make it I will omit them. One other thing that I noticed that never seemed to sell is the escargot, ya know the snail shells with the snails in a can. I was thinking wouldn't slugs be cheaper and taste pretty much the same i.e. nasty.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 03-27-09 at 04:16 PM. Reason: same as last post i edited
Old 03-27-09, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
You never had snails cooked right...man they rock! Garlic and olive oil or butter! As good or better than portabella mushrooms.

Personally, I can't deal with oysters....slimy little slugs.

Old 03-27-09, 04:51 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You never had snails cooked right...man they rock! Garlic and olive oil or butter! As good or better than portabella mushrooms.

Personally, I can't deal with oysters....slimy little slugs.
well, if you are comparing them to mushrooms, they can't be good. Never cared for mushrooms and just can't see eating a slug, with or without a shell.

Search this Thread