Personal meaning of irony

Old 04-27-09, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Personal meaning of irony

I have a strange personal meaning for the definition of irony. I have given 27 pints of blood over the past 15 years even though I HATE needles. I have had some gaps in donating, such as body piercing and sickness otherwise I would be over 4 gallons by now.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 03:24 PM
I began donating back in 1968, but of recent times I prefer apheresis. You'd doubly hate it. They stick garden hoses in both arms, take your blood, circulate it through a machine, remove the white blood cells, and return it to your body. You don't lose any volume like you do with direct donation. For a normal person the process takes about 1 1/2 hours for a single donation. For some unknown reason, I can do a double donation in 30 minutes. I never have a problem making an appointment. They usually slip me in when not too busy. The white cells are used for cancer patients that can't make them adequately enough. You will rebuild them in a few hours.
Great to hear you donate!!

Old 04-28-09, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Back in the 70's I would donate plasma in between blood donations...maybe the same as what chandler mentioned. That sucked back then...cause they would draw the blood, take it back and centrifuge it, then come back and put the red cells back in. Problem was they had cooled off..felt like ice water going back in.

Hey..it was gas money...lol

Old 04-29-09, 04:59 AM
Yep, that's it. I forgot about them packing you with blankets. Hey, we're giving NOP the willies just talking about the needles and stuff.

Old 04-29-09, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Would love to give some of my B-, but two six month deployments to Italy in the 90's puts me on the exclusion list due to threat of mad cow. Moo.

Old 04-29-09, 10:24 AM
I have done the double doantions before for red blood cells. My type is O- , so the Red Cross is on me like white on rice. I never make appointments due to the fact my boss is very last minute with extra jobs after cleaning the theater. I also will not donate on a bus. The one time I donated on a bus, I had to crawl out because I am too tall to walk in it and got sick of everyone asking if I had a problem, not to mention the cots on the bus are not made for people 6'5" or 6", not exactly sure how tall I am.