She is accused of turning in fraudulent claims. What about THIS guy?

Old 05-21-09, 06:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
She is accused of turning in fraudulent claims. What about THIS guy?

There is this lady who ran a nearby dare-care-center. She wrote up false reports to be reimbursed over $100,000! It is in todays paper and I can't recall exactly what the figure is. Now she has to go to court and is in serious doo-doo.

I happen to know this guy who lives near me who has somehow been able to get on full disability from the gov't. Is he in a wheelchair and has to be spoonfed by his wife? No,.. he is up and about bright-eye and bushytailed and rigs up his boat and 4 x 4 to go fiishing and goes hunting, likely draggign out the big bucks he gets every year. He also goes bear hunting and bagged one. What in the...!!! Who is allowing this non-sense?!

I hurt my back my back years ago, badly and had to work on my own, suffering every day. Never collected a dime from anybody. I made it by doing all kinds of jobs for people.

Can't he be encouraged by the gov't, to get a delivery job, use his high pressure water blaster (he has used that to help some local people out anyway) for hire, or to do house painting, or any number of things? He was using a snowblower every snowy day this winter!

It is criminal of the gov't itself to allow this.

It is not like he is collecting from an insurance claim accident. It is from some degenerative condition. My eye! He is no worse off that I can see, than he was 4 or so years ago when he was using his cane more (for show to locals?).

I bet this stuff goes on all over the country. And maybe you can't fault him if the gov't allows this? Then the gov't agency must come under fire? What happened to "if you don't work, you don't eat!"?(if it's all possible that you can)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Ya know..almost every Agency that pays disability has a Fraud Dept. Normally, from what I understand, they only check up on people for a year or 2, then its put in the permanent file.

If a scammer can avoid being caught for long enough, they just skate from then on.

Personally..the ones that get me the worst are the "mental" disabilities...so stressed they can't work. WELL...go dig ditches, mow lawns, paint guardrails...how much stress can that be?

Old 05-21-09, 02:32 PM
Seems like you have issues with government employees. That's really too bad.

I personally know numerous people getting 100% disability from the gov because of their medical condition. Just because they are no wheel chair bound, does not mean they aren't disabled. One close friend of mine gets blood clots and has the potential to kill him anytime. It's really ignorant of you to think anyone who is getting disability is a fraud.

I'm willing to bet there are a zillion more people commiting insurance fraud on the private side then all the people in the Gov. Whats the deal ecmans? Also, it's really none of your business either why someone might be on disability. Last I knew, medical information is very private.

Old 05-21-09, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, always depends on the situation of course, but it sounds like the neighbor is leading a normal active life.

I worked with a guy who was a Gov contractor...he was on 100% military disability because of sleep apnea...uhh excuse me? How does Navy service cause or aggravate that? Plus he was about 100lbs overweight, drank, and smoked. Oh, and he was also a 20yr retiree so he pulled a lot more than normal. And he could still go on missions overseas, hang at the clubs, and climb all the ladders just like the rest of us.

Sure, there are conditions that aren't apparent, but if some one just can't do the SAME job they used to do, doesn't mean they are disabled.

I know..the rules/laws are written as they are written..and if someone takes advantage of the laws as written, I don't think I can blame them.

I have military disability from shot knees and a bad shoulder due to an incident, but they reduce my retirement by the amount of my disability, so I get over by about $60 due to non-taxable benefits.

Sorry Mark, but if I saw something similar going on, I'd at least make a phone call or write a letter..and yes, I'd put my name on it. I've done it for child abuse, animal abuse, theft..why wouldn't I do it for this. We all pay for this kind of thing..in one way or another.

Not trying to start anything..it IS a general discussion area.. right?

Old 05-21-09, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure there are dead beats collecting disability who aren't disabled but like Mark, I know there are those out there that are disabled and deserve the help they get.... and those with high medical costs proabably deserve more $

Not all disabilities are readily apparent. You might be able to do a hard days work for an hour or two and then if you have to spend a day or two recuperating from that work... there will be those that think that person has nothing wrong with them [saw them work] but they don't see where that person couldn't hardly get around afterwards.

I know a boy that got hurt on the job and has been on disability for over 20 yrs. The landlord and pharmacy eat his whole check [sometimes more]. His wife has to work to buy groceries, pay utilities etc. Fortunately their kids are now grown and she only has to work 1 job. Their credit is shot. He told me he tells the doctors 'you get 80% from medicare, if I pay the 20%, I can't buy the meds, don't buy the meds, I won't be around long enough for you to collect the 80%'

But back to the original question, I'm sure the gov't disability program has a # to report abuse of the program.

Old 05-21-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Seems like you have issues with government employees. That's really too bad.

I personally know numerous people getting 100% disability from the gov because of their medical condition. Just because they are no wheel chair bound, does not mean they aren't disabled. One close friend of mine gets blood clots and has the potential to kill him anytime. It's really ignorant of you to think anyone who is getting disability is a fraud.

I'm willing to bet there are a zillion more people commiting insurance fraud on the private side then all the people in the Gov. Whats the deal ecmans? Also, it's really none of your business either why someone might be on disability. Last I knew, medical information is very private.

Issues with gov't employees? Hmm. Sounds like you are trying to play detective on my personality rather than simply addressing my post. I may have issues the way the gov't goes about certain things, as many others do. I do not think I'm in some radical minority. I am trying to think if I actually blamed employees specifically. I think we can lay blame to those actually in charge, if there is just cause for some blame. But not for us to go ballistic on those that don't make the decisions.

Don't you get the inkling the guy is not really "disabled"(enough). I'll bet I was more disabled during that year than he is. Is there someone close to you that resembles the guy I am posting about? I thought I stated basically an inarguable position, saying the guy goes around acting perfectly normal. And I'm being accosted for thinking the guy should be able to work at something to earn his keep? How can that thinking be at all flawed?

Old 05-21-09, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I hope one does not have to fear making a post on ideas in a perfectly civil discourse.

Old 05-21-09, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Ouch...ok...time to relax..I don't think ecman said anything about Gov emplyees..I think he said the Gov should keep a closer eye (not that I agree with more Gov eyes) on things.

But if its a non-Gov payment..they won't be looking at anything.

Ec...you don't want MORE Gov looking over peoples shoulders, do you? More regulation just means more people bleeding the veins of the people who pump the blood of the country.

Old 05-21-09, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Not all disabilities are readily apparent. You might be able to do a hard days work for an hour or two and then if you have to spend a day or two recuperating from that work... there will be those that think that person has nothing wrong with them [saw them work] but they don't see where that person couldn't hardly get around afterwards.
I work and feel shot for 3 days afterwards, at times. Yet I prod onward!

Something is wrong if someone can just go around joy riding and playing all day at our expense, and be able to run big heavy snowblowers and trapse through the woods -yet manage not to do any work.

But back to the original question, I'm sure the gov't disability program has a # to report abuse of the program.
Well, first I'd simply talk to someone to get the lowdown on the program, without naming names, till I found out more about if it were worth doing so.

Old 05-21-09, 05:38 PM
I worked with a guy who was a Gov contractor...he was on 100% military disability because of sleep apnea...uhh excuse me? How does Navy service cause or aggravate that?
He's lying. Sleep Apnea is a 60% disability. Also, the government is responsible for aggravating any preexisting condition, regardless if the condition was from preservice.

Oh, and he was also a 20yr retiree so he pulled a lot more than normal.
How much is more than normal? Retirement pay is not alot unless you were a higher ranking officer. Enlisted retirement is chump change. Here's a link to current pay charts. Retirees get much less per month then whats listed here.

Military Pay Tables

Sure, there are conditions that aren't apparent, but if some one just can't do the SAME job they used to do, doesn't mean they are disabled.
They, meaning gov or private, don't ask what your "future" jobs are going to be. Also, a 100% disabled person cannot work for any federal or state agency, legally. So, if you "know" someone who says they are 100% and legally working and paying taxes, they are lying and/or breaking the law.

I have military disability from shot knees and a bad shoulder due to an incident, but they reduce my retirement by the amount of my disability, so I get over by about $60 due to non-taxable benefits.
They no longer do this.

Sorry Mark, but if I saw something similar going on, I'd at least make a phone call or write a letter..and yes, I'd put my name on it. I've done it for child abuse, animal abuse, theft..why wouldn't I do it for this. We all pay for this kind of thing..in one way or another.
I agree there are frauds, no doubt about it, but you can't just go around assuming that person is even telling the truth that they are disabled.

I have no problem with this thread. I also have very thick skin

For what it's worth, I have been fighting the V.A. the disability they owe me, so it's not like they are giving it away like candy.

Old 05-21-09, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Mark..yer wrong about the offset..unless they are combat related or over a certain percentage (not sure what) your retirement is indeed reduced by the amount of your VA benefits. Trust me, I follow this stuff, have been since I retired in 2000. They (the Vet organizations) have been trying to get it changed for years.

And what I asked was how does military service aggravate sleep apnea...normally caused by excess weight, alcohol consumption, etc. There are treatments as well..but anyway..I don't see how it was aggravated by sleeping in a bunk and getting 3 squares. Of course I was going by what he said..but he was pretty open about it. Even advised me how to get over as well, since I was still active duty but close to retirement. And btw..this was about 15 years ago..things change..but the payments don't, once it's been decided.

100% disabled payments to me means..you CAN"T work and support yourself...Gov contractors are not Gov employees...so why would the Gov care..even though they may be paying this guy $2000-3000 a month, because of his issues, and they pay the contractor another $3000 for his salary.

I don't know what you consider chump change. Sure an officer who was making $80-90K a year is going to make more than an enlisted guy...but believe me..what my wife and I bring home from our retirement isn't "chump change". And those officers sometimes get a big surprise when they see their first retirement checks. They have so many allowances, special pays, and such (not that all enlisted don't), that many times the percentage of their old check that they take home is less than an enlisted guy. It also depends on how many years you served and when you enlisted..they have several different scales.

I never said I would assume anything..I was basing my response on what Ecman provided..and heck yeah I'd probably notify someone. My neighbor back in VA fell through a wherehouse roof at the shipyard..paralysed, in a wheelchair. He didn't collect disability or a multimillion doller payment. He continued to get his salary and health coverage as if he was still working. And yes..I know that for a fact...he was on the TV. He was written up in local papers. I knew other people that knew the details. If all of a sudden he was up walking around and pushing a lawn mower..I'd be plenty curious.

If you are trying to deal with the VA directly..that is an uphill battle. If you haven't already, find your local Vets association (AmVets, DAV, etc) that offers benefits counselors...Its amazing what they can get done that you and I couldn't. They know the rules and who to call.

Ok...dinner time..see ya'll later

Peace out...lol

Old 05-21-09, 06:45 PM
Full retirement and disability took place for people retiring after 2004. It's called the Concurrent Receipt.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure new retirees get full pay.

Old 05-22-09, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Thats the one I was talking about..but it's still the 50% limit that I mentioned earlier, but couldn't remember the %....

Simple word explanation here..Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) Overview - Military Benefits - Military.com ....easier than trying to sort though some of the stuff at the VA site.

Old 05-24-09, 07:19 AM
I gave an ex-vet some money and he handed me the poppy. We talked for quite a while. I told him that I cannot believe that a damaged vet(in ANY way, including mental) can't get anything he/she wants for serving their country and often putting their lives on the line.

I think it be an interesting discussion to expand on the VA and what previous medical admittance requirements and funding was, as compared to today. And what some of theri reasoning was/is.