First date/meet

Old 05-01-09, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question First date/meet

Howdy!

I met someone on an online dating site. We have been chatting online and texting on our cells ( I could cheerfully strangle the guy who invented text messaging). I really hope she and I meet. Would a couple of white roses be appropriate for this or would a different color or different flower be better? I wouldn't pick carnations because to me, they look cheap. BTW I DO NOT mean roses from a gas station. Thank you much in advance for input.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 05-01-09 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-09, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
NO NO NO...not on the first meet. It will scare her. If you want to have a little arrangement in the car (or left at the front desk of the restaurant) to give her after (if it goes well)..that would be different...then she'd think you were thoughtful and well organized (advance planning).

If you would like to impress her at the meeting...be well groomed, have a manicure, get a haircut 3-4 days before (they can tell) and maybe a nice single lilly (like a stargazer) in a small bud vase. But have the staff bring it to her...I'm presuming it will be lunch or early dinner....

Trust me..it worked every time for me...and I've been married 3 times. LOL

Old 05-01-09, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
I think yellow roses would be nice. Yellow is a cheery, sunny, friendly color. White makes me think of death for some reason and red's for when things are more serious.

Old 05-01-09, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Oops, listen to Gunguy! If you go with roses in the near future, yellow instead of white.

Old 05-01-09, 06:03 PM
Here's the site that tells the significance of rose colors.

What the color of a rose signifies.

Old 05-01-09, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
"White roses represent innocence and purity"...ok..NOP is out of the running...lol

J/k! jeez..everyone relax...lol

Still say...roses are the wrong choice for the first meet/date.

Old 05-01-09, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
I agree; save them for after. I sent my (future) wife flowers at her job after about our third or fourth date; carnations, I believe, in an arrangement. I'm sure it wasn't roses which, to me, implies a more intimate relationship. [1 wife, 30 years in October]

Old 05-02-09, 03:09 PM
Thank y'all much. If we do meet it will be friends first with a possible LTR to follow.

Old 05-02-09, 04:36 PM
nap
well, since the wife and I hit the big "too" this year, I haven't had to worry about flowers for a long time (as long as you don't count the time I somehow caused the pressure cooker to explode resulting in bean paint everywhere but that is another story).

Personally, it may be because I am old but I think a single rose would be quite appropriate and not at all a sing of rushing things. That is of course assuming you and she like roses. If you believe a rose to be a sign of too much intimacy, might I suggest a grouping of daffodils.

It (or I) may be old fashioned but it was typical to bring a flower when presenting oneself for a date at one time.

Dang folks, I remember hearing a couple younger folks talking about dating. They seemed to feel if you didn't have sex by about the 3rd date, there must be a problem and you guys are worried about a rose being overly suggestive? I don't see it.

Oh, btw, the reason it is the big "two" and not the big "2" is because it hasn't been 2 or 20 years but "too long"

just kidding. That is an old joke I used to use when introducing my wife (not a smart one but funny, to most. not the wife, but most others. definitely not the wife).

I would not bring a bouquet but merely a flower or two, depending on which flower you bring.

Old 05-02-09, 05:01 PM
I am 34. I used to think sex by third date. I have undergone a mental sea change since then and want more than bedroom games. I didn't mention flowers to her yet. I have a feeling that she is really special though, and do not want to do anything to risk screwing up a relationship before it gets off the ground. I thought a white rose or two meant friendship.

Old 05-02-09, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
By 3rd date? Man you guys are old...lol...jeez, guess I was in the Navy too long.... Or growing up in the 60's and 70's just did me in.....

Ok..I guess we should move away from that train of thought.

Old 05-04-09, 09:23 AM
She and I will never meet. She had no problems with the areas I expected to be trouble like my crazy work hours or my living with a roommate, but had a problem with me drinking rarely, like less than once a month and not to get drunk. Thank you once again for the replies.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 05-04-09 at 09:25 AM. Reason: same as usual
Old 05-06-09, 12:46 AM
I am sorry for you, nightowlpunk. She seems to be very picky and not the right woman for you. Keep your eyes open and I think you'll find one that can handle your lifestyle and your rare drinking Beer 4U2

Old 05-06-09, 04:14 AM
NOP, don't give up, buddy!! You can't see all the fish for the reflection off the water. I met my wife country dancing. Never would have imagined. I didn't go there to try and get hooked up, but to enjoy a passion. Sure there was drinking going on (heck it wasn't a redneck fight bar, but quite classy), BUT, if you are serious about your dancing, you can't dance drunk.....think about it. So of all the girls I danced with, it seemed special about us and the commonaility of our goals.
She's out there...just keep casting.

Old 05-06-09, 09:14 AM
Not giving up, but on a funny side note I dance better after I have a few drinks. Probably because I lose some inhibitions after drinking. Actually joined a mostly free dating site.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-06-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 11:55 AM
Hang in there NOP, you'll find Ms. Right just when you least expect it. If she had that serious of a problem with you having an occasional drink, then it sounds like she has impossibly high standards and there would have been more issues later. I'm guessing you may have dodged the bullet here, but as a confirmed bachelor myself, I may not the best guy to be giving dating advice.

Old 05-07-09, 02:43 AM
NOP, if drinking once a month isn't enough, then she may have been trouble anyway

Old 05-07-09, 08:51 AM
That sounds like my dad, who managed to kill a 5 liter box of wine every week when I was still talking to him. I admit I have had days in which I drank 20 ounces of forzen Peachtree, but those days are behind me I hope.

When she told me that I didn't drink enough, it reminded me of a line from a classic rock song by Jethro Tull. The song was "Bungle in the Jungle" and the line was "drunk every Friday, eating their nuts and saving their raisins for Sunday". BTW that is my fave Jethro Tull song. It reminds me so much of human life.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 05-07-09 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-07-09, 12:22 PM
OK -- now I get it! She was unhappy because you didn't drink often enough! When I read your post, I thought you meant she had a problem because you drank at all, like once a month or less was still too much! It sounds like she is a partier and thought you'd be too boring without drinking more. I still think you dodged the bullet, NOP. Beer 4U2

Old 05-07-09, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe it was my first wife and she moved to Conn from CA...lol. Yeah, you dodged more than a bullet.....

Old 05-07-09, 03:47 PM
She is 30, according to her profile and 5'3". Being 6'5" or6" kissing could have been an interesting trick.

Old 05-07-09, 06:36 PM
Nope, couldn't have been GG's wife. Maybe his grandaughter!

Old 05-07-09, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Hey now..I'm not decrepit! Only 51 (and semi-retired...HAH!)