reporting spam

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-09, 08:21 PM
nap
reporting spam

it surely would be great if there was some way to report spam and not have it cause us to be blocked from posting for another 180 seconds or whatever it currently is. I tried to report 2 spam posts and it wouldn't even let me do that because it was within the 180 seconds.

It kind of makes me hesitant to report anything because I know I will not be able to post for another 3 minutes after that.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey it could be worse, you could be on dial up

I'm stuck with dial up and rarely get the 180 second message

Old 05-20-09, 08:19 AM
Been there done that....

Why would there be a restriction on spam reporting?

Question #2:Why is it that nobody ever really explains these things?I know mods come along and sort of explain but nothing ever really is addressed or changed.The 180 second rule is unfair.It punishes the entire site for the actions of a very few and should be modified to exempt regulars with posts beyond some reasonable figure like 200 or something.I know this is trivial compared to what else is going on in our lives but it is an aggravation that really isn't necessary.

Old 05-20-09, 09:12 AM
SP David asksQuestion #2:Why is it that nobody ever really explains these things?I know mods come along and sort of explain but nothing ever really is addressed or changed.

It appears for the same reason that they can't seem to respond to forum functionality that is advertized as being available. Some folks have functionality and some don't. But it appears that no one is in charge. I don't mean this in a negative way, however, on a recent post, i actually got 4 different answers from 4 different moderators including super moderators. At least based on their responses, the answers were all speculative rather than absolute.

Old 05-20-09, 09:35 AM
Could be worse.......one forum I visit you have to wait 600 seconds between private messages.

Old 05-20-09, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
This may help explain some, not all of the questions, it also has some info not asked about on this thread. Original thread is here http://forum.doityourself.com/genera...post-mark.html , if you want to read the whole thing...

Posted by Sharp Advice a while back

Not surprisingly,... not everyone fully understands nor appreciates all the reasons for the time and/or character limits....

Detailed explanation below.

The character limits are NOT primarily there to punish nor "penalize" anyone or everyone. The software simply does not separate members or mods by post count or by any other factor. Like many software settings, they are across the board and apply to everyone. And post count really means nothing anywhere on the site anyway.

The time and character limits do help to discourage all but the most determined & hardcore spammers and/or advertisers who's only intent is to spam the site with ads and/or advertisements, etc. All of which none of you like to see in the forum topics and many of you, thankfully report....

The time and character limits work and are not going away. They do help to discourage the "Copy & Paste" spammers whom spam or would like to quickly spam multiple forums. Without the time and character limits us mods would have to cleanup spams in multiple forums.

This multiple forum spamming tends to fend off most spammers. As well as help mods keep their forums clean and free of spam, etc. If any of you where mods and had to do the work a moderator has to do, you would understand and appreciate the time and character limits too!....

The un-thought of benefit to members of having character limits is an attempt to get mods and members to reply with more complete and detailed replies to posted questions. Far to often a one sentence reply does not fully answer the question. And we do get complaints on this issue.

Ever take the time to notice how a member posting a question replies and or responds back to one reply post and not some of the others?

Members asking questions relate to and really due appreciate full and complete answers with many or all details. Instead of one liners, one sentence replies, that say nothing of substance and/or provide nothing of any helpful value....

Put yourself in their shoes and consider how an incomplete reply appears to them.... They tend to feel unimportant and not valued..... Same applies to posts left unanswered....

Many members do appreciate full replies with all the details, solutions and or possibilities etc, and they state so and compliment many of you all in their communications with myself and other staff members how well this site does when compared to competitive sites of this kind.

All due to the fact that they do get better advise on this site then on other sites.... A compliment to many of you but unfortunately not all of you. But it should be to all and not just some, IMO.

And using "WHITE" lettering to defeat the system does nothing but reveal those whom have too much time on their hands. Time that could be put to better use helping those in need of advice, IMO.

Old 05-20-09, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Sharp has the final word, for anyone not familiar with him.

FWIW, even without being reported spam doesn't survive long here before one of the Mod's catches it. Beer 4U2

Old 05-20-09, 08:27 PM
nap
I understand the limitations in place but I still do not like them.

as such, since it prevents me from posting at times and causes great frustration, my only option is to not bother reporting spam or any other such thing that is not productive for me and let the mods handle the problems.

and marksr; no DSL even?

Old 05-21-09, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
We can appreciate the frustration but the time limitation is not going away any time soon.

If there is no time to report posts that is ok as many mods are already moving these spam posts and super and group mods are banning the members.
Plus, it is a duty of the super and group mods to scan the new posts looking for bad ones.

Greg

Old 05-21-09, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"marksr; no DSL even"

No, my only options are dial up or satelite and at $60 per month and $600 worth of equipment, satelite isn't an option

You'd think that as much as the phone company and cable company spend on sending me advertisements for their services that aren't available in my area [but is 3 telephone poles down the road] they could run the cable. The phone company even called me up a few days ago trying to get me to use their DSL, when I replied they didn't service my address, they checked and said we also offer dial up

The local electric company announced a few years ago they would make hi-speed available to all their customers. I inquired if that included me and was told they would have to get back to me. A few months ago it was in the news that they had fiber optic run to over 90% of their customers. I've not seen their trucks stringing anymore cable.

but at least I like where I live

Old 05-21-09, 05:20 AM
We can appreciate the frustration but the time limitation is not going away any time soon
No disrespect but this almost sounds like a response from the government. How about giving an answer that explains the reasoning. As a general rule, the only reasons not to do anything is either because the individual can't or won't. Which is it? Whatever the answer it would at least be honest,

This forum could really be something worthwhile if it wasn’t for what appears to be arbitrary limitations that are imposed by what may as well be th great and powerful Oz, or whoever is sitting behind the curtain.

Smilies as cute, functionality would be way more worthwhile.

Old 05-21-09, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
No disrespect but unlike the government this forum is not a democracy.
It is being run according to the wishes of the owners whether any of us like it or not.

All the suggestions to improve the forum are great but obviously do not fit into how this forum is expected to be run.

Enough said.

Closed Thread