Access to forum

Old 05-15-09, 01:14 PM
Access to forum

According to this forums own set of bylaws "DoItYourself.com allows visitors to post or submit ratings, reviews, comments, suggestions, ideas, questions, answers, diagrams, photographs, other information and communications" as well as attachments that might make communicating a little easier.

My posting rules profile seems to allow only limited access to the forum and its capabilities. IE:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

How do I access the Album feature?
How do I attach a file to the post?
How do I add an attachment to the post?

You get the idea, but more importantly how do you communicate with the forum administrators to ask how these
features are accessed ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-09, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Right here, we watch for questions.

You have the standard set of features for members. Attachments are not currently enabled for the general membership to the best of my knowledge.

I confess, I'll have to check Album feature; I'm not familiar with it.

Old 05-15-09, 01:47 PM
It's those dang CD's nobody makes albums much anymore.

Old 05-15-09, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Testing Album Feature

Test Test Test

Old 05-15-09, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, IF it's enabled for the general membership, go to the Forum main index and click on "User CP". Look for "Pictures & Albums" on the left hand side. Pretty user-friendly from there.

[Feel free to oooh and ahhh at my test pic; nativity barn I made for younger brother's MIL]

Old 05-15-09, 01:57 PM
I guess I am confused ? If I click FAQ and search attachments and then pictures I get the following...

The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.
After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
How do I use albums?
As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.
Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.
• Public albums can be viewed by anyone
• Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
• Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)
How do I upload pictures?
Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.
You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.
All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.
When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

I would just like to be able to use the forum in the best way possible but don't understand why cetrain features are not acessible when they they are clearly advertized to be accessible ????

Old 05-15-09, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
The key word is "may" which means at the Administrator's discretion some features are disabled even though they may be referred to as enabled in the FAQs and other site information sources. You should have no problems posting images either via those stored at places like photobucket or (assuming it is universally enabled) via the Album function here.

Is there something in particular you are trying to accomplish that the restrictions are preventing?

[Super Mod's and Admin jump in anytime here! ]

Old 05-15-09, 02:16 PM
Yes. To answer your question, for immediate use, I would like to provide a visual example of an excel spread sheet that would clarify in an image that which in written dialogue can be confusing to the reader.

There is no nefarious reason other than to simplify communication .

Just wondering mind you, but do you have to belong to a special club or know the secret handshake? What is the criteria to become worthy of this privledge?

Old 05-15-09, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
I wasn't suspecting you of being a stealth spammer or advertiser; they would never ask.

As of right now I do not know if attachments are universally disabled for the general members or if they can be selectively turned on.

Super's, help me out here?

Old 05-15-09, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
If I may stumble into the end of the pool that is way over my head I'll suggest you post the spread sheet to a file sharing site and post the URL. Not what you want to do but a possible work-around.

Old 05-15-09, 02:30 PM
I realize you are trying to be helfpul by answering my questions and I want you to know that I really do appreciate it.

That you are unable to "reach" a Super Moderator or an Administrator for help to resolve this issue is the essential element that has created this problem in the first place.

There seems to be no one to communicate with to solve this problem

I can't believe that I am the only member that has ever had this issue, I just may be the most persistent.

Old 05-15-09, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Okay, IF it's enabled for the general membership, go to the Forum main index and click on "User CP". Look for "Pictures & Albums" on the left hand side. L]
May be blind but i don't see it.

Old 05-15-09, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Max size is 10kb attachments. Have to use the "Post Reply" and not the "Quick Reply" to see it.

Should have a paperclip icon like picture here:

Old 05-15-09, 03:08 PM
Like this?

Old 05-15-09, 03:11 PM
^ Nice cabin!........................but you are just posting a image.

Should be able to attach things with this window:

Old 05-15-09, 03:13 PM
OK, that's cool. Better than having to upload it to another server. BTW, it is a pic of my cabin off my website. No big deal. You needed a URL.
Merlesdad, I reluctantly offer advice, since I have read your replies to those who have tried to help. You seem to think we "know it all", and we don't. We try to help and that's it. You want professional advice, pay for it.
Now, I agree, it will be necessary for you to upload the spreadsheet to a site and then you can use the post reply and attach picture feature. It will work, although it takes a little work.
Good luck with the upload and with your formula problem. I know enough about the raw formulas to be dangerous, so I'll migrate back to my shop.

Larry

Old 05-15-09, 03:23 PM
Now how do you get to that page? We don't have the paper clip next to the smilie icon.

Larry

Last edited by chandler; 05-15-09 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-15-09, 03:31 PM
That's the very question I have been asking all along.

Old 05-15-09, 03:55 PM
If that paperclip is not available when you click "Post Reply", then it's not available for the general public. I've never used since I've been here though.

I suggest taking some classes on Excel. Like mentioned, they have tried to help as much as possible.

Old 05-15-09, 05:01 PM
Chandler says; “I reluctantly offer advice, since I have read your replies to those who have tried to help. You seem to think we "know it all", and we don't. We try to help and that's it. You want professional advice, pay for it”.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that much, if not most of the advice offered in the forum is provided by professionals like yourselves who participate in the forum to help others solve a myriad of problems. Why don’t you charge for it? Why not make them pay for it? Is it because that is not the spirit of the forum? We all use this forum for a variety of reasons. Some to learn, some to teach, some to instruct and some just to try and be helpful and I suspect some as a diversion from the daily grind. I personally believe it is our collective responsibility to share what we can when we can, but again that’s just me.

If you really read my replies, you would know that I have consistently expressed my appreciation to those who have offered help to me, and I will continue to do so.

Now, lets get back to the issue at hand.

Old 05-15-09, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, just an opinion....but the Album thing doesn't show up for me either nor does the paperclip.

And the User guidelines/rules were probably written a long time ago and probably a canned version that came with the software.

They have tried to keep the site as simple as possible from what I've observed in my time here. Pictures and drawing images are allowed, as long as they are stored on someone elses server.

Remember, this site was started by a guy who owned a hardware store or junkyard, something like that, he has since moved on to an internet based hardware supply company.

No one gets payed, and Supermods are really only empowered to do what the site allows. Even Sharp Advise (Da Man) can't make changes to the basic operation The Administrators are probably just some company that gets payed to maintain the site and do upgrades, provide the servers etc.

merlesdad
I'd really suggest that if someone has the knowledge to help with that spreadsheet, you could PM them and exchange E-mail addys. Gotta admit, its a pretty specialized issue you are having, probably wouldn't be a real gain for others to learn about it. As opposed to common HVAC, Car and Plumbing issues.

I wonder where our computer guys are? I know there are several programmers that used to post.

As I said, just an opinion/observation from someone who spends wayyyy too much time here.

Old 05-15-09, 05:32 PM
merles,

Don't take offense to anything I said. It was not meant to be offensive. It is difficult to explain the different formulas to enter in excel through a forum like this. I wish they did enable the attachment features here as well, so we could pull your spreadsheet and see what's going on with it.

It took years just to have them enable IMG files, it might take another 10 years to enable file attachments.

I personally, have taken multiple Microsoft Office classes and helped tremendously.

Old 05-15-09, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
At this time, they don't allow uploading of pics. You have to upload it to a picture site first, then put the link here. The paper clip thing is useless, even if you have it. Doesn't work because you can't upload pictures.
Not familar with the Album feature.
As for the FAQ, everything is covered there, but not everything is actually enabled. I suppose this way, if any features were enabled in the future, they wouldn't have to rewrite the FAQ each time.

Old 05-15-09, 05:54 PM
" Why don’t you charge for it? Why not make them pay for it? Is it because that is not the spirit of the forum?"
It would be un-affordable. The advice given on this forum would cost waaaay to much if on a pay to play basis. We are here because we want to be here......sometimes too long. Ask my wife.
But I agree with using the PM on such a technical question as what you had. We check in on almost all the topics, and when we run up on one that has no responses, we try as best we can to help. I can understand your frustration in not being able to solve the formula.

Old 05-15-09, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
My understanding is that it is easier to limit the size of attachments than it would be to eliminate the feature entirely.
The owners have not wanted to provide server space for this considering that there are so many free photo hosts.

It wasn't that long ago that the "codes" were disabled due to the posting of spam and innapropriate images.
It was the commitment of the moderators to police the forums that it was again allowed.
It also wasn't that long ago that when images were allowed they didn't have the insert images button above this box.

You had to post this line of code using < and > instead of the *.

*img src= "url here"*

You still can use this code and because we do not have automatic image resizing you can use this code to shrink an image:

*img src="url here" width="600" height="440"*

Old 05-16-09, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Chandler, your wife pm'd me and wants to know can we ban you.....

I had just about forgotten about the image arguement. As Greg said, we had a long period when pics weren't allowed, but thankfully that was finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Ray's suggestion would seem to be the way around, i.e. post it to an off-site storage and put a link here for it to be viewed.

Old 05-16-09, 06:23 AM
You lie! She is at work, and I can do what I want to!!! Until I have to vacuum the floors and mop the kitchen.

Old 05-16-09, 06:30 AM
This will be my final post on this subject but I will not go away until I have set the record straight on a few issues.

First, let me state for the record, that I appreciate what the forum provides as a medium for folks to help other folks. For the help I have received, I have tried to be helpful to others and I have tried to show my gratitude. I actually thought that that was the point of the forum.

Not everyone is in a position to hire a professional, but that does not make their need less compelling. The advice given in this forum is not charity but it is the charitable thing to do. I’m not sure how judging the veracity of someone else’s needs or motives are helpful, but I see it all the time.

For the most part, when I have asked for help on any topic I have generally received responses that may not have always solved my immediate challenge, but the responses have certainly been helpful in other less immediate ways. Further, on any of my so called technical questions, I have ultimately received, exactly what I was looking for after a few exchanges. I am NOT the least bit “frustrated” by not being able to “solve a formula” I am only frustrated by my own inability to communicate precisely enough that the reader is provided enough information to be as helpful they might like.

I would suggest only that as Forrest Gump might say, technical is, as technical does! What is technical for one it second nature for others. We all have our expertise and our limitations. Sharing our expertise, will help lift the limitations of all.

How many times have we all read, the same suggestion. Although I admit this is not word for word, it reads something likes this. “It would be helpful if you could post a picture so we have a better idea of how to help.?” Why? Simply because for many problems, words were inadequate to communicate, but which in most case are easily solved, when seen visually. Just yesterday a member was asking about a gap at the bottom of his windows, when prompted, he posted a photo which clearly exposed the problem and an answer to the problem was provided in a few minutes. Such is the power of a picture.

Protestations to the contrary, it is fairly obvious that based on the post that Hot in OKC posted at 4:11, regardless of any file size limitations notwithstanding, Albums & Pictures as well as Attachment management is clearly a feature that is available. You can see them in this thread. All I have asked is why is it not available to the members ? If you take the time to re-read some of the responses, there just appears to be a lot of foot stomping, and “because I said so” going on.
How about instead, working to make the site even better?

That’s all I have to say about that.