How About Spam Mods?

Old 03-27-09, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
How About Spam Mods?

The 180 second debate thread and another thread about qualifications for mods gave me an idea. There are probably a lot of viewers who don't have professional qualifications to be topic mods but would like to help out with spam. That would make the burden a bit easier on the other mods. Why not create a limited privilege mod with just enough privileges to remove spam . Not sure how the "report spam" button works but perhaps that button could also notify the "spam mods". Just an idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Nah..make 'em earn their pay...lol

Old 03-27-09, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about the other mod's, but it's not much of a burden and generally occurs at almost predictable times of day, especially early morning hours. I go spam hunting with my first cup of coffee.

Old 03-27-09, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
TG...after you kill the spam..how do you cook it..Hawaiian style? Or fried up with hominy?

Jeez..I need a life.....

Old 03-27-09, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't go there GG. I remember when I was a kid during the last century, my dad occasionally fixed spam and pineapple. Take the pineapple juice, mix a little brown sugar in it, pour it over the spam topped with the pineapple slices and bake it. I can smell it now. But I go off topic. Sorry Ray.

Old 03-27-09, 11:43 AM
There's plenty of spam cops.

I slice my spam, fry it up in a pan, put it on white bread with mayo and enjoy.

Old 03-27-09, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
TG...after you kill the spam..how do you cook it..Hawaiian style? Or fried up with hominy?
You obviously don't know or don't remember what I used to do in life, but the answer is it's consumed raw!

Old 03-27-09, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
TG Of course I remember..but weren't you an airdale (Navy term) type Jarhead? And is any spam really raw? LOL j/k...you know that. btw..I was told by the 1st Sargeant it's ok for me to say JH..since we transported so many of you guys, and had to share the chowline.

Ray..sorry about getting things off track, but this too has been discussed I believe. I'd like to help out with the kind of stuff you address, since I spend so much time here, but I don't think it will occur. Except for the actual site admin, everyone is a volunteer..and many times, simple is better, if unwieldy.

Old 03-27-09, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, Jarheads and Squids get to exchange nicknames; it's those Air Force pukes and Army Doggies who aren't allowed.

Old 03-27-09, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
There's plenty of spam cops.

I slice my spam, fry it up in a pan, put it on white bread with mayo and enjoy.

No cheese?

I make a Denver sandwich now and then. I've tried 'real' ham and Spam and I'll take Spam anytime. Good stuff from Minnesota!

Baldwin

Old 03-27-09, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Careful guys you will get me to reminiscing the alleged food the Navy served. I've never smoked so it was really hard me to eat a lot of it. Of course for the smokers no problem because they smoked immediately before and after so with taste and smell dead they were only judging the food visually

Back then Alpo dog food proudly advertised 100% meat no fillers. On the other hand the alleged roast beef that made up most meals was officially named "reconstituted beef loaf". Ingredients were listed as beef, beef byproducts, soy filler. Yep, there was more meat in Alpo dog food then what we were getting.

Then there was the alleged potatoes. They came in one gallon cans and looked a bit like potato chips. Regardless of if they were serving them as hash browns for breakfast, or some fancy sounding potatoes for lunch or roast potatoes for supper they were cooked the same way. Thrown in a steam kettle with a little water and "cooked" till they swelled up and were hot.

Ever seen salad made with lettuce so old it is dark green and runs down the side of the bowl?

Old 03-28-09, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Lets not forget powdered milk and eggs....

Old 03-28-09, 06:16 AM
Lurps and MRE's. Yummy!...............

Old 03-28-09, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
As part of a drill we once had C rations on board ship for lunch. Overall I thought they were better then what the cooks usually served for lunch. Not so sure about MREs. After Hurricane Ike a friend got some. I tried a couple and really wasn't impressed. I thought the old C rations were better but maybe that is just age and memory loss.

Eggs. Now that was one of the weird things about the Navy. At sea we always had fresh eggs, even three weeks out but on shore at Navy bases in the US where getting fresh eggs was easy it was always powdered eggs. Cooked and cut in squares like brownies their slightly green mass wiggled like Jello as you carried your mess tray to the table.

Old 03-28-09, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
How appetizing! This thread is making me hungry. NOT!!

:TDG:

Old 03-28-09, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Well Shadeladie, if you aren't hungry yet how they thawed that frozen food surely will entice you. For reasons none only to Neptune they put the refers above aft steering, across from the laundry. The steering engines were steam reciprocating. No one really knows how hot it was down there or on the refer deck because the thermometers only went to 120 F . But to give you an idea how hot the CO2 fire extinguishers had to be undercharged by 10% to keep the safeties from popping off. About 4 in the morning the mess cooks would just throw the food out on this heavily traveled , seldom swabbed deck in front of the laundry and let the boxes thaw in their own puddles.

Old 03-28-09, 01:43 PM
Nah..make 'em earn their pay...lol
You mean, they get paid? They do?

Old 03-28-09, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yeah ecman..they rake in the accolades and abuse. Got all that ban/edit power and stuff..better than actual money IMO..lol

I was being facetious..that and sarcastic are my 2 best personality traits.

Old 03-28-09, 02:42 PM
Oh yeah ecman..they rake in the accolades and abuse. Got all that ban/edit power and stuff..better than actual money IMO..lol

I was being facetious..that and sarcastic are my 2 best personality traits.
Fess up. You are NOT kidding. You said that so YOU don't get banned.

Old 04-22-09, 04:41 PM
Thank you for giving me another reason to be glad that I am banned from life from any of the Armed Services. I tried to get into the Marine Corps about 11 years ago to get a CDL. I got a 92nd percentile on my ASVAB test, but since I lost part of a fingertip (padding) to a circular saw. I was thinking about it for a career, but the original reason I am glad to be banned is back in 03, truck drivers seemed to be always being blown up in Iraq.

Old 04-22-09, 04:49 PM
nap
how to enjoy a spam sandwich;

take 2 pieces of bread

open can of spam and slice

spread mayo on bread

add tomato slices

add lettuce

throw away spam

fold sandwich closed and eat.

enjoy.

Oh, you thought I forgot the spam. I didn't. Remember, the recipe is how to enjoy a spam sandwich.

Old 04-22-09, 05:11 PM
Hey nap, LMFAO. Do cats like to eat Spam? One of my cats loves tomato products and yogurt, but not at the same time.