Cold charcoal ash?

Old 04-27-09, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cold charcoal ash?

Is there any practical use for cold charcoal ash? Just started grilling a few days ago and want to find what it can be used for. I would take it to my town dump, but they will not accept it even 2 months after it was used. By the way, does anyone remember the plug in charcoal fire starters? I found an old one in my boss's basement when organizing it. He thought it was used for cleaning motorcycle parts. It is much easier than remembering that you forgot to buy lighter fluid. Got an old Weber from a guy I did a job for. He had just bought a huge gas grill and asked if I wanted the Weber. Thank you much for any input!!

May the grilling taste great!!!!!!

Beer 4U2 for drinking while watching the fire!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-09, 02:26 PM
Got a garden? If so then just dump the ashes there. If not, put the ashes in a paper bag and tape it shut. Don't tell anyone they are charcoal briquette ashes when you put them in the garbage or take them to the dump.

Yes, I remember the electric charcoal lighters. Took about ten minutes just to get the briquettes lit and then another ten to twenty minutes to get them hot. I wouldn't have a charcoal barbecue if you gave me a gold-plated one.

Old 04-27-09, 02:49 PM
I once saw a friend pour gas onto charcoal to light it. Lost my appetite after I saw that. I don't need gasoline fumes in my food

Old 04-27-09, 02:56 PM
Charcoal lighter fluid is kereosene.Not much difference.There are no fumes since it all burns off way ahead of you grilling on it.

Using gas is risky though.Far more explosive.

Old 04-27-09, 03:11 PM
Gotta admit that spraying cooking spray on the hot coals is kinda fun. I use it mostly for the grill for a non-stick surface. It is easier than cleaning it every time. I guess you could call me a bit old-school since I prefer charcoal over propane.

Old 04-27-09, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Using gas is risky though.Far more explosive.
You mean this isn't a good idea? :

Old 04-27-09, 03:57 PM
LMFAO at the Tow Guy's pictures

Old 04-27-09, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
I use a chimney device for lighting charcoal. Takes a while to light but works well. You stuff paper in the bottom and charcoal in the top. Your suppose to use newspaper but I can't help but wonder what is in the ink. After all I use it to avoid fumes from charcoal lighter fluid. Instead I save lightly used papers towels, let dry if damp, and burn those. Guess you could call that recycling since I'm getting a second use out of the paper towels.

As to gas it does have other uses. When I was growing up I remember the newspaper story of a wife whose husband had gotten a job as a roofer. The wife decided the best way to get the tar off his clothes was to wash them in the bathtub with gasoline. The water heater was in the bathroom. The water heater was gas and like all water heaters back then had a pilot light. Really kids don't try this at home. Can't remember if the wife survived or not, the house didn't.

Old 04-27-09, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Wasn't gasoline, though; JP-4 (Mark - HotinOKC - will know what that is )

Old 04-27-09, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Isn't JP4 one grade lower then JP5? I think a lot of people confuse JP with AvGas. AvGas now that's wicked. Have to fill the storages tanks with CO2 as it's transfered but JP is just extra fancy Diesel and diesel is extra fancy fuel oil and fuel oil is extra fancy NSFO. Then there is black oil, the stuff the old Navy oiler I was on burned. Deck apes loved to freak out the new guys by tossing lit cigarettes into open black oil tanks.

Old 04-28-09, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't say it's one grade lower, just a different formulation. Extra fancy kerosene would be a better comparison; it's not oily like diesel. The JP-5 is essentially for shipboard operation because it has a higher flashpoint, ergo less likely to start a Forrestal fire. Jet engines will run on either although some have to be configured via a selector for extended operation when switching.

BTW, the guy in the photo was doing a classified material destruction "in the field".

Old 04-28-09, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Got me. Yes ,JP is extra fancy kerosene. Should have proofread. We almost always ran or diesels on JP5 and I doubt they were specially configured. Heck, they probably predated JP. One we couldn't even get parts for from Navy Supply. We had to go to the local Detroit Diesel dealer.

Old 04-28-09, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty common to fuel the diesel-engined ground support equipment with JP. You a NavAir guy, Ray?

Old 04-28-09, 06:49 PM
I bought one of those hoop type electric starters for my charcoal bbq (Kingsford) just 3 years ago.. so they still make em.

I didnt mind loading up the charcoal, the fluid (or the electric.. but had to keep up on the fluid skills.. lest be caught off guard at some park/etc with no electricity ! ).
I spread the ash out over any of my lawn parts that were in need of some help (is it nitrogen thats in that ? I forget ..something that plants like anyhow)
For taste.. nothin beats coals. You wouldnt see 'pro' rib guys cooking on propane, I wouldnt think.

A coupla yrs ago I won a nice big propane bbq. So I said.. ah, screw it.. and put the charcoal unit away

Sure is easier to just turn the valve and push a button.. ha

Old 04-29-09, 10:30 AM
Added benefit of charcoal is marshmallows afterwards. I think it would look very dweeby to roast marshmallows on a propane grille.

Old 04-29-09, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Pretty common to fuel the diesel-engined ground support equipment with JP. You a NavAir guy, Ray?
No, support ships in the early seventies. These were very old merchant ships first used by the Navy in WWII, mothballed, hauled out for Korea, mothballed, hauled out for Viet Nam. First was a reffer, that was once a banana boat for United Fruit and Second was an ex Standard Oil of New Jersey oil tanker.

Old 05-01-09, 06:35 PM
Strickland Propane........"I Sell Propane and Propane Accessories".

"Butane Is A Bast..d Gas" Hank Hill

Old 05-01-09, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Added benefit of charcoal is marshmallows afterwards. I think it would look very dweeby to roast marshmallows on a propane grille.
Oh....oh......oh.......you can roast marshmallows on a gas grill and it's not dweeby. I agree it may not be traditional but dweeby?......nawwww.

Old 05-01-09, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
You can make soap with bacon grease and ashes.

Old 05-01-09, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You can make soap with bacon grease and ashes.
Ya know, the economy and all that.. still though.. I dont think the wife is gonna go for this. Ill eat the bacon and supply the ashes though...

WRT the charcoal BBQ's.. I never did try 'Cheese Racing' before I retired the coal bbq.. I meant to, just didnt get around to it. You can google up some videos etc on it. After cooking, you take some wrapped processed cheese slices and slap em on the grill with the plastic still on. As long as you're still in the 100-160f range, the plastic will not melt, but the cheese will boil and expand the wrap package like crazy. The winner is the person who laid the slice package that expands the most w/o leaking out etc.
I wouldnt do it on my propane bbq, risk of a load of cheese on my burners.. but with charcoal.. its gonna be tossed anyhow, so why not ? lol Beer 4U2

Old 05-01-09, 09:26 PM
Is there any practical use for cold charcoal ash? Just started grilling a few days ago and want to find what it can be used for. I would take it to my town dump, but they will not accept it even 2 months after it was used. By the way, does anyone remember the plug in charcoal fire starters? I found an old one in my boss's basement when organizing it. He thought it was used for cleaning motorcycle parts. It is much easier than remembering that you forgot to buy lighter fluid. Got an old Weber from a guy I did a job for. He had just bought a huge gas grill and asked if I wanted the Weber. Thank you much for any input!!

May the grilling taste great!!!!!!

Beer 4U2 for drinking while watching the fire!!
whats the big deal about charcoal dust. its just wood ash. that's all charcoal is is wood ash pressed together into a brick shape. no different then burning wood in your fireplace. just toss it in the trash can. i line my BBQ with foil and i reuse the brickets that are still good. stretches out the bag cause i don't need to add as much new coal.

Old 05-04-09, 03:17 PM
My town dump takes brush and burns it, the funny thing is they wont take firewood.

Old 05-04-09, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
I may be wrong on this..but a small amount of ash is ok. I know wood ash could be used to make lye IIRC, which is very alkaline. I personally wouldn't dump too much ash of any sort all in one place.

Old 05-04-09, 04:29 PM
nightowlpunk,

You must live in a neighborhood with postage stamp yards and neighbors packed in around you like sardines?

I just dumped my grill in the bordering field yesterday, speaking of the devil - and much of it dispersed in the wind. And I was not even trying to have that happen. I bet that if I had flung it in the air, nothing hardly would have rained back down on me. All my briquettes burned all the way up to like talcum powder. Not one piece of solid was left.

Old 05-04-09, 04:51 PM
One word.....PROPANE.

/thread closed.

Old 05-04-09, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Hah..not really closed...as was said somewhere..."Propane and propane accessories"..lol

I know..its a sin for real grillers...

Old 05-05-09, 02:23 PM
I would have to guess that the average lot on my street is 3/4 acre. There is a rod and gun club about 500 yards from my house. Town has 1 resident trooper, no stoplights and one gas station. All this and only about 3 minutes from the highway.

Old 10-05-09, 10:29 PM
ashes

I would have to guess that the average lot on my street is 3/4 acre. There is a rod and gun club about 500 yards from my house. Town has 1 resident trooper, no stoplights and one gas station. All this and only about 3 minutes from the highway.
now that sounds like a heavenly location. I am located in a slightly less country area so I dump my ashes in the cracks that usually develop in the ground around here in the summer as the ground dries out. I use only lump charcoal or charcoal briquets, and I use a chimney starter with newspaper (no lighter fluid) so I don't think I'm polluting anything...

Old 10-05-09, 11:09 PM
I just bury it in dirt around the yard or else just chuck it in the garbage.

I'm a charcoal guy but my 30 year old charcoal bbq didn't come with on my last move. I have a natural gas bbq but will be getting an charcoal unit now that I built my deck.

Charcoal tastes the best no doubt, plus I have an excuse to drink a couple rye and Dr Pepper while I'm waiting for everything to get done. Only thing I don't like on coal is steak cause I like my steak super-rare and thats not what charcoal is about.