Economy

Old 04-05-09, 03:36 PM
Economy

Is it just me or is any one else working more hours lately, I have been working anywhere from 12 to 15hrs a day lately and still can't keep up. really cut into my ability to check in here. Then my wife changed positions at work and is having to work some overtime also.

vegitarian: Old english for he who starves in winter.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-09, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, Speed, I think we all have been hit. I know I have. Rather than being 3 months behind, I am looking at only a few days if that, here lately. I am lucky in that I don't do new construction. Those guys are getting hit even harder. Mom and Pop are looking to finish the basement or redo the deck rather than building a new home.
My wife and I have about an acre in garden, and have made the determination that this year we will be freezing and canning alot more produce, because we just don't know what is going to happen to the food chain, or our ability to buy food next year.
Working normal days and then finishing out the day doing the garden work, man, I'm tired in the evenings!
But we've got to have the attitude that we will conquer it even though our "leaders" are to inept to see their nose.

Old 04-06-09, 08:55 AM
Working more hours is bad enough, but I hope you're at least being paid for the additional hours. I work for state government and we have a hiring freeze and aren't replacing any positions. In addition, there will be no pay raises and the possibility is still very real for pay cuts or lay-off's. Anytime someone leaves or retires, his/her work will be put on a remaining employee's shoulders, without any pay compensation. It doesn't take much of this "doing more with less" lifestyle before people get pretty disenchanted and moral goes down the tubes.

I was hoping to take early retirement this summer and find part time work in a field that I enjoyed and felt like I was making a real contribution to the world, but that too is on hold for the moment. So is buying/building a new house. Like Chandler's parents, I'm planning on sprucing up the 1977 vintage house I've owned for the last 25 years. So much for my "peak earning years" that I'm supposed to be into.

Old 04-06-09, 09:56 AM
With business trying to get the most productivity out of the least expense either you'll be working longer,working less or out of work.

In retail it's all about no overtime and no hiring.

So I work the same time in hours but with less people and no ability to fill the gaps.

Old 04-06-09, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
Is it just me or is any one else working more hours lately, I have been working anywhere from 12 to 15hrs a day lately and still can't keep up. really cut into my ability to check in here. Then my wife changed positions at work and is having to work some overtime also.
Is someone else making you work these hours? If not, why not get rid of stuff causing you to have to work long and hard to own those things, and relax more?- since one day you will be dead anyway, and can't take your money or things with you.

If you really work 15 hours a day, either you are practically working and sleeping only, if one adds on commute time, and lunch -or you are depriving yourself of sleep, in order to have a few hours of leisure in the evening.

Old 04-06-09, 04:52 PM
Work your fingers to the bone and whaddya get?????? Bony fingers.

Old 04-06-09, 07:01 PM
part of the reason is I am working out of town and would rather work than sit in a motel, also I do get overtime after 40hrs, last it is needed to get the job done. I am working as the environmental inspector on a new natural gas interstate pipeline and am theoretically supposed to inspect the 200 miles I am responsible for every week. but in actuality it usually takes about 3 weeks to do with the calls for come look at this and what not. I usually have the weekends for honey dos and church though.

how come common sense isn't so common?

Old 04-07-09, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Speedwrench

Fully aware of the gas line project. Environmental inspector? Compliments...... An important aspect of the job you're doing.

:PF:

But unfortunately, little room if any for sympathy.... Be glad you have a job. Thousands do not.

Those whom have work are glad they do and those without work would be glad to have work PLUS an opportunity to be paid for over time as well.

:NWhining:

:PTB:

:WH:

Beer 4U2

Old 04-07-09, 01:16 PM
I am on salary myself. My boss cannot undertand why I ahve credit card debt, when it is pretty obvious that my salary and my credit card debt are directly proportional. Shouldn't complain too much, one of the four workers in my company got laid off the other day due to losing a cleaning contract. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we got it back in less than a month since this has happened before with this particular contract, in other words, they find a cheaper cleaning company and then realize that the other company is cutting major corners, such as using a backpack vacuum for all the carpeting instead of an upright with a beater bar which we used. That carpet took an hour or so on weekends due to the sheer volume of the carpet.