Good Friday?

Old 04-13-09, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question Good Friday?

As an unreligious person I have a strange question about Good Friday. From what little I heard, Good Friday is the day Christ died. Why is that good? Don't mean to ruffle any feathers or offend anyone, but my mind went into a strange tangent this morning at work (mindless job) and came up with that question. Thank you much in advance for info.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Christ died to attone for our sins. That's what makes that day so important for Christians, of course that wouldn't mean a lot if he hadn't arose from the 'dead' 3 days later.

Old 04-13-09, 02:40 PM
NOP, no feathers ruffled! We are probably more at ease talking about it than you are asking about it, right? Oddly enough, it is not Christmas that is "the" holiday of the year, although without his birth nothing else matters. Easter symbolizes His triumph over death, and His resurrection as predicted by prophets dating well into the Old Testament days. Our belief in His resurrection is the basis of Christianity. Marksr, I ain't nitpicking, but I got corrected by a 4th grader so I have to pass it on. Christ didn't arise from the grave "3 days later", but "on the 3rd day". I got to thinking about it and the little twerp was right. If it had been "3 days later" Easter would be on Monday!
Anytime NOP, even via PM if you wish.

Old 04-13-09, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Oddly enough, it is not Christmas that is "the" holiday of the year,........
To retailers it is! And to people selling Christmas trees it is. And to people who decorate their houses with lights in and out, it is. And to people who do all that cooking it is. And to my family it is. We don't get together on Easter. Only Christmas.

Some of the family members get together for Thanksgiving. The 'holiday' for turkeys is on Christmas - and the 'holiday' for pigs is on Thanksgiving -as their odds of living on that day are better than the other way around.

Hunting for Easter eggs and baskets can be especially special for real little kids who are not olds enough to value expensive gifts. But when kids get to be old enough to want or demand expensive presents (think of that bratty girl who wanted everything in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory), I think they would pick opening Chyristmas presents to hunting for the Easter stuff.

Easter though perhaps has more church services for all the Lenten services and holy week -and people get to wear their Easter outfits. I think girls and women particularly like that aspect.

Old 04-13-09, 06:20 PM
Ec, I wasn't talking about the celebratory part of the holiday, such as trimming trees, etc. It is the meaning of the day, what it holds for mankind that makes it probably the most important Christian holiday of the year. I'm sort of glad it doesn't have all the pomp that Christmas does. I think it would take away from the sereneness of the day. Yeah, Christmas is for laughing, having fun, because, like all births, it is a great day! Easter defines the remainder of time.

Old 04-14-09, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"but I got corrected by a 4th grader"

Ya, you got to be carefull around those little twerps
A few years ago, after our grandson's kintergarden graduation ceremony and he found out I only graduated from high school and never had a kintergarden "graduation" he decided I wasn't as smart as he thought I was.... but this is from the kid that also wanted to know if there was color in the world when I was a little boy. How do you prove that? there aren't any color pictures, they were all black and white

Old 04-14-09, 04:51 AM
Eeeeww, he's right! We didn't have color back then. Except for the plastic sticky screen you pasted on the tube of your TV that prismatically fooled you into thinking you were seeing in colors. Tell me you don't remember that! Of course Arthur Godfrey's face was orange one time and green another, but it was in color.

Old 04-14-09, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I remember that although we didn't have it. When color tv came out, I had a friend down the road that had one.... green people, purple people - every color but the correct color

Because color tv was so bad in the beginning, I didn't get a color set until the early 80's. I was suprised at how much better they had gotten. When my kids were younger, I tried to get them to watch 'sergeant york' and 'no time for sergeants' and they balked because it wasn't in color.

Boy, we sure have gotten off track from good friday

Old 04-14-09, 02:56 PM
I'll drift further off track. How did you guys fare in the bad weather last week? East of Nashville got hit pretty bad.

Old 04-15-09, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It wasn't too bad here, we got a lot of wind and much needed rain. I think being tucked in the mountains helps us to avoid some of the really bad weather. My wife has one of those old steel gliders that the wind blew about 10' across the yard and I have a few more downed pine trees but they are some of the ones that are infected with whatever bug it is that's been killing the pines around here. I'm not sure if it's the same one that's killing the hemlocks in the national forest.

Old 04-15-09, 10:37 AM
I just thought the name should be changed to Bad Friday.

Old 04-15-09, 11:18 AM
NOP, not really. It isn't a "bad" day. It is the day all sins were atoned for. Yes, Christ had to die, but the results of His death vindicated forever all the sins of mankind, making it a really "good" day.
Marksr, Pine powder post beetle. Deadly to pines. But they can't fly from downed trees, only standing ones. That is why you see alot of clear cuts in pine forests. The wooly algedid is the nemisis of the hemlock. We have a 40 foot one in my front yard that has the infestation. Matter of time.

Search this Thread