Cleaning solution

Old 04-19-09, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question Cleaning solution

At the theater I clean, I use a cleaning solution for the bathrooms that contains a chemical that kills the HIV virus. I just wondered why it wouldn't be used for a medicine for people with this condition. It also kills bloodborne pathogens and I believe (funny how the word lie is in that word isn't it?) that it kills rhinovirus too. Granted something like 98% of the solution is made of inert ingredients, it just make me wonder why the ingedient that kills HIV isn't in a medication that is widely available.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Bleach, pure alcohol, muriatic acid, high temp steam, etc, etc...all kill most germs and such. I don't want any of them being administered to me!

Ever seen someone in a cancer treatment..the treatment almost always damages/kills good cells/tissue in addition to the target.

Old 04-19-09, 04:07 PM
The ingredient isn't anything you mentioned. It has a long name which I cannot remember off the top of my head and the solution doesn't irritate skin when it is accidentally sprayed on it, or leave a nasty scent like bleach. If you smoke, watch out for bleach on hands. The bleach goes into the skin and you can taste it easily in cigarettes. The smoke has almost a chemical burning feeling and makes name brand cigarettes taste worse than generics.

Old 04-19-09, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Killings germs/viruses on surfaces is a whole lot different from killing them in the human body.

Old 04-19-09, 07:10 PM
The HIV virus won't remain viable on an environmental surface for very long. I think only an hour or so. Surfactants are thousands of times more potent than that which the human body can take. So, NOP, don't be drinking the stuff, OK?

Old 04-20-09, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
....and what good is any treatment that succesfully cures the disease if it kills the patient in the process

Old 04-20-09, 03:35 PM
Why on earth would I drink it? There is a soda fountain there and I do have a key for it, not sure if I'm not supposed to or not, but the water from the fountain is heavily chlorinated. At home I have well water so I am not used to feeling like I am drinking a swimming pool. I got their key copied when they left it out one day at a small hardware store, not HD. They have an actual locksmith making keys at this place in Groton CT. If you ever are ever in the area, the locksmith is at the True Value next to the Dairy Queen on RTE 1. I showed the soda fountain key to the guy at HD and he said he never saw a key like that before. It looks a bit like a double sided padlock key.

The chemicals in this stuff are :

n-Alkyl (68%C14,30%C16, 5%C12, and 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides .105%

nAlkyl (68%C12, 32%C14) dimethyl ethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides .105%

There rest 99.79% of the solution is inert ingredients. It works a lot better than windex when it comes to antibaterial liquid soap buildup on the countertops and sinks. By the way I doubt that most of us have never heard of these chemicals.

Search this Thread