Not much to say.

Old 05-08-09, 09:24 PM
Not much to say.

I don't have a rant or a political discussion. Just a picture.
I just thought I would share a pic of one of my birds with yall.

TravisBeer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-09, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
You work for NBC?

[Have to be pretty old to understand the connection]

Old 05-09-09, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Beautiful bird!! My wife used to have a flock of them in her neighborhood in Orlando. They were awesome to watch.

Old 05-09-09, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Do you really have these as pets?

Here is a pic of a Sandhill Crane we got last weekend that is also trying to impress a date.

Old 05-09-09, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
Nice bird! My brother likes to sneak up to them and poke them in the butt when they are like that. They don't seam to mind.

Old 05-09-09, 07:12 AM
Sadly, I remember the NBC thing.

Yes do I raise them, I don't know if I would call them pets. They pretty much go where they want. This is the best time of year to have them. Its mating time, and all the males are in full feathers.

The one in the pic is the oldest one i have, and he is in charge. I have around 20 birds. Between the racoon's and rat snakes, they are hard to raise.

Here is a pic of my biggest problems.

Old 05-09-09, 10:47 AM
Isn't it the peacock that makes that jungle sound, you hear in the movies?

Old 05-09-09, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Yep..they can be some noisy critters!

http://www.naturesongs.com/peaf2.wav

Hers one looking for love...
YouTube - Peacock Mating Call

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-09-09 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-09-09, 11:12 AM
It's illegal to kill the snakes? I would anyway due to my phobia of them.

Old 05-09-09, 01:22 PM
I don't kill the snakes. I catch them and take them down the road and turn them lose.

Old 05-09-09, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...when they aren't around the house..they take care of other critters. I never kill snakes or spiders if I can avoid it. They provide more benefit if left to do their thing. My wife hates that I will catch black widows and throw 'em out into the ally or the vacant property around the corner.

Cockroaches and flies are another matter!! That's why I try to keep the spiders around.

Old 05-09-09, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
It's illegal to kill the snakes? I would anyway due to my phobia of them.
Probably depends on the state, in tenn it's illegal to kill a snake

I usually leave them alone but if I don't know it to be nonpoisonous and it doesn't leave - I kill it....or I get gone

I also remember the NBC peacock..... and why they had to quit using it. I don't remember when [maybe 70's] but a small tv station in texas [I think] had the peacock for their logo and NBC told them to quit using it. They refused, NBC sued and the little tv station proved they had been using that logo longer than NBC and NBC had to quit using it

Old 05-09-09, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
How cool raising peacocks. They're SO pretty. I have to go the Zoo to see them. Now the snakes are another story! I'm glad I have to go the Zoo to see them.

I don't kill spiders, thousand-leggers, ladybugs or praying mantis's. Did you know the little praying mantis is the male, and only good for one thing , and when they're done, the large female eats him for dinner, LOL! Just like the black widow. Beer 4U2

Old 05-09-09, 02:23 PM
Thanks gunguy. I listened. Now I can't seem to shut that bird off!

Marksr,

I liked to skid into rattlesnakes. That does them in. Makes mincemeat out of them.

Old 05-09-09, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
marksr......sounds good but I'm not so sure about that story...lol.

They still use the peacock..its just a lot more..ummm stylized? modern? updated?

NBC logos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ecman yer wasting some good meat doing that....aim for the head, then keep the rest. Great grilled on a stick.

Old 05-09-09, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
."sounds good but I'm not so sure about that story"

I remember following the story in the newspaper. Best I remember, a small town local tv station used the peacock and when NBC found out about it, they kindly asked them to quit using it. The little tv station said we had it first but we don't mind you using it too. NBC took them to court and lost.

Old 05-09-09, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh ok mark...gotcha now...didn't make NBC quit...but the little station didn't either...I see now. I just read it wrong.

Old 05-09-09, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly, NBC had to quit using the same peacock logo the little staion had. I think that was when NBC modified their peacock logo...... but that was a long time ago and I have trouble remembering yesterday - at times

Old 05-09-09, 04:21 PM
And those aren't -repeat- aren't rat snakes. Rat snakes are black with a little white on their belly. Look like water moccasins. Rat snakes are your friend, these guys could prove to be ugly.

Old 05-09-09, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, maybe not GA rat snake...but sure looks like this....its a Texas Rat snake according to the website...

Heres the main page...Google Image Result for http://z.hubpages.com/u/101887_f520.jpg

From what I saw..just in the US..they can run from yellow to very green to all black..and just about everything in between.

Old 05-09-09, 07:32 PM
I just caught this little sucker tonight on top of my dog house.

I have found that, around here anyway, the females are bigger and lighter in color, and the males are smaller, and with a darker shade.
So far this year, I have found only females.

I ware the gloves because, when they are scared, they let off a smell that is very hard to wash off your hands, and man is it funky!!

Old 05-09-09, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Hers one looking for love...
YouTube - Peacock Mating Call

They make that sound all times of the year.
The only difference in them around breading time, is the males fight a lot.
Any kind of bang or loud sound will make them start to holler, or scream as some of my neighbors call it. They can hear deeper sounds than people. When there is a storm coming, and they start doing there hollering, I know there is going to be a lot of thunder and lightning.

Now, they do cry. If a momma loses a baby to a coon or whatever, the sound they make is really sad.
Even to somebody that has never heard it before, they can tell something is wrong.

I have done this for a long time and still feel kinda bad when I hear it.

Old 05-10-09, 09:51 AM
In my state, the praying mantis is the state insect. If you get caught killing one, it's a $35 fine, at least that is what it was about 20 years ago.

Old 05-10-09, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
I had heard that the mantis was protected but thought that was an urban myth 'till I read this:
Praying Mantis: Introduced Species Beneficial State Insect of Connecticut | Suite101.com
Now that I learned something I can take the rest of the day off!

Hmm, we've been known to collect a few insects so I guess if we visit Connecticut we'll be going to jail.
Comfy jails in your state?

Old 05-10-09, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
They're protected in PA, too. I have a lot of them in my back yard. I like to pet them! I also pick them up and put them on my shoulder. The males are very friendly, but the females look like they're putting up their dukes, ready to fight me, LOL!

Old 05-10-09, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Must be an affection/competition thing with you Shadeladie..lol

I think mantis' are truly cool to watch..had plenty back in VA..not so many here.

Old 05-10-09, 03:53 PM
Worst thing I ever got caught with is misuse of license plates. Two years expired and from a different vehicle, why misused ? LOL. Got away with it for about 6 months though. That vehicle was insured, just couldn't pass the safety inspection and it wasn't worth the repairs to make it pass. Besides, why would high idle flunk a safety inspection? The penalty for that was get rid of the vehicle and a $75 fine. So I cannot say how the jails were in terms of comfort although the one in the Groton Town Police Dept. didn't look especially comfy. Only saw it because I was cleaning that place for a week when the town union guy was hurt. Two hour job per day without busting your butt, but somehow the union made it a 8 hour per day job.

Old 05-10-09, 06:13 PM
GG, learn something every day...that's my motto!
We found a walking stick one day on my truck. Man, what a funky insect. I thought praying mantis' were weird. This thing changed color almost immediately when it passed from one color to the other. Neat!