Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics > General Chats and Discussions
Reload this Page >

Begging for money online resulting in scam artists replies, not philanthropists

Old 05-09-09, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I told this person I know who is homebound, jobless, disabled and on state assistance, which does not get him by til the end of the month, to "cyberbeg". (Nothing to lose)

That you hear of people doing that on national news and getting like $20,000 or something. So he tries it. Writes up an excellent and all true resume of facts about his bummer situation/health issues.

So a couple days go by and now this guy wants to send him money, after the person I know discloses more personal information. As a prerequisite, he is supposed to recieve more money than just for himself, but then he is supposed to forward someone else's share to the other needy person. Hmmmmmm.

The guy I know notified the webmaster (this is supposedly a nationally acclaimed website that says under it's credentials that it has been featured on most every tv network and other media.

We figure that the website discloses posters e-mail addresses, without permision, to scam artists. Even if this is unintentional of the website, this consequence does occur. Other needy posters on this website say this also is happening to them. And there are some real hardluck cases that are entertaining to read - and sad (if true, of course).

Do any of you have suggestions how to get ahold of philanthropists who want to share their wealth with the needy, without having a goodly percentage go towards charity administration charges?

You hear on the news how some old lady dies and leaves 9 mil to her cats. Or how some hamburger chain heiress leaves millions upon millions to television programming.

There has to be people out there who will give to someone who runs out of money way before the end of the month and has to go to the food pantry and can't afford evern basic cable and sits in the house 99 % of the time. I'd feel like committing suicide if I lived like that. He got lucky and received a $250 stimulus. He was able to send out for some broasted chicken.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-09, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Personally, if I saw something like that (w/o seeing it for real) I'd prob think it was just a scam..and the only people it would attract are other scammers.

To have even a semblance of believability, most stories need to be reported in a newspaper or news program on TV or radio.

Old 05-09-09, 10:56 PM
Instead of begging, try forming a non-profit organization. Most philanthropists are not looking for another dependent. That's what a “beggar” becomes.

Play both sides of the street with the non-profit. Play the middle if you're able. The middle is when the N-P donates to another N-P for a tax deduction. Then N-P2 donates back to N-P1 and takes a tax dedcution. It's legal.

For instance: The Obama project

Are you better off today, and will your children be better off tomorrow, with another four years of the Obama tribe? They voted for hope and change. The question is what's so different about spend and tax? When you're all hoped out and tired of Obama's vision (0) (and he doesn't use crack, smoke marijuana, or take LSD ~ exit strategy excuses).

Help stamp out O bomb it and Bedpan, Palooka and Ho yah.

Don't spend all of your money here, save some for the IRS.

For a two dollar donation [pic of bumper sticker]
For a five dollar donation [pic of it's so impolite]
For a ten dollar donation you'll receive a roll of toilet paper with Obama's face printed on each sheet. You'll receive a second roll with Pelosi's face printed on each sheet free. (We would give them away but we couldn't hire enough illegals.)

-----------------------

Support the American President that will change the face of the nation. President Obama cannot perform a surgical face lift of America in the eyes of the world alone. He needs your continued help and support.

These are trying times, and we know how precious every penny is, so we are limiting the maximum donation to ten dollars ($ 10.00). Every penny out of every dollar you donate will be a solid spike in the tracks of a new America. From North to South, and East to West, from Sea to Shining Sea, your donation will transform America into the vision held dear by President Obama, and so many Americans.

Barack Obama is a talented surgeon. Joe Biden is a great anesthesiologist. Nancy Pelosi is a wonderful trauma team nurse, but more team members are needed. More talented people need to be trained, and we need more surgical teams.

Drive a spike for America! Donate now! (Almost makes me want to salute)

Old 05-10-09, 04:46 AM
ecman, suggest to this person that a longer version of his story might make an e-book. Then sell the book. He can even mail out updates as the situation continues, like a real live mystery where everyone is waiting for the dramatic conclusion.

This way he is expanding his options. If the book sells, he is all set. The book could stir up some sympathy and a philanthropist and again he is all set. Or the problem continues and the book gets better which should eventually lead to one of the above.

Bud

Old 05-11-09, 09:14 AM

I know what you are saying about beggars becoming dependants. But there are plenty of hardluck cases out there, that have it rough. There maybe is not enough jobs and good clever ideas to go around for all of them.

There are people with medical issues. And then family and friends have to get a local benefit going for that person so they can pay the hospital some money. But probably more often than not, the amount raised is only some good faith effort. And the hospital costs are only a part of it. The person still may have no job and has to become reliant on others for physical assistance and support - and that's if they were social people who have many friends and acquaintances

So basically though, you seem to think that philanthropists shy away from giving to downtrodden people?, thinking that this will simply make the philanthropist an enabler perhaps to someone's laziness?

There are lazy people out there all right, who have made their own bed in life and now sleep in it. But bad luck befalls others and there is not a lot they can do.

Write a book and sell it? Maybe for someone who got injured while training sharks or alligators, or they fell off a boart into the Amazon and were attacked by piranhas and survived. Or someone who rescued a family from a burning building, saving everyone, but being burned themselves. But for someone who just has medical issues, I don't think they'd sell that many books.

But perhaps I will look inot this matter some more, and see if there are websites out there that give people good ideas how they can legitimately earn cash, even if they can't hardly walk or stand on their feet for any length of time.

You'd think a philanthropist who cares about people and someones possible dire straits, would research some people, and give to those who are really in need, and not just lazy, looking for a handout.

Old 05-11-09, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
A person can be a philanthropist but their generosity is normally handed out by a foundation, both for simplicity and tax purposes.
When you are looking to be blessed by someone's generosity you will be in competition for those dollars and the requests are thoroughly scrutinized by normally more than one person.

What would give your friend an edge in getting this money over any other needy person or group?
The money that is doled out is earmarked for maximum value so why would your friend deserve the money over say a camp experience for a group of single parent children or a contribution to a soup kitchen that serves many homeless people?

I have made several but was only once successful in a foundation request for a youth oriented group and knowing a bit about what they are looking for would say you would do well to look somewhere else for your friend.

A better approach to your friends problem might be through a social services agency, not so much for a handout but for something like employment training or counseling to help turn his "luck" around.

Old 05-11-09, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
their generosity is normally handed out by a foundation,.....

you will be in competition for those dollars and the requests are thoroughly scrutinized by normally more than one person.

....money that is doled out is earmarked for maximum value ..

so why would your friend deserve the money over say a camp experience for a group of single parent children or a contribution to a soup kitchen that serves many homeless people?

....you would do well to look somewhere else for your friend.

A better approach to your friends problem might be through a social services agency, not so much for a handout but for something like employment training or counseling to help turn his "luck" around.
Your reasoning makes sense.