Are you prepared for an EMP attack?

Old 04-16-09, 07:14 PM
Are you prepared for an EMP attack?

Electromagnetic Pulse generated from a Nuclear bomb detonated over the central US can cripple our power grids, food supply, medical, fresh water, transportation and communications and National Security.

Statistics say within one year 90% of all Americans would be dead.........I beg to differ but what do I know.

What would you and your families do to survive since there is no way Uncle Sam would be able to help. We will be on our own for food and water at the least.

Think Katrina X100..........hmmmmm.......gottcha thinking...?

There is real evidence that Iran wants to pop one off over our heads and they're getting closer to being able to accomplish that.

Because it detonates in the atmosphere it has a broad and expansive effect as to one that is detonated on the ground.

Can you dig a well by yourself with a shovel....?
Can you eat squirrel for dinner every night.....?

Again.......just making you think..........

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-09, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just for the sake of argument, how would it get past NORAD?

Old 04-16-09, 07:24 PM
Not sure I understand how NORAD works......I know what it is but...........what if one gets through........?

Who would have believed that 911 could happen prior to 9/11/2001....?

Old 04-17-09, 02:42 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just for the sake of argument, how would it get past NORAD?
Probably the same way millions of kilos of dope make it into this country every year. Then you rent a small plane at a general aviation airport, load it on board, and the rest is history...history written on paper not a computer.

Old 04-17-09, 05:34 AM
I just believe a bomb of a size to do that much damage wouldn't fit in a pick up truck, and should be readily seen by the border agents at the crossing points. And a Cessna wouldn't get airborne with it. Delivery would be very difficult. "Hey, Bubba Achmed, just push that thing out the door!" But, nothing is beyond our secure borders. After all as a population, we are buying fully automatic weapons, RPG's, hand grenades, etc. from our local gun dealers and shipping them via FedEx to Mexico. I guess that's how it works, not sure.

Old 04-17-09, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
But it could be made in pieces and shipped to, the US for assemble here. DC3s from what I read are still in use for cargo and an empty DC3 flying into the US would not raise a flag but of course all guess.

(Sorry no cite.) Years ago a truck driver from Mexico passing through the gates into a nuclear facility in the southwestern US set off radiation detectors.. His delivery was supposed to be just everyday non radioactive freight.

Turns out it was a load of steel table legs. The table legs as it turned out had been made from scrap iron salvaged from a medical treatment machine that some one forgot to remove the isotopes from before hauling to the dump. The isotopes got melted into the steel. Point is highly radioactive material was hauled in to the US from Mexico and only discovered by accident. Makes hauling it in intentionally not seem so impossible.

Old 04-17-09, 02:15 PM
Fear mongering...........

Old 04-17-09, 04:51 PM
nap
well, to begin with, for a nuke to be utilized as an EMP, it would have to be detonated at an altitude around 130,000 feet. Kind of out of the range of your run of the mill Cessna, or any aircraft.

That means the only way to deliver a nuke as an emp would be via missile. The last time I checked, Iran did not have the ability to launch a missile that could reach the US.

Then, we do have some defenses. Nobody really knows how effective they are since they have never been tested in a real world scenario but a couple have been tested successfully in a controlled situation.

There are also safeguards available for a system (Faraday cages) susceptible to the actual EMP. Fusing helps prevent catastrophic damage to electrical equipment that is susceptible to power line surges. Rather than thinking Katrina, think mideast blackout of 2003 and that was with the operators being able to see the problems coming. With an EMP dump, the damage would happen so quickly that unless the grid protection functioned properly, it could continue nearly across the country. If it takes out fusing only, it would be repairable in a relatively short time but if it takes out transformers and major switch gear (very likely) we could be without power in large areas for months, maybe into years to make things fully functional.

Just in case nobody is aware that there have been tests of EMPs, you might look up "starfish" and "test 184".

So, what happens IF we are EMPed? A lot of chaos.

I doubt the suggestion of 90% dead within a year would be likely. I don't even see a real reason for great numbers of dead at all. We are a resourceful bunch of folks.

we shall overcome should the need arise.

Old 04-18-09, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
There is a line from an old country song, "A country boy would survive." Plenty of people still close enough to their rural roots they could grow their own food and hunt. Older farm tractors and trucks wouldn't be affected by EMPS because nothing electronic. Diesels don't even need electric to run.

Old 04-18-09, 08:23 AM
Fear mongering?..........call it what you will. You may not it like but this is a reality.

Nap....you are correct, it must be delivered by a missle at high altitude......not from a pickup truck or a Cesna.
Ray, you are also correct about older tractors and diesels.
That's why I'm keeping the original points ingnition system in my '67 Mustang.
Iran is on there way to developing an ICBM (Inter Continental Ballistic Missle)that can reach the United States........it's only a matter of time. North Korea allready has nukes.

The purpose of this post was not to debate weather or not the Easter Bunny exists or doesn't exist ( BTW...he does exist) but rather to provoke you to think how ready WE the people of the United States are if we suffered a catastrophic attack that crippled our power grids for an extended period of time.......6 months or even a year or two.
Think for moment how dependent WE are on digital electronics and how our our daily lives are supported by microprocessors.
These would be rendered useless in seconds and catapult us back to the 1700's.

Go ahead and Google EMP and see what you find.........

Last edited by Mackey; 04-18-09 at 09:27 AM.