Pontiac Rest In Peace

Old 04-27-09, 05:33 PM
Pontiac Rest In Peace

Pontiac,once a great automotive brand,is fading into the sunset.Now mostly sporty Chevys,it is being sacrificed to save GM.That said in it's last days it once again came out with a great car,The Holden based G8.The G8 GXP is destined to become a collector car.

I never owned a Pontiac but like most I knew people who did.I lusted for a Firebird and a GTO.

This article is about ten great products,there were more but this is a good list.

Jalopnik - The Ten Greatest Pontiacs - Death Of Pontiac

Hey Pontiac,do a burn out on your way into history.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-09, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
My first car was a Pontiac. I was sorry to hear they won't be around anymore. I haven't seen one in years anyway, since there are no Pontiac dealers anywhere near me.
Come to think of it, almost every car I ever owned went into extinction!

Old 04-28-09, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I just can't believe they are getting rid of Pontiac and keeping Buick. That makes no sense at all.

And now Chystler will be owned by the UAW.......gosh.......

Old 04-28-09, 04:00 PM
Pontiac Rest In Peace

Toyota will just sit back and wait to see if there is a bankruptcy or the the unions find a way to eliminate the contract negotiated benefits for retired employees that will kill GM.

Toyota pays more for labor per hour on the check in the U.S., but does not have the noose of the overhead that GM has. Based on percentages, GM has a $30+ extra labor cost per hour worked and it only get higher as jobs are cut. - The days of the old fashioned union contracts and benefits are gone.

If the UAW can get legal permission to gain a piece of Chrysler, that only only make things worse for GM, since they will be obligated to maintain the old guaranteed retirement benefits for Chrysler and then GM will not have a chance to get out of the retirement/benefits "pickle" they are in unless they declare bankruptcy.

Ford started to see the light years ago, so they are not involved in the Obama bailout, because of prudent long term planning. The sale of Jaguar and Rover to Tata of India for cash (or gold) avoided the financial woes that GM & Chrysler are seeing.

Every day that goes by, Toyota and Hyundai cars made in the U.S. are getting a bigger market share and the dealers will get stronger to take over the closed GM and Chrysler dealerships.

Toyota could also appreciate the gain IF they took GM because GM does have some name and presence in Asia, while Chrysler has none. Even Daimler did not want to keep Chrysler.

Fiat is still on the Chrysler list of possible purchasers because they have the cash and the international connections in Europe ( Spain/Seat, Russia/Lada, etc.), but few people would buy their Ferrari or Lamborghini from a Chrysler dealer.

Dick

Old 04-29-09, 03:47 PM
I personally am not in the market for a new car, but it made me wonder why anybody would buy a GM vehicle considering the financial trouble they are in. I was thinking parts availability would be an issue if GM closed their doors permanently.

On the CBS evening news a few nights ago, I heard that European countries were crushing cars that were more than 9 years old and giving massive tax breaks toward the purchase of new cars. This seems disgusting to me. My VW is from '95, has just hit 219K and still runs great. Considering the way I drive, I find it amazing that I still get 22mpg.

Old 04-29-09, 05:11 PM
GM is not going away though it will be forever changed.In typical too little too late fashion,they are building better product than ever and some of the better considered cars.

Chrysler is another thing.They may not survive and even if they do as a part of Fiat it will be years before they are viable.

Thing is there is a slim possibility that out of the ashes could come a great car company.Fiat is also chasing after GM's stake in Opel which is known for good cars in europe and has provided the basis of some Saturns and some Buicks.

If you had a company that had the combined technologies of Chrysler,Fiat and Opel you'd have possibly a real contender...but it's a long shot at this point.

Old 04-29-09, 05:35 PM
Too bad, out of the American vehicles I have owned in the past, the ones I have had the best luck with are Dodge trucks.

Old 04-29-09, 07:12 PM
Pontiac Rest In Peace

nightowl -

In Europe (especially Switzerland and Germany) they do not allow cars on the road that we allow in the U.S. because of absolute inspections. - If you did not want your mother, wife or kids in it at 160 k/hr, the inspector will reject it.

In Switzerland and parts of Germany. when you bring a car in for inspection, if something is found (rust, tires or brakes, etc.) it is just a matter of fixing it or trying to drive it away. Inspection reports are sent out immediately to prevent trying to find another inspection place, but few will disagree with the first report, so a sticker for next 6 months or year will not be given. If your car is driven without a current sticker it will be impounded and the stickers are resistant to windshield theft just to get a sticker, like they tried to do in Virginia when I lived there.

The Europeans are "car crazy" and are serious drivers with both hands on the wheel because of the speeds and close spacing (160 km/hr and 40' or 2 car lengths apart). That is why the cars last so long - they are taken care of or not driven. It is also the reason so many Mercedes with 400,000 miles are taxis in Germany.

There is a strong link with with GM and Opel. Not all Opels are what people here see here. The Cadillac Catera was an Opel and the CTS is basically Opel the GM has a hard time keeping up with the technology that they tried to downgrade.

You should drive a VW V8 that is not available in the U.S. My 1966 VW (Type III) was a great car, but that was different era.

There are many European cars that are American sized with great performance and superior quality, but they will not release them to the U.S. If Fiat did get Chrysler, that would be an acceptable way to get into the U.S. since they have plants in many other countries. That may also be a stimulus for the Japanese to build a car that did not rust out, since European car are more resistant.

I wish I still had my Type III fastback VW (316) because of the unique approach to simply solve the engineering, but was not as good mpg-wise as many of the new cars.

Old 04-29-09, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had two Pontiacs years ago. My favorite was a '55 StarChief convertible. I had some exterior customizing done along with a candy apple red metallic paint job. A '57 tri Power manifold with three Ford 97 carbs and mechanical linkage, a Mallory duel point ignition, a blocked dual range hydro tranny and a pair of deep mellow tone glass pack mufflers. Loved that car.
The other was a '64 Tempest. An innovative but poor 4 cylinder power plant made by blocking off one bank of a V8 when it was cast. The engine would try to run backwards when shut down and eat a timing chain about every 10-15K miles. It did have independent suspension and a transaxle but was basically a beater - and that was fresh from the showroom.

Old 05-01-09, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
IThe other was a '64 Tempest. An innovative but poor 4 cylinder power plant made by blocking off one bank of a V8 when it was cast. The engine would try to run backwards when shut down and eat a timing chain about every 10-15K miles. It did have independent suspension and a transaxle but was basically a beater - and that was fresh from the showroom.

Wasn't a '64 Tempest and '64 Buick Slylark the 2 cars in question in the movie "My Cousin Vinnie"?
Yes.....the company that produced America's 1st production muscle car has gone the way of Hudson, Packard and DeSoto.
Fairwell Pontiac........
BTW I'm a Buick man.........."Go Fast With Class"

Maybe General Motors should be called Chevrolet Motors......that's about the only general thing about them anymore.

Old 05-02-09, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Golly, I thought their name was being changed to 'government motors'

Old 05-02-09, 10:12 AM
Nobody yet realizes it but Fiat in trying to build itself into another GM.With Chrysler and the peice of Opel they are going after,assuming they get it,they'll have a formidable assortment that would compete with anyone within a few years.