Location Info

Old 04-07-09, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Location Info

Just a thought..has probably come up before. Would it be THAT hard to make location information a requirement when registering as a member? It would save quite a bit of time and frustration in many cases.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-09, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't see why not! You start giving electrical advice, then the OP comes up with wiring that can only be from the UK, and you realize all the advice you were going to give would get them killed, since you didn't know they weren't from the US. It even helps to know if you are right coast or left coast due to variations in construction methods.

Old 04-07-09, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
I think it would be a good idea, but maybe there's a legal issue with "making" someone give their location due to privacy crapola.

Old 04-07-09, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
I think dead horse pretty much sums up this one.

Electrical codes, temperature ranges, growing seasons, civil law, hunting regs, plumbing codes, building codes, traffic laws and many more subjects need location info.

This debate has been going on for many years but it is likely if we made the location field a required one, we will see a lot of places like "My Town" or "Whatsittoya".

Old 04-08-09, 04:16 AM
You're right. If we can't even get the time right on the forum, I don't think there's a snowball's chance of getting something like location requirements made. But it would help. We just have to proceed with caution and ask whenever a question arises that may be location sensitive.

Old 04-08-09, 12:16 PM
This would save having to ask the OP and the fact that you get an answer only some of the time.Another big example is advice on lawns as even a couple hundred miles of distance or the distance from something like a shoreline can make a huge difference on what to do and when to do it.

Old 04-08-09, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, one can hope....I don't remember what was required in the registration process...

Besides...whatsittoya couldn't be any worse than Manitoba....lol j/k

Old 04-08-09, 03:16 PM
Or "United States".....Sorry John Nelson. It just slipped out.

Old 04-08-09, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
, we will see a lot of places like "My Town" or "Whatsittoya".
Or they register that they are from a place called Embarrass, or Hell. And it turns out they really are.

Old 04-08-09, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, earlier I was going to say, "some made-up place like Young Harris", but I refrained so as not to start some Fla-Ga mudslinging; however since Chandler weighed in.......

How about French Lick, Indiana?

Old 04-08-09, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
How about French Lick, Indiana?
True place?

This might inspire me to get out my RM road atlas and browze through states looking for real, but strange named towns, that one might not believe could possibly be real.

Old 04-08-09, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
How about Intercourse, PA and Bird-in-Hand, PA, courtesy of the Amish in Lancaster, LOL!

Old 04-08-09, 06:37 PM
Everyone wants to know where "old Harris" is, so we tell them on the other side of that mountain. They go off looking and never return. That's OK. And not everyone can be a GatorHater.

Old 04-09-09, 09:25 AM
How about Excited State or Neurotic State?

Or State Your Name?

Or even the other name for Richmond...River City?

Old 04-09-09, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Back before most forums were internet based I did a lot of lurking on Usenet. I remember one debate on a computer oriented Usenet that devolved into threats. These being mostly sis-admins and such even without any local info one of the regulars was able to back track the posts and posted the exact address of the poster most disliked. Another regular posted that the address was close to Chicago where he often had four or five hour layovers between flights and that he knew some guys on the South Side who would be happy for couple of hundred dollars to help him educate the poster.

Not the only time I saw threads like that in Usenet.
While it is much more civilized here and there is moderation still it makes you think twice about giving to much info. Not that I don't agree locations are needed just giving another reason to be cautious.