Government Budgets

Old 05-17-09, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Government Budgets

If governments are serious about cutting costs, why don't they and their unions agree to realistic cuts. In these tough economic times isn't it a little overdue to cut goverment and public works salaries to what the rest of us get paid in the private sector? Or does this make too much sense?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-09, 08:56 AM
Government union members do not get paid more then non union members. They are still government employees and their salaries are governed by Congress.

I can tell you one thing though, if I did my current job in the private sector, my salary would be doubled.

Old 05-17-09, 09:01 AM
Funny, if I was cleaning a school for a town, instead of a movie theater my salary would be doubled if not closer to tripled.

Old 05-17-09, 09:23 AM
Well you'd be paid by the locality not the federal government.I suspect there are wide variances depending on where and what you do and who you do it for.

But ultimately it's far more about what is done than it's about what someone is paid to do it.

Old 05-18-09, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Government budget = oxymoron.

Old 05-18-09, 11:47 AM
Well, make no mistake about it, state government workers, municipal workers, county workers, teachers, police and firemen in my state get paid well and have a benefit package that is second to none.

While most people in private have had to forego raises and take pay cuts, benefit givebacks etc, the government workers in my state continue to get raises and benefits that are not seen anywhere in the private sector. This is all done on our tax dollars. My opinion, if I have to pay for my benefits and retirement, so should they, I can't afford to pay for mine and theirs anymore.

Old 05-18-09, 01:37 PM
I am a 20-year state government employee, and my dad, brother, and three cousins have all worked in various federal, state, and municipal government positions. I can say from my own family experiences that government workers are paid considerably less than comparable jobs in the private sector. I came to state government from the private sector at a 50% reduction in my salary soley for the reason I was unable to accept my private employer's offer of an out of state transfer. I know that a study performed for state government employees here in Kansas shows that state employees are ranked 40th in pay nationally and are dead last for benefits. The myth of great government benefits is just that.....a myth. We haven't had pay increases since 2001, but the cost of everything is going up, so my paycheck is shrinking. My solution? I'm going to accept the early retirement provisions this summer. Then go back to the private sector and hopefully get vested in their retirement plan. Beer 4U2

Old 05-18-09, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
I think we can agree that much of the pay/retirement benefits for Gov workers varies greatly with the State.

Some states put a great deal of importance on teachers, so they are paid better than states that do not.

Larger cities will normally pay much better than small for police and fire protection.

Back in VA a few years ago, someone had a great idea to save money on teachers salaries by offering early retirement at slightly reduced benefits. Yep, worked great til they then realized they had to hire new teachers and offer better pay to attract them, and 10 years later they were back in the same boat. Oh, and they were hiring some of the "retired" teachers to fill in when the new ones left for greener pastures after a few years experience.

And who remembers when you didn't "pay" into your retirement in the private sector? You just worked for them loyally for 30+ years, and then you retired with a watch and a monthly check plus great health benefits.

Old 05-18-09, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Funny, if I was cleaning a school for a town, instead of a movie theater my salary would be doubled if not closer to tripled.

Ever notice though that when the argument comes up, "they" claim that the gov't worker could make a lot more money if they were in the private sector? I think that is hogwash. And if they really think they could make more and recieve all the perks, then let them all quit and compete for the limited jobs out there still remaining. I think that claim is gov't propaganda.

Old 05-18-09, 06:15 PM
I worked on a city government job (actually two different ones) for six and a half years. I went to a private corporation in 1979 and received an immediate fifty cent per hour raise AND reduced job responsibilities. I stayed with that company for twenty five years and although I didn't get a watch when I retired I do enjoy a pretty decent pension and almost the same medical benefits as when I was working.

I used to hear the stories, mostly from people that never worked a government (civil service) job that once you were in you had a job for life. Well, that is absolutely NOT true. You can be fired for cause or your job can be eliminated just as in the private sector. Nor is it true that public sector jobs have better benefits than do private sector. When I worked for the city I had 7% of my base salary taken right off the top for pension benefits. I had no say over this yet I STILL paid income taxes on this deduction. This amount was supposed to be matched by the city but the truth is that the benefits being paid to the retirees was so low and the investments (of the pension fund) were so high that the city hadn't paid a dime to the pension fund in years.

I had a relatively decent medical plan when working for government but the medical plan I had from my private employer beat it hands down. Had I stayed with the city government I would have had 25% of my unused sick leave deposited as a lump sum for an individual medical plan. Today I enjoy a medical plan that is the same as when I was working except for I now have no dental benefits and a reduced vision benefit. My unused sick leave over the years was deposited in a 401(k) account and the entire amount plus gains is available to me.

There ARE SOME public jobs that have better benefits than equivalent private sector jobs but in almost all cases that is due to strong unions. The majority of public sector jobs do NOT enjoy better pay, better benefits or better job security than their private sector equivalents. I will state that often people with limited skills will get a bit higher pay in a public sector job but they often do nothing to improve their skills despite having programs available.

So yes, if you are comparing the pay and benefits of an entry-level custodian between public and private sectors the public sector employee will get better pay and benefits than the private sector employee. If you compare people in skilled areas then private sector almost always will be better.

Old 05-19-09, 09:35 AM
Entry level, my you know what. Been doing this same job for about 5 years now. However in this economy at least it is a paycheck when a lot of people do not have one these days.

Old 05-19-09, 10:34 AM
In New Jersey, government workers make more than the private sector. They get raises every year, including this year. I'm not buying that argument that government workers make cosiderably less than in the private sector. It may have been that way years ago, but those days are long gone. It's about time they pay their own way like everyone else.

Old 05-19-09, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Ever notice though that when the argument comes up, "they" claim that the gov't worker could make a lot more money if they were in the private sector? I think that is hogwash. And if they really think they could make more and recieve all the perks, then let them all quit and compete for the limited jobs out there still remaining. I think that claim is gov't propaganda.
Yikes. I happen to work for the fed. gov and I can tell you first hand that Gov. workers in the same trade make less the private industry for most jobs and responsibilities. Workers in my field start off at $35k a year in the gov, but the same job in private would start around $55-60k a year. Having a federal job is pretty secure, which is a good benefit, and I help support our troops. Medical benefits are not the best either. I pay about the same as I did when I bought my insurance privately.

So, are you calling me a liar?